• IW Final: V. Azerenka def. M. Sharapova 6-2 6-3

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Miami Final: A. Radwanska def. M. Sharapova 7-5 6-4

Votes: 31 8.1%
  • Doha Final: V. Azerenka def. S. Stosur 6-1 6-2

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Olympic Final: S. Williams def. M. Sharapova 6-0 6-1

Votes: 285 74.0%

Most embarrassing big final for the WTA 2012?

26K views 269 replies 118 participants last post by  May Hemme 
#1 ·
Now that the 4th slam is finished, we can evaluate the up and down year that was 2012, unfortunately finals were more one sided than they were competitive and didn't really show the WTA in the best light.

So which final was more embarrassing for women's tennis?

#25 ·
None of those are embarrassing for the WTA. Unless you're using a meaning of the word I'm unfamiliar with.

OZ and the Olympics were both rather embarrassing for Sharapova, but in sports, dominant champions are not unknown. When Mike Tyson was destroying everyone in sight, it wasn't an embarrassment for boxing. He was that good.

#43 · (Edited)
Couldn't agree more with this. Mike Tyson fights were huge, event TV and if you arrived at your friends house to watch it late - like, I mean 30 seconds into the first round late - you were likely out of luck.

However, if we except the OP's premise then, the '07 AO final HAD to be it. Embarrassing finals beat Downs were unprecedented for Maria at that time. that result was shocking, devastating and embarrassing for her. that tournament was supposed to be a confirmation for Maria as the next great, dominant thing. It was supposed to be an anointing for her - confirmation of her ascendancy and justification for her being the WTA "It-Girl."

#38 ·
Whilst the Olympics were embarrasing for the WTA in terms of the spectactle, I personally thought the most embarrasing one was the RG final. Errani had absolutely no business being in a slam final and was completely overpowered by Sharapova, as she should have been by either Ivanovic, Kuznetsova or Stosur. It felt more like a 3rd Round slam match where elite big-hitter beats plucky but weaponless no-hoper than a slam final.

#45 ·
Perfect post.

I think RG final was one of the most embarrassing of all time, maybe even worse than the 6-0 6-0 Graf handled in 88 :spit:

At least in the Olympics Final 2 superstars were battling(one getting humiliated) each other, unlike in Paris, where a scrub from nowhere reached the final :facepalm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.