Questioning Lindsay's Pilot Pen Final Withdrawal - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
                     
Questioning Lindsay's Pilot Pen Final Withdrawal

I'm a loyal women's tennis fan and Pilot Pen and US Open attendee for years. I'm beginning to question Lindsay's motives in regards to pulling out with a "shoulder injury" while down 6-1, 1-0 to Justine Henin-Hardenne at the Pilot Pen women's final match (15-20 minutes into match). She has looked just fine at the US Open (in fact I attended two of her matches there and no signs of the shoulder injury she used as an excuse in New Haven just days earlier). Also, this is the second time I've been left holding a $50.00 ticket for a Davenport final or semi-final at the Pilot Pen with her claiming to be injured at the Pen only to miraculously show up at the Open with no sign of the reported injury. Is our beloved Lindsay feigning injuries when she knows she's going to lose to keep as much fuel in the tank for the US Open as possible? It's an open question. I don't know. I'm not a medical specialist but I am beginning to think that Lindsay's a bit of an actress when she needs/wants to be. Her actions are also making me think long and hard about purchasing tickets for the women's matches when I know Lindsay's in the draw.
beatles2006 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
lindsayno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 5,227
                     
why would she play a tournament all week if she was just gonna quit in the final....?!

LINDSAY DAVENPORT!
Say what you like about Davenport, but shes achieved what most others could only dream of!

Jelena Jankovic
Mary Pierce MARTINA HINGIS! Kim Clijsters Ana Ivanovic
lindsayno1 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,741
                     
well she is retiring soon so u wont have to bother!! and personally i wouldnt want a lindsay fan like u there supporting her if ur going to question her morals like that. Lindsay is one of..if not..the most honest person on tour so she wouldnt fake injury. you seem to forget that at new haven she played for like 4 days in a row and seeing as she had only just come back after almost 6 months off it was inevitable something would go wrong...she isnt a spring chickin anymore...look at the pics in the pic thread of her in tears crying....you still think she is faking??

LINDSAY DAVENPORT


TOWER OF POWER 2006

Kelly is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 48
                     
Lindsay had not played for such a long time and was very happy and suprised to be in the finals. She wouldnt just give up a chance like that if she wasent injured. It had been a very long week for her and she was very disappointed to get injured by the final. She has slowly played herself into this Open and is finally free of the injury. Lindsay is the last person on the tour to do this
davenport124 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 491
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatles2006
I'm a loyal women's tennis fan and Pilot Pen and US Open attendee for years. I'm beginning to question Lindsay's motives in regards to pulling out with a "shoulder injury" while down 6-1, 1-0 to Justine Henin-Hardenne at the Pilot Pen women's final match (15-20 minutes into match). She has looked just fine at the US Open (in fact I attended two of her matches there and no signs of the shoulder injury she used as an excuse in New Haven just days earlier). Also, this is the second time I've been left holding a $50.00 ticket for a Davenport final or semi-final at the Pilot Pen with her claiming to be injured at the Pen only to miraculously show up at the Open with no sign of the reported injury. Is our beloved Lindsay feigning injuries when she knows she's going to lose to keep as much fuel in the tank for the US Open as possible? It's an open question. I don't know. I'm not a medical specialist but I am beginning to think that Lindsay's a bit of an actress when she needs/wants to be. Her actions are also making me think long and hard about purchasing tickets for the women's matches when I know Lindsay's in the draw.
btw, u got d score wrong, lindsay didnt win a single game, judtine won 6-0 1-0 ret.

Top Gun (USA)
Shuai Peng (CHN)
chewy is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
                     
I Just find recovery miraculous

I saw the withdrawal match on Sunday in New Haven and her match a couple days later in New York (both live) and if you believed what Davenport portrayed that Sunday, the recovery a couple days later was miraculous. Maybe modern medical science and cortisone shots explains it.......and maybe not. I'm not saying I know, just that its happened to me twice with Davenport and never with any other tennis player. A few years back I was struck by the same exact thing--she withdrew from Pilot Pen and was healthy as could be at the US Open.
beatles2006 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: PimPim's Place
Posts: 4,866
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatles2006
I saw the withdrawal match on Sunday in New Haven and her match a couple days later in New York (both live) and if you believed what Davenport portrayed that Sunday, the recovery a couple days later was miraculous. Maybe modern medical science and cortisone shots explains it.......and maybe not. I'm not saying I know, just that its happened to me twice with Davenport and never with any other tennis player. A few years back I was struck by the same exact thing--she withdrew from Pilot Pen and was healthy as could be at the US Open.
Or maybe, you should understand the diagnosed injury before pretending to know what you're talking about.

I was in New Haven for the final, and she was in obvious pain. She couldn't serve. Notice how her serve speed dropped as the match went on. It hurt her to pull out of that final. She was sobbing during her speech, because she was so upset - not because of the pain, but because she felt she let the fans down.

The pain in her shoulder was caused by muscle fatigue and swelling of the tendons. This is not uncommon after not playing for a very long time, and then spending long hours on court. Muscle fatigue can be very painful, especially when the tendons are inflamed. But, the injury is very day-to-day, and can feel fine one day, and awful the next. I suffered from shoulder injuries in the past, and if you keep playing with one, it can get really nasty. But if you stop and rest it for a few days, it will feel better, as long as you didn't develop full blown tendonitis around the shoulder/rotator cuff, or didn't do structural damage, like dislocating the shoulder or tearing the RC.
Andrew.. is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3
                     
I've Never Claimed to Know the Answer to this One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew..
Or maybe, you should understand the diagnosed injury before pretending to know what you're talking about.

I was in New Haven for the final, and she was in obvious pain. She couldn't serve. Notice how her serve speed dropped as the match went on. It hurt her to pull out of that final. She was sobbing during her speech, because she was so upset - not because of the pain, but because she felt she let the fans down.

The pain in her shoulder was caused by muscle fatigue and swelling of the tendons. This is not uncommon after not playing for a very long time, and then spending long hours on court. Muscle fatigue can be very painful, especially when the tendons are inflamed. But, the injury is very day-to-day, and can feel fine one day, and awful the next. I suffered from shoulder injuries in the past, and if you keep playing with one, it can get really nasty. But if you stop and rest it for a few days, it will feel better, as long as you didn't develop full blown tendonitis around the shoulder/rotator cuff, or didn't do structural damage, like dislocating the shoulder or tearing the RC.
REPLY:
I never claimed to know the answer or to be a medical specialist. Perhaps you are the expert or are a medical specialist. I'm just a disgruntled owner of two tickets of Davenport matches that lasted less than 20 minutes each. These situations repeating as they did for the same tennis player would naturally rise some questions/suspicions. I'm not alone here as many of my friends in New Haven have raised the same question. I can tell you that I myself have a fatigued shoulder from years of pitching and no matter how much stretching or hot/cold compresses I do the last thing I want to do would be to pitch--in fact as soon as I try to throw a ball there is too much pain--IMMEDIATELY--and it doesn't go away with more pitching.

I do, however, hope your explanation is the right one--it makes me feel alot better about the effort/value I got back in return for buying a ticket. I believe it is one of the possible explanations. In fact in my second email I raise the possibility that the miraculous recovery may be explainable by advances in medical science--didn't I? The other option--that Lindsay over-represented her injury because she knew she was down 6-0,1-0 and the US Open was right around the corner--would be very troubling.
beatles2006 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 95
                     
I honestly don't think Lindsay would have withdrawn for no good reason. If its A couple of days before the US open and anything strats to hurt then your best bet is to be cautious. Rafael Nadal did that in his quarter final match against Llyeton Hewitt at Queens because he didn't want to keep playing and make the injury worse so he couldnt play Wimbledon.

Lindsay was pretty upset about it and she's normally very emotionally incheck so I dont think she was faking.

I'm sorry you paid all that money though for such a poor match.

Lindsay Davenport
Emmanya is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Lindsayfan32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3,612
                     
Lindsay had the said injury prue and simple. Lindsay would've have played out the match if fit even if Justine had beaten her 0 and 0. I understand your frustration but I was surpised as anyone when Lindsay played New York I thought she's have to pull out. I've had dead arm myself and it can be cured in less than 48 hours
Lindsayfan32 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome