i refuse to support american tennis players other than venus, serena, and monica. - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 52
     
i refuse to support american tennis players other than venus, serena, and monica.

can you believe that racist crowd support for justine henin against the american serena? america will never have a grand slam champ other than serena and venus again. if jennifer or lindsay was playing, the support would be total for them. south carolina is a racist state anyway. it's a shame when your home country cant support you. but that's america, the most racist country in the world. i would rather live in iraq.
kennethw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Tennisfan-Mtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 32,810
                     
Racist ???

Well, how can you really blame it on racism ??? That's too easy....
Tennisfan-Mtl is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: chapter nine
Posts: 444
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
can you believe that racist crowd support for justine henin against the american serena?
Yes. Maybe because they support the underdog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
america will never have a grand slam champ other than serena and venus again.
how do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
it's a shame when your home country cant support you. but that's america, the most racist country in the world.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
i would rather live in iraq
What's stopping you?


This is by far the most stupid post I've ever seen. And all this because Serena *I want to be undefeated* Williams lost a match.

Justine Henin-Hardenne

Marat...?
NaturalBlues is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania
Posts: 508
                     
kennethw

kennethw is confusing rooting for the underdog with bigotry and racism.
sperosgeorgejr is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Venus Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,233
                     
I don't think it was racism at all.

I believe the crowd was rooting for Justine because they wanted the Serena or Williams domination to come to an end, and I understand why. Who, other than a Williams fan, would want one person or even sisters dominate others?? They just want a different winner, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Congrats Justine on a great victory.

QUEEN VEE


Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 320
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
i would rather live in iraq.
Yawn!

Don't let the door hit you on the ass....You know the rest.
Consistency is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,579
                     
i heard a lot of support for serena too...
laughs at
america is the most racist country in the world and that comment on how you wold rather live in iraq... tell me- are u here all week?
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
LeonHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Wherever Martina goes...
Posts: 8,813
                     
LoL...go ahead!! Don't even talk english as a matter of fact! go and learn Iraqi

Good Luck Radwanska Sisters!


Sorana Cirstea - Stefanie Voegele - Michelle Larcher de Brito - Alexandra Dulgheru



Martina I will miss you!!
LeonHart is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
yukon145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Back in America
Posts: 5,374
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
can you believe that racist crowd support for justine henin against the american serena? america will never have a grand slam champ other than serena and venus again. if jennifer or lindsay was playing, the support would be total for them. south carolina is a racist state anyway. it's a shame when your home country cant support you. but that's america, the most racist country in the world. i would rather live in iraq.
I'm sure Iraq would welcome you with open arms, and have you ever watched a match when the William sisters are playing? The crowd is always for the other player, no matter where they are playing.
yukon145 is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,619
                     
kennethw, I understand where you're coming from. This is something, as a Williams fan, you have to get used to. Even my friends who don't normally watch tennis, but are forced to because of me, notice the crowd's lack of support for V&S. On of my friends called me today. We were both watching the match and chatting about it. All he could talk about was the lack of support for Serena. There was a point where Serena doublefaulted and they cheered. He couldn't believe it. I told him to get used to it. If Jennifer, Lindsay, Monica or any other white American player was dominating the tour, I would bet my last dollar that the America crowd would cheer for them. They would be respectful to the other player, but they'd cheer more for the American. This is a reality that I've learned to live with.

This doesn't stop with America, it expands into Europe. I remember Wimbledon 2000 singles final with Lindsay and Venus. Although Venus was the underdog in that match, you didn't get the sense that people really wanted her to win her first GS title.

If I can recall correctly, I think Zina Garrison made it to the finals of Wimbledon, to play Martina N, one year. I didn't see the match, because I wasn't following tennis at that time, but I can remember someone saying that there was more support for Martina N. than for Zina G., because people wanted her to win her 9th Wimby title. Is it possible that the crowd didn't want to see a black woman win it? After all, Zina was the underdog, hence, she should've gotten more support from the crowd. No? Somebody please correct me on this if I'm wrong.

This is why I strongly believe that Venus and Serena should not play Fed Cup, Hopman Cup and the Olympics for America. If they cannot get the support from the home crowd, they should not have to represent America.

I don't care about their reception in Europe, or any other continent. However, no one should be booed for silliness.
Freewoman33 is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 361
                     
I can understand why people feel this way. Its easy to be suspicious and think that the reason the crowds don't cheer for Serena as much is because of racism. And maybe for some ignorant people in the crowd, that's true. But I don't think the majority of them felt that way today.

How exciting would it have been for Serena to win today?!?! Win another tournament? Like she's been doing all last year and this year? By now people want to see someone take down the most dominant player in tennis. It certainly is more exciting. And today, even though I am a Williams fan, I was happy for Justine.

The point is, people root for the underdog, and against Serena these days, everyone is the underdog. EVERYONE. So don't expect people to be cheering for her unless she's about to win the Grand Slam or something.
SerenasMelons is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 204
                     
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW NOW!!!!!!

its not racism. The fans/ crowd was just cheering for the under dog. And plus to tell you the truth, I think people are just tired of seeing serena win all the time. I mean, i respect her for what she has accomplish but not everyone like serena or even her sister. People here int he U.S. have the freedom to cheer who they want and to liek who they want.

And i think its stupid that people who dislike the william sister is being accuse of being racism. Its pathatic becuase its the only reason that they can come up with. first richard, now their fans.

Maybe the people who are accusing other people of racism should know why they dont liek serena and venus first and then make thier judgement.
Xuan121 is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ktwtennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 3,338
                     
Notice he hasn't shown up to live up to the results of his stupid post...

Visit MONICA!

I am a sinner too!
Jesus answered and said to him[Nicodemus, a Pharisee],"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again[of the Spirit/above], he cannot see the kingdom of God."--John 3:3

Good works can't save you from hell!! Jesus loves you and wants to be in your heart and mind!!!

I will worship Jesus forever!
ktwtennis is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Senior Member
 
dreamgoddess099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost in time
Posts: 6,352
                     
For all of the whites or foreigners in the thread who think it not racism (as if you have experianced any of to be able to call it if you did) why, if the crowd always supposedly cheers for the underdog, why were Venus and Serena getting cheered against when THEY were the underdog and not winning all of the grandslams? At the French Open when Capriati played against Serena, Capriati was cheered for when she was the number one seed, had won three grandslams, and was cursing all over the place. At the time, Serena had not won a grandslam since 1999, was reguarded as being a choker, and had lost to Jennifer four times in a row. The crowd still favored Jennifer and gave Serena little to no support. But I guess some of you people didn't pickup on that (probably because you don't have to deal with any racism). So much for cheering for the underdog. If any of you had so much as a clue about what it is like to experiance racism, you wouldn't be so ignorant and try to discredit so many who have. Just the fact that some of you try so hard to discredit those who have proves that you know it does exist, you just don't want to admitt it. Well, not all people have the ability to just turn away.

Last edited by dreamgoddess099; Apr 14th, 2003 at 12:40 AM.
dreamgoddess099 is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,064
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethw
can you believe that racist crowd support for justine henin against the american serena? america will never have a grand slam champ other than serena and venus again. if jennifer or lindsay was playing, the support would be total for them. south carolina is a racist state anyway. it's a shame when your home country cant support you. but that's america, the most racist country in the world. i would rather live in iraq.

forgive me if i am wrong but i am almost positve that this is coming from the poster who startd a thread during the nasdaq-100 open about how it was good that people were booing the russian and french players for their nation's stance on the war with iraq, and he was counting down the number of them losing and then cheering with joy that the stupid russian blondes were getting what they deserved. maybe your point has some validity, although you are over-simplifying it to a significant extant, but you are not someone who has the right to get on their moral high-horse. YOU ARE A RACIST!!!!
switz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome