Thought you might be interested to know.... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
RayRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,073
                     
Thought you might be interested to know....

You know how Lindsay wasn't the only Davenport family member to reprisent the USA in the Olympics....as you know, I'm sure, her dad (Wink as he was called) reprisented the USA in vollyball in the '68 games in Mexico City.

Well, anyway, I bought "The Complete Book of the Olympics - 2004 Edition" and Lindsay's dad is mentioned because all the members of each of the 8 teams are listed. I thought you might be interested in the fact that Lindsay's dad isn't actually called Wink (it's his nickname). He is written as Winthrop "Wink" Davenport.

For the record, USA mens vollyball was placed 7 in that year's Olympics out of 8 entering teams! They won 4 matches and lost 5.....Belgium came 8th (last) having won only 2 and lost 7! The medals were as follows:

1. Soviot Union
2. Japan
3. Czech Republic

Hope this interested you as it did me.....

Rachel
RayRob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 68
                     
Rachel, you are well and truly sad.
threelions is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:05 PM
country flag Jan
Senior Member
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 2,909
                     
Rache, I knew his nickname was Wink, but did not know his name was Winthrop. Sounds quite important don't you think?

Still My Girl (As Always) in 2015 - JJ - JELENA JANKOVIC
STEFFI - A LEGEND IN HER OWN TIME
ALWAYS, ALWAYS LINDSAY
Good Luck to Heather Watson, Laura Robson, Kaia Kanepi
Jan is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Kitty's muff muncher
 
Elske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 27,422
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRob
Belgium came 8th (last) having won only 2 and lost 7!
pffffffffft!
Elske is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
foreva lindsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK: Kent
Posts: 8,949
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
Rache, I knew his nickname was Wink, but did not know his name was Winthrop. Sounds quite important don't you think?
winthrop

LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Elena Baltacha Alicia Molik
*Alicia's coming back!!! *

Lisa Raymond Rennae Stubbs Nadia Petrova Anna-Lena Groenefeld
foreva lindsay is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
RayRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelions
Rachel, you are well and truly sad.


Well, yes, you could say that......but I actually didn't search the olympic guide specifically to see if he was mentioned - I just happened to be looking at previous results for the different events and spotted that. It would be said, if I intentionally spent hours finding out information along those lines, but it took possibly a mere 30 seconds - if that!

-Rache
RayRob is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 68
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRob


Well, yes, you could say that......but I actually didn't search the olympic guide specifically to see if he was mentioned - I just happened to be looking at previous results for the different events and spotted that. It would be said, if I intentionally spent hours finding out information along those lines, but it took possibly a mere 30 seconds - if that!

-Rache
Rachel, I was only teasing. What I really meant was "You are very enthusiastic" and that's a very positive quality to possess. Keep sharing it! On the Olympics themselves, I used to love them but with all the drug taking stories my enthusiasm ( there's that word again ) has waned. The highlight for us , the British, should be watching Paula Radcliffe run in the marathon. Incidentally, in Manchester in 2002 we held the Commonwalth Games and it was a total success and brought the whole community together in a way no one believed possible. We were all very proud. Hopefully London can be successful in their 2012 bid. It would allow us the chance to build top class sporting venues and facilities and I am sure bring the whole country together.
threelions is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
country flag Jan
Senior Member
 
Jan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: East Anglia, UK
Posts: 2,909
                     
I still think "Winthrop" is kinda dinstinguished. I imagine this tall guy telling Lindsaay off severely when she was small for some wrong doing or other. I know, I am sad too.......

Still My Girl (As Always) in 2015 - JJ - JELENA JANKOVIC
STEFFI - A LEGEND IN HER OWN TIME
ALWAYS, ALWAYS LINDSAY
Good Luck to Heather Watson, Laura Robson, Kaia Kanepi
Jan is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
RayRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by threelions
Rachel, I was only teasing. What I really meant was "You are very enthusiastic" and that's a very positive quality to possess. Keep sharing it! On the Olympics themselves, I used to love them but with all the drug taking stories my enthusiasm ( there's that word again ) has waned. The highlight for us , the British, should be watching Paula Radcliffe run in the marathon. Incidentally, in Manchester in 2002 we held the Commonwalth Games and it was a total success and brought the whole community together in a way no one believed possible. We were all very proud. Hopefully London can be successful in their 2012 bid. It would allow us the chance to build top class sporting venues and facilities and I am sure bring the whole country together.
lol you don't have to explain - I knew you were teasing! I have thick skin - I can take it

I agree with you about the Olympics though. It was always the sport event growing up (as well as Wimbledon) that I always greatly looked forward to. Sydney was a great olympics and I really don't think that Greece can better it - it would be a nice suprise if they do, but I am doubting it. That as well as all the questions over drug related issues, I just hope a damper isn't but on the event!

I am behind the London bid 100%, if Greece and Bejing (?spelling?) can win a bid, then surely London has a high chance! We proved ourselves with the Commonwealth games that we can handle an international event - it's time the Olympics came back to London!
RayRob is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 68
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I still think "Winthrop" is kinda dinstinguished. I imagine this tall guy telling Lindsaay off severely when she was small for some wrong doing or other. I know, I am sad too.......
Jan, I imagine Winthrop as Homer's brother in the Simpsons and that would account for the way Lindsay sometimes plays!

Rachel, tell me Lindsay's mum isn't called Marge.
threelions is offline  
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM
country flag nlm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: sydney australia
Posts: 2,449
                     
In Sydney they made note of this - actually both Lindsay and Andre Agassi had a parent who represented their country at the Olympics. Andre's father represented Iran (but for the life of me I can't remember which sport - might have been athletics) and that was another reason why the Olympics Gold meant so much to Lindsay not only was it in her home country but also being the daughter of someone who represented their country at the Olympics she had a reputation to keep up with

"It's better to over analyse than not analyse at all" NM. 2000
nlm is offline  
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 01:48 PM
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Andre's father was a boxer.
Andrew. is offline  
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,741
                     
im glad im not the only one who finds his name funny...lol...

the manchester games was great...and its great to see the stadium being put to good use buy myself and fellow man city fans...a great stadium!

LINDSAY DAVENPORT


TOWER OF POWER 2006

Kelly is offline  
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
RayRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
im glad im not the only one who finds his name funny...lol...

the manchester games was great...and its great to see the stadium being put to good use buy myself and fellow man city fans...a great stadium!
LOL, I never got to go. I applied for tickets to see the Womens Gymnastics event but never got tickets!

I always wondered why Tennis was missing in the Commonwealths too. I know that it is only a resent addision to the Olympics, but wouldn't it be a great opportunity for lesser ranked players to play. For example, GB, NZ and Australia are all in the Commonwealth and there are lower ranked players who would benifit playing against one another on a big "stage" - would be good for some experience maybe?

Also, South Africa are a commonwealth country - just think how many Gold medals Amanda Coetzer could have won in her time Also, up until 2002 Zimbabwe was a Commonwealth coutry, so Cara Black and her brothers could have had a few golds between them.......

I guess I've gone a bit ......sorry....

-Rache
RayRob is offline  
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Manchester
Posts: 68
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
im glad im not the only one who finds his name funny...lol...

the manchester games was great...and its great to see the stadium being put to good use buy myself and fellow man city fans...a great stadium!
It's a small world, Kelly, I'm a City season ticket holder too! Maybe we get drawn to lost causes, City and Lindsay have a lot to answer for.
threelions is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome