Tennis Forum banner

Romania to finally host a WTA event in 2014?

7K views 56 replies 14 participants last post by  Belle de Jour 
#1 · (Edited)
#33 ·
Re: WTA event in Romania??

I think these are good WC choices since a lot of the younger girls are playing the European Championships :shrug:

#35 ·

^U18 too :p

#36 ·

OK, some changes in the entry list because of late withdrawals and this is qualifying draw:

(1)Estrella Cabeza-Candela (ESP) v Lyudmyla Kichenok (UKR)
Matilda Hamlin (SWE) v (wc)Georgiana Patrasc (ROU)

Larisa Sporea (ROU) v Zuzana Luknarova (SVK)
(7)Andreja Klepac (SLO) v Ionela-Andreea Iova (ROU)

(2)Kristyna Pliskova (CZE) v (wc)Gabriela Talaba (ROU)
Bianca Hincu (ROU) v Sabina Lupu (ROU)

Ingrid-Alexandra Radu (ROU) v (wc)Carla Georgescu (AUS)
(6)Eva Fernandez-Brugues (ESP) v Claudia Antonia Enache (ROU)

(3)Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) v Laura-Ioana Andrei (ROU)
Gabriela Duca (ROU) v (wc)Alexandra Damaschin (ROU)

Dalia Zafirova (BUL) v Agnes Szatmari (ROU)
(8)Annalisa Bona (ITA) v Darija Jurak (CRO)

(4)Natalie Piquion (FRA) v Elizaveta Ianchuk (UKR)
Nadiya Kichenok (UKR) v (wc)Lorena Gheorghe (ROU)

Raluca Elena Platon (ROU) v (wc)Simona Ionescu (ROU)
(5)Lenka Jurikova (SVK) v Alexandra Ion (ROU)

So the wildcards were awarded to Georgescu, Gheorghe, Talaba, Patrasc and at least the Romanian sportpress had 2 right with Damaschin and Ionescu (Iova, Platon and Sporea with direct entry)! :worship:

#37 ·

QR1

(1)Estrella Cabeza-Candela (ESP) d. Lyudmyla Kichenok (UKR) 61 62
Matilda Hamlin (SWE) d. (wc)Georgiana Patrasc (ROU) 62 76(2)

Zuzana Luknarova (SVK) d. Larisa Sporea (ROU) 61 61
(7)Andreja Klepac (SLO) d. Ionela-Andreea Iova (ROU) 60 60

(2)Kristyna Pliskova (CZE) d. (wc)Gabriela Talaba (ROU) 62 26 62 :lol:
Sabina Lupu (ROU) d. Bianca Hincu (ROU) 62 62

Ingrid-Alexandra Radu (ROU) d. (wc)Carla Georgescu (AUS) 61 61
(6)Eva Fernandez-Brugues (ESP) d. Claudia Antonia Enache (ROU) 60 61

Laura-Ioana Andrei (ROU) d. (3)Kristina Mladenovic (FRA) 64 75 :banana: :banana:
(wc)Alexandra Damaschin (ROU) d. Gabriela Duca (ROU) 61 64

Agnes Szatmari (ROU) d. Dalia Zafirova (BUL) 63 62
(8)Annalisa Bona (ITA) d. Darija Jurak (CRO) 60 61

(4)Natalie Piquion (FRA) d. Elizaveta Ianchuk (UKR) 64 46 23 Ret.
Nadiya Kichenok (UKR) d. (wc)Lorena Gheorghe (ROU) 62 64

(wc)Simona Ionescu (ROU) d. Raluca Elena Platon (ROU) 57 64 76(3)
(5)Lenka Jurikova (SVK) d. Alexandra Ion (ROU) 61 60
Laura-Ioana is the first one making use of the home crowd and courts! :D

#39 ·

Any news on the WTA event? :unsure:

#43 ·
Unfortunately i don't think it is true (yet). Today the WTA announced a whole load of changes to the calendar for 2014 and 2015 and there was no mention of Bucharest. Unless it's going to be announced separately in the next few days? Fingers crossed!

#44 ·
My guess is that Romanian newspapers are bluffing.
A wish is one thing but to materialize is another. WTA won't move anything before they know they got a better deal.
Who are the sponsors? This media speculation reminds me of daily pompous titles about imaginary soccer transactions that made me stop paying any attention years ago.

#45 ·
It says that BCR (part of the ERSTE Group for foreigners) would be the sponsor (the one who hosted the biggest ITF in Bucharest till last year)

Anyway, I didn't find anywhere else that Budapest would be canceled. + the tourney is shown also in the provisionally 2015 Calendar :( .

It would be very nice but it doesn't look very credible at the moment . Last year, the Calendar was last edited on the 15th of December.

#49 ·
It would be very nice but it doesn't look very credible at the moment . Last year, the Calendar was last edited on the 15th of December.
This might be the case but remember that at this time last year the tournament in Barcelona was also still standing on this provisional calendar and 2 months before it should have held the organizers were withdrawing from the WTA tour which led to the event having been held in Nuremberg instead.

I want to defend the Romanian sports media at this point by saying that I don't think these rumours are completely out of the blue. The event in Budapest is close to being shut down since Szavay has lost a top ranking spot. To be more precise, it's only a matter of time until this event will disappear from the calendar. In this case I can imagine a possible event in Bucharest already being planned as immediate back-up should Budapest already pull out in the course of the next months.

It would certainly be the perfect replacement thinking in geographic terms and the number of visitors would surmount the one in Budapest easily.

E perfect pe subiect video-ul urmator :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubuc-By8hmQ&t=0m56s - - De la 0:56 pana la 1:30

:lol::spit:

:worship:

#51 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.