Notes about "true fan status", etc. - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Notes about "true fan status", etc.

Recently, I have again come under attack for being too negative about Lindsay. If you feel that way, I am sorry about that.

However, I am not a fan who will be positive all the time. I am positive plenty. When Lindsay loses matches for no reason, or shows no effort, that is usually a TANK. Just because I'm saying that she tanked a match, doesn't mean I'm not a "true fan".

And when it comes down to it, what exactly is the status of a "true fan"? In addition to standing by the player, a true fan also needs to be able to point out the faults of a player, not pretend that everything is great when s/he tanks and pulls crap for no reason.

I'm going to be the first to say that I am amazingly high strung and quick tempered. However, usually when I get angry I have every reason to. When Lindsay tanks, it's obvious, and it's quite annoying. And if someone is acting "negative" about that, they have every right to do so. I admit that I can be very harsh with my comments and I can be a huge bitch, but many times I have been right and gotten jumped on; as is happening now.

Thanks.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
lmfao: for the third time today: Andrew, grow up

Quote:
However, I am not a fan who will be positive all the time.
lol you are hardly ever positive about Linds, you bash her constantly
Elske is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2004, 07:27 PM
country flag Jan
Senior Member
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 2,909
                     
I like to be realistic about Lindsay and her chancs in any match but I also believe I have to 100% positive even when she loses a match I know she could have won. I even don't mind fans being angry with her but what I do not like is bad language in any thread for whatever reason. We all show our disappointment in different ways of course. I just usually feel sick inside and then start comfort eating - how sad am I but thats the way it is.

Still My Girl (As Always) in 2015 - JJ - JELENA JANKOVIC
STEFFI - A LEGEND IN HER OWN TIME
ALWAYS, ALWAYS LINDSAY
Good Luck to Heather Watson, Laura Robson, Kaia Kanepi
Jan is offline  
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
lmfao: for the third time today: Andrew, grow up

lol you are hardly ever positive about Linds, you bash her constantly
K. Please make your point without looking stupid, because that's how I'm gonig to make you look right now:

Please see Stanford thread. I am uber-positive.

I say it how it is. Neither you nor anyone else can tell me that Lindsay doesn't tank. It becomes painfully obviously when/if she is tanking.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2004, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I like to be realistic about Lindsay and her chancs in any match but I also believe I have to 100% positive even when she loses a match I know she could have won. I even don't mind fans being angry with her but what I do not like is bad language in any thread for whatever reason. We all show our disappointment in different ways of course. I just usually feel sick inside and then start comfort eating - how sad am I but thats the way it is.
I'll try to not use excessive bad language.

I agree with you about eating though....

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.
K. Please make your point without looking stupid, because that's how I'm gonig to make you look right now:

Please see Stanford thread. I am uber-positive.

I say it how it is. Neither you nor anyone else can tell me that Lindsay doesn't tank. It becomes painfully obviously when/if she is tanking.
even while you are trying to defend yourself, you say something negative about her...
Elske is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Senior Member
 
foreva lindsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK: Kent
Posts: 8,949
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I even don't mind fans being angry with her but what I do not like is bad language in any thread for whatever reason. We all show our disappointment in different ways of course. I just usually feel sick inside and then start comfort eating - how sad am I but thats the way it is.
i agree...i'm not as bad now.. hehe i've learnt that u have to take the ups and the downs.
Jan your not sad when u comfort eat..we all deal with things differently, i shut off and ignore everyone..not nice i know but thats how i deal with things.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Elena Baltacha Alicia Molik
*Alicia's coming back!!! *

Lisa Raymond Rennae Stubbs Nadia Petrova Anna-Lena Groenefeld
foreva lindsay is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
even while you are trying to defend yourself, you say something negative about her...
It's no use trying to explain something to someone who just doesn't get it, dear.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.
It's no use trying to explain something to someone who just doesn't get it, dear.
oh i do get what you are trying to say here, dear. If she plays bad or chokes or whatever, you have the right to say that, i say that too! (but i don't say it on a messageboard) What bothers me is that you are nearly constantly negative about her. Why are you a fan of her when almost everything she does is wrong in your eyes? yes you can complain about a bad performance, but NOT THE WHOLE TIME try to realise that Lindsay is only human, and plz, try to see some more positive sides your negativity bothers me and many many others, believe me.
Elske is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
oh i do get what you are trying to say here, dear. If she plays bad or chokes or whatever, you have the right to say that, i say that too! (but i don't say it on a messageboard) What bothers me is that you are nearly constantly negative about her. Why are you a fan of her when almost everything she does is wrong in your eyes? yes you can complain about a bad performance, but NOT THE WHOLE TIME try to realise that Lindsay is only human, and plz, try to see some more positive sides your negativity bothers me and many many others, believe me.
I had no problem with her losing at RG, Strasbourg, and Indian Wells, because it was obvious that she tried. Charleston she was just off, so I had no opinion. I have a problem when she tanks matches, such as the Wimbledon third set. And dear, that is the only time I get mad.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRocks89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 3,384
                     
i understand you're angry, but i believe that Lindsay always tries her hardest, Maria was just too good for her that day. and the only thing i don't get is that you're always telling Lindsay to be positive yet ur negative when she loses
LindsayRocks89 is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks89
i understand you're angry, but i believe that Lindsay always tries her hardest, Maria was just too good for her that day. and the only thing i don't get is that you're always telling Lindsay to be positive yet ur negative when she loses
I'm only negative if she tanks. I 100% believe she tanked the third set of that match. Positive = not tanking.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:33 PM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.
I had no problem with her losing at RG, Strasbourg, and Indian Wells, because it was obvious that she tried. Charleston she was just off, so I had no opinion. I have a problem when she tanks matches, such as the Wimbledon third set. And dear, that is the only time I get mad.
1. mad at a player for losing a match..? that's kinda sad, no? i understand if you are disappointed because your fave loses a match, but mad? You should be mad at someone if she/he hurts your feelings or sth, but mad because some person you don't even know personally loses... oh boy...

2. i saw the third set against Sharapova and i still think that Sharapova deserved to win because she was playing a lot better. Lindsay didn't choke, Sharapova was just better. That's just my opinion, you have yours, but that's actually not important. Actually i don't really mind you thinking that Lindsay tanked, but the way you reacted was very wrong, imo. I remember that not only me, but also other Lindsay-fans told you your reaction to her loss was not appropriate.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...88#post3743588
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...05#post3743605

3. http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=124232 in threads like these, you don't really sound positive, huh
Elske is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
2. i saw the third set against Sharapova and i still think that Sharapova deserved to win because she was playing a lot better. Lindsay didn't choke, Sharapova was just better. That's just my opinion, you have yours, but that's actually not important. Actually i don't really mind you thinking that Lindsay tanked, but the way you reacted was very wrong, imo. I remember that not only me, but also other Lindsay-fans told you your reaction to her loss was not appropriate.
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...88#post3743588
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.p...05#post3743605
As I pointed out there, I probably reacted the way Lindsay would have. Please see Australian Open 2000 2r vs. Irvin for more on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elske
3. http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=124232 in threads like these, you don't really sound positive, huh
This goes back to tanking, which I've already beaten to death.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.
As I pointed out there, I probably reacted the way Lindsay would have.
aren't you supposed to react like a fan instead of the person you are a fan of..?
Elske is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome