Lindsay faces late test
Davenport faces late test
By Paul Malone
January 17, 2004
FORMER champion Lindsay Davenport will test her strained right shoulder tomorrow night before deciding whether to withdraw from the Australian Open.
Davenport is optimistic she will not be a third top-10 player to pull out of next week's Open.
But she had also been positive a day earlier about her chances of playing in an adidas International semi-final that she ultimately defaulted last night to top seed Justine Henin-Hardenne.
Davenport, the last former Melbourne Park champion in the women's field after the withdrawals this week of injured trio Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati and Mary Pierce, said she would speak to tournament director Paul McNamee about a Tuesday start to give her extra time before putting her strained right pectoral muscle under match strain.
World No.2 Kim Clijsters, the other main injury doubt in a weakened women's event, was at Homebush Bay for much of yesterday's rain-affected day session, but sought physiotherapy and stayed clear of the practice court for a third consecutive day.
Davenport, 27, champion in 2000, said she would forgo serving practice in her decisive session and hope she recovers in time for a first-round match against Romanian Ruxandra Dragomir-Ilie.
"I made the decision based on how I thought I was feeling today and what's coming up. If it comes up next week, I don't know what I'll do," Davenport said. "I'll have to take that decision at that time. It was pretty painful when I woke up and extremely tight."
Open spokesman John Lindsay said Clijsters remained in the field and she drew the experienced German Marlene Weingartner, ranked No.51, as one of the tougher first-round opponents.
The Open's draw cast Davenport and Henin-Hardenne into a seeded quarter-final showdown at Melbourne Park shortly before Davenport had handed the Belgian an uncontested passage to today's singles final at Homebush Bay.
"The doctors feel three or four days rest will make a huge difference and increase the chance of it healing completely. I don't want to do anything which would keep me out for a month."