Tennis Forum banner

Zvonareva Olympic hopes in danger?

4K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  tenn_ace 
#1 ·
#3 ·
She does not show results at all this season. Moreover once again injured and missing FedCup. I do not think that it will be fair to go as a tourist on Olympics and not sure that Russian fans will admire it

Anyway she has enough time to return back and all is in her hands and racquet

#4 ·
Like I have been saying Zvonareva has some sort of injury that doesn´t allow her to put any weight onto her shots, whether it´s shoulder or hip. It has been pretty obvious for a while and she is just trying to get through to the Olympics (most likely for Doubles at this point). But she cannot even compete on clay, when she is healthy. I don´t like her chances, when it comes down to Top 10 or she is out. It´s probably going to be Sharapova, Kirilenko, Petrova and Kuznetsova, mainly for the Doubles and Mixed competitions.

#10 ·
It's her shoulder, she's had it for a while now (after USO last season) and even considered surgery at some point - I guess she decided it wasn't worth it at this point in her career. I too think she's just trying to get through to the Olympics, and can see her retiring this year. Her body's starting to fail her & she's got things she wants to do after tennis (she graduated not long ago & has a career line up at the UN). :sad:

Surely as the only player on tour defending a medal, and a doubles slam champion, she would get a place? Sveta & Pavs are in awful form at the moment, and there is a big gap between Vera & Nadia in the rankings!

#5 ·
I think with Vera Zvonareva and Svetlana Kuznetsova winning doubles in Melbourne she's locked up a spot on the Olympic team. The way the team works 4 singles players plus two additional doubles players to make a team of 6. I think it's clear Vera, Sveta, along with Kirilenko and Petrova are the most successful doubles teams from now for Russia.

Amongst those 4 , they will be on the team. Whether or not she plays singles as well is another question, but even if she's maybe 5th in singles behind Pavs or something, I still think she'd get the nod because she has a great shot for a doubles with Sveta.

If you had Pavs as your 4th singles, it would break up one of their doubles pairings..

#8 ·
I think it's clear Vera, Sveta, along with Kirilenko and Petrova are the most successful doubles teams from now for Russia.
Vesnina?

She was top 10 doubles until last week. Although she plays with Mirza normally, she could have a guaranteed spot if she's top 10 and partner Kirilenko.
Making the team
Sharapova
Zvonareva + Kuznetsova
Kirilenko + Vesnina
and take Pavs/Petrova if it's decided that Zvonareva or Sveta should only play doubles,

#7 ·
i guess it can work only if Lena returns\

Just clarified it : No, for Olympics it is not workable, only for World Championships

#14 ·
The bigger question for me is if Sveta is willing to pair up with Vera. Their road to the AO doubles title had some tension as Sveta was doing a lot of the work, and IIRC, Sveta wasn't too happy with Vera's play during those two weeks. :lol:

#16 ·
She withdrew from the semifinals of the Fed Cup because of injury to the shoulder. Looks like she asked to Tarpishev, to do this. And already said will do the same for the Olympics, if she's not feeling 100%.

Independent of this, what a "nice work" Tarpishev is doing right now, putting this kind of pressure over her :facepalm:

#18 ·
She can't go in London as a tourist. If she is not ready,she should leave the place for another girl. It's Olympics and russian fans will not justify her withdrawal in first round. All her matches i saw this year were pathetic without any sign of improvement Tarpishev is responsible for the result in London and he can not afford sending not ready player

#24 ·
She deserves to go, already has a bronze and reached Wimbledon F. Would be stupid to send someone else. Sharapova, Kirilenko and Zvonareva are locks IMO.

#26 ·
Anyway, what has Pavlyuchenkova done that Zvonareva hasn't? She made the USO QF as well, and at least won some matches recently (and even made the YEC SF) unlike Pavlyuchenkova.

#28 ·
She deserves to go, already has a bronze and reached Wimbledon F. Would be stupid to send someone else. Sharapova, Kirilenko and Zvonareva are locks IMO.
she will deserve only if she reaches QF of any Rome/Madrid/RG , otherwise she will go to London to make photos of Big Ben and St Paul's Cathedral

Isnt each country allowed 2 doubles team. She would make it for doubles even if she doesnt for singles.
i guess so either

#29 ·
Sharapova and Kirilenko are the only locks, along with Petrova for the doubles. Makarova could prove a wise choice on the big OG stage. However, singles wise the remaining two spots will be filled by a risk regardless. Its not like any of the others have even hinted at doing well.

Masha - Singles
Kiri - Singles & Doubles
Makarova - Singles
Petrova - Doubles
Sveta - Doubles
Zvonareva - Doubles

Additional Singles would be between Sveta & Vera.

#31 ·
Seeing that this is the last time playing the Olympics for Petrova-Kuznetsova-Zvonareva-Vesnina? AND Sharapova (she has said she won't be playing into her late 20s), Russia might just let the old ladies play. Which might be at Makarova's expense.

#35 ·
They should definitely consider Makarova who is an excellent big macth player and llikes playing on grass.

Normally I would go for the selection based on ranking, but Pavlyuchenkova has been in such crap form and Sveta with Vera not much better that nobody should question if Makarova is at least considered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.