Tennis Forum banner

Fashion icon or Fashion flop?

The Williams Sisters: Fashion icons or Fashion flops?

22K views 136 replies 76 participants last post by  dynamoRockstarr 
#1 · (Edited)
This week at Roland Garros I have noticed much discussion about fashion, maybe it's a French thing, but undoubtedly fashion has always been a hot topic in tennis. It got me thinking about the most iconic outfits on the WTA and much of those were worn by Venus and Serena. Their status as sporting icons is undoubted; but how about their status as fashion icons? Both are intuitive and incredibly creative when it comes to their on court apparel, with many successes as well as many fashion faux-pas. So what's the general train of thought on this topic? Other players who you may consider to be fashion icons are welcomed here too.

#4 ·
Re: The William Sisters: Fashion icons or Fashion flops?

ReeRee - Fashion icon
VeeVee - Fashion flop

VeeVee's only good dress was in 2008, that goddess dress, the rest were pretty crap, whereas ReeRee's outfit in 2004 has to rank up there as one of the best oncourt outfits of all time

#7 ·

ReeRee - Fashion icon
VeeVee - Fashion flop

VeeVee's only good dress was in 2008, that goddess dress, the rest were pretty crap, whereas ReeRee's outfit in 2004 has to rank up there as one of the best oncourt outfits of all time
How long have you been a tennis fan?

Venus has worn quite a few notable outfits. With that said, I first remember Mary Pierce wearing some interesting outfits. Venus was the first that did a lot cut out, halter neck outfits. My favourite outfits were her 2003 DV Wimbledon, 2002 Ausopen, 2001 US Open halterneck dress, 2001 Pilot pen outfit,Wimbly 2008 and her Eleven 2007 black US Open outfit.

I loved Serena's puma outfits. Catsuit, RG 2002, her yellow 2001 US Open dres and Wimbly 2000.

Anna K also had some really nice outfits. Probably from 1999 to 2002 we had a lot different interesting outfits from a few interesting players. Where as now, nike and adidas has a lot of clone outfits, practical and comfy, but nothing different or controversial.

Anyway this thread, is useless without pics, and i'm too lazy to find any...

#12 ·
#40 ·
I would call both Icons but Sarin ruined her legacy with..

this :bigcry:

Serena really did the most with this :haha: :sobbing: I'm CTFU at the old frontpage

Glad you edited that reply:lol:

totally classy
Much of the EleVen's line has been a flop although there's been some progress this year.
That crap Vinas has been wearing for the past years is horrible. She's truly a bad designer and have no idea what she was thinking when she designed that shit.
:spit: Y'all clowing Vinas, love it :rolls:

Serena's outfits have been legendary since she signed up wit Nike between 04 and 05. It was short but the impact is undeniable.

Venus is tripping with her tacky fashion. The worst was prolly that Alice in Wonderland monstruosity she wore at the AO last year. I felt personaly offended.

#10 ·

#11 ·

They'll go down as fashion icons but I cant stand the dresses that Venus has been wearing!! They look cheap and are ugly as hell!!!! Eleven is a line of clothing that are for the middle class and the common peasant. Theyre not fit for a Queen. Venus has money..and should dress like money!!

#18 ·
definitely the fashion icon.

both of them have a great taste of style. love serena and venus :)

#27 · (Edited)
I'd say Serena is middle of the road because since she signed with Nike its all been cookie cutter, but nice none the less. Most people get excited about her looks mainly cause shes got curves. Her "nice" dressed these days have more to do with how her curves fill out these plain jane dresses than anything else. When she was with Puma the only questionable thing she wore was that cat suit.

Venus has had some questionable looks with Eleven, and that AO 2002 (was it 2002?) where her boobs where flying out. but shes also had some killer looks with it. Her dress at the french was simple but nice.

Also, off the court they usually look stunning as well. Of the girls on tour, Serena/ Venus/ Sharapova/ Hingis/ Seles always have their stuff together off the court, but that might also have to do with the fact that they have the most money....

Sure sometimes they take risk that are flops, but if you're boring (Like Serena has been since she signed with Nike) you're just middle of the road.

#28 ·
I always got a "kick" out of both their outfits:bounce: they were always creative and innovative,:cool: Serena was very "brave" to wear some of hers:eek: but nevertheless she wanted to make a statement and it usually was the talk of the tournament.:hearts: Venus wore some earlier outfits that I liked but lately they are questionable:confused:, different patches on her outfits and some were fugly.:help:.but I applaud them for their efforts:clap2:..they wanted to be different and to standout from the others with some flair and style :hearts:so that in itself is an accomplishment!:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

#30 ·
Venus actually used to be one of the consistently best-dressed players on tour in the early 2000s. Recent years though :help: Loved those short little dresses with the cut out backs, etc. Then she went a little "meh" and circa 2009 became a bit of a disaster, with the OCCASIONAL good look(the tina turner Wimb 2010, the short black leather USO 2010 dresses :drool:)

As for The Queen?

Your fave could never.

#32 ·
I'm sorry but everyone here is assuming their fashions being iconic means they have to like every outfit they ever wore.

When deciding whether Venus and Serena are fashion icons or not I would look at the following:

Their impact on pop culture (undeniable)
The influence (undeniable)
The notoriety/fame of their their fashion (undeniable)

And not whether I personally like what they wear.

P.s. eing a fashion icon doesn't mean everything will be a hit

#41 ·
It's hard to say. Most of the time they look like a bag of hammers :unsure:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.