I know its early to be talking about Wimbledon wildcards, but i'm bored
Having seen most of the girls in action for a month or so, who do people think will be in a position to get a wildcard for Wimbledon this year, barring injury? Jane and Anne should in theory have to pre-qualify because they have received three already (under the new rules they shouldn't receive another automatic) but Anne has been injured for ages so should get another one.
With so few points to defend, barring a huge mental collapse and slump, Elena should be able to qualify for the maindraw automatically (
1. Anne Keothavong
- Although she has had her three wildcards, a huge injury has sidelined her for the last 6 months, so its only fair she gets another one, and gets one under the new rules. Hopefully she will be back and up to speed by then.
2. Amanda Janes
- She and Elena have by far the best game for grass, and last year was her first Wimbledon ever. Although she hasn't shown her best form so far this year, her grass form is always good. A shoe-in for a second chance in the maindraw.
3. Katie O'Brien
- Katie is currently the best performing and consistent rankings-climber, especially from the new batch of former juniors, so if she carries on like she has, its only right and proper that she gets another wildcard. She reached the final of the pre-qualies last year so pretty much earned it the hard way last year.
4. Sarah Borwell
- I'm pretty sure that Sarah will get one automatically this year, she certainly deserves to. Her early season form has been very good indeed, and providing she keeps to that level, it would be an exceptionally poor decision not to reward that.
5. Emily Webley-Smith
- Although Emily's form has been woeful for ages, i reckon she will still sneak a wildcard, if only out of sympathy (she needs help to defend all those points
6. Karen Paterson
- Another recipient for a wildcard providing she keeps her level up. A very decent start to the season so far for Karen, beating players ranked well above her. If all is right with the world should
7. Hannah Collin
- This is just a feeling i have in my waters that Hannah will come through the pre-qualies
- The obligatory foreigner
Perhaps a returning Monica Seles, a shock return from Martina Hingis or yet another comeback from Martina Navratilova? Perhaps even a compassionate wildcard for grass courters Els Callens or Barbara Schwartz?
Therefore Qualies should look like this:
1. Jane O'Donoghue (may struggle in the wildcard draw IMO)
2. Melanie South (same as Jane)
3. Claire Peterzan (rising and deserving junior)
4. Hannah Grady (same as Claire)
5. Rebecca Llewellyn (decent form recently from Becky, but another who may struggle against fellow Brits)
6. Samantha Murray (I just like her
and reckon she'll be in a position to win far enough in the wildcard draw)
7. Foreigner/Lara Fakhoury/Chantal Coombs - probably a returning foreigner (Dragomir-Ilie, Testud, Schwartz or Callens [who is retiring]) but if not Fakhoury as top junior or a returning Chantal should receive one.
8. Katerina Bondarenko (winner of last year's Junior Wimbledon if she's still ranked outside)
There you go