Tennis Forum banner

Superstition - Will Masha win another slam in 2013?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  JoPova 
#1 · (Edited)
I wonder - seeing that Masha has won all her slams in even years - That is: 2004 - 2006 - 2008 and 2012 (I actually bet on her 4 times in 2010 already - but I assume that was a lost "even year") - She also has won her slams in order (Wimbledon - USO - AO and last FO) and always in straight sets - She was always wearing black or white during these slam finals

Now - If Masha is going to follow this tradition of hers - we can not expect another slam from her during 2013 (but hopefully she goes deep in them and win heaps of other titles) but she probably wins Wimbledon 2014 and starts a new cycle

Don't take my thread to serious - I am just curious about your thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Superstition - Is Masha going to win another slam in 2013?

She needs to wear white at every Slam in 2013, to increase her chances of winning a Slam in an odd year! :lol:

#5 ·

there is debt for Masha from 2010 , so superstition should take a rest for a while

#10 ·

It looks like only a few - if even anyone at all but myself believes in fate - Of course I'm hoping that Masha can win another slam or two next year - but I doubt it since I believe in fate - Hit me on the head for my thread by the end of next year if Masha has proven me wrong and I'll smile and look happy while y'all are doing it - :lol:

#12 ·

I don't think superstition has anything to do with it. If you take Serena out of the equation Maria has a good chance of winning another major next year. But if Serena plays at the same level that she did from Wimbledon onwards this year it reduces everyone else's chance of winning one by 50 or more percent. Not that it would make it impossible for Maria (or Vika for that matter) to win one, but the odds would drop dramatically. Even so, on clay she could possibly be a match even for Serena, so I still think that the FO is her best bet. But there is of course no guarantee that the 2013 Serena WILL be as great as the 2012 one, and as always there will be surprises in terms of certain people doing better than we now expect and others worse.

#13 ·

Well, her French Open followed the string of results prior to her USO with lose in 3rd round to an (at the time) lower-ranked but more accomplished GS Champion who loses their next round (Pierce in 2004 and Henin in 2010), lose in Semi to eventual first-time GS champion the next year(Clijsters 2005 and Li 2011) and win it all the following year. So, in 2013, she's obviously going to win Rome again, flame out of RG against Heather Watson or another young defensive player and win it all in Wimbledon after having been obliterated on the same court in a final the previous year (Serena both times).

You can make so many cosmic patterns that they're all going to clash at some point or another. It's fun to think about, but at the end of the day, it's how Maria performs on a particular day and how she handles her opponents. "That's why they put the nets up..."

To answer your question, hope she does. :)

#14 ·

I've already read an article predicting that Serena would win all four slams next year. :rolleyes: Scary thought, but based on what we saw in the second half of 2012, I don't blame the media for going all in with Serena. It could definitely happen if she's as healthy and focused in 2013. But I've already said how much Serena sucks the fun out of watching tennis for me, so I try not to think about it too much.

Truthfully, I prefer seeing Serena win instead of Vika, so "The Injured One" getting shut out would be a small consolation.

As for Maria, I like where she is with her game in many ways. If she stays healthy, I think she's now entering the peak of her career. She can play some great tennis in these next few years if she keeps that fire and desire. Her attitude remains awesome and she seems very content and happy with her life. If she continues to improve her game, there's no reason why she can't win several more tournaments and get to slam finals. Serena keeps me from making predictions in 2013. Remember, Maria made those 3 slam finals in the past two years with Serena struggling to return from her injury. She took great advantage of that. Based on the way Maria played this year, I would confidently predict at least 2 slam finals appearances with one victory for her in 2013 if Serena was out of the picture. But with her around, I'll take a cautious wait and see approach and hope for the best.

#16 ·

I've already read an article predicting that Serena would win all four slams next year. :rolleyes: Scary thought, but based on what we saw in the second half of 2012, I don't blame the media for going all in with Serena. It could definitely happen if she's as healthy and focused in 2013. But I've already said how much Serena sucks the fun out of watching tennis for me, so I try not to think about it too much.

Truthfully, I prefer seeing Serena win instead of Vika, so "The Injured One" getting shut out would be a small consolation.

As for Maria, I like where she is with her game in many ways. If she stays healthy, I think she's now entering the peak of her career. She can play some great tennis in these next few years if she keeps that fire and desire. Her attitude remains awesome and she seems very content and happy with her life. If she continues to improve her game, there's no reason why she can't win several more tournaments and get to slam finals. Serena keeps me from making predictions in 2013. Remember, Maria made those 3 slam finals in the past two years with Serena struggling to return from her injury. She took great advantage of that. Based on the way Maria played this year, I would confidently predict at least 2 slam finals appearances with one victory for her in 2013 if Serena was out of the picture. But with her around, I'll take a cautious wait and see approach and hope for the best.
The media always hops on the Serena bandwagon and then something goes wrong. Like I think she's the best ever and all, but she's never been the dominant player for longer than 12 months at a time. She's hasn't stayed healthy that long, so it'll be a first if Serena dominates next year from beginning to end. I think she'll probably defend her 2 slams, but I'm not about to pick against Maria at Paris and IDK if Serena will be as dominant in OZ just cause the surface is slower.

#17 ·

she has made 3 GS finals and 2 SF in last 7 slams so i expect her to reach some finals next year but the problem will be opponent in the final, where are those time when she beat Serena, Henin and Ivanovic to winning slams :sobbing: Errani is good player but nowhere near to those three

#18 ·

Honestly, I'm one of those who's predicting another Serena Slam. Nobody is going to beat her at Wimbledon, that's for sure. She'll be extremely motivated to win the French and she has a very good chance. As for the two HC majors, who's there to beat her? Vika? :spit: She's just so incredibly superior to her competition :worship: If an upset happens though, Maria needs to seize the opportunity!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.