The 10 Best Wins of 2006
10. Miami R32 (#8) Dementieva def. (#56) Krajicek 6-0 6-1
Krajicek's serve had many of us Elena fans concerned, but this Dutch was no match for a red hot Elena. This match was pushed to a very late time on an outer court, but Elena handled it well and was very close to double bageling a solid opponent.
9. Wimbledon R64 (#8) Dementieva def. (#73) Shaughnessy 5-7 6-3 7-5
Elena took some criticism for an injury timeout at 5-7 0-2, but it was an incredible fight, and no one can deny that. Elena looked wobbly on grass, but cruised to her first Wimbledon quarter after this three hour epic.
8. Tokyo SF (#9) Dementieva def. (#13) Myskina 6-4 3-6 6-4
Myskina was actually in pretty good form at this event, and with Elena's history against Anastasia, the outcome was questionable. However, she toughed it out in a long three set match to reach her first final of the season.
7. Moscow QF (#7) Dementieva def. (#9) Schnyder 7-6 (6) 7-6 (1)
Elena had been injured but fought hard and played some great tennis at her home tournament, taking out a determined top tenner in two close sets.
6. Stuttgart R16 (#6) Dementieva def. (#26) Srebotnik 4-6 7-5 7-5
Elena was playing badly at this time, and was even down 3-5 in the second, but after clawing back to create a tense third set, Elena would fall victim to cramps on her first attempt to serve it out. But being a battler, she kept on trucking and scored a much needed win.
5. Fed Cup QF (#9) Dementieva def. (#2) Clijsters 6-4 6-3
Kim might not believe in her own clay court abilities, but she doesn't have anyone else fooled. This was a great win for Elena in an important event to her.
4. Los Angeles SF (#6) Dementieva def. (#4) Sharapova 7-5 6-2
Elena's nerves were apparent early on as she let a large lead slip in the first set against Maria, who was riding an 8 match winning streak, but she managed to play solid tennis to take out Maria, who littered the court with errors.
3. Los Angeles F (#6) Dementieva def. (#28) Jankovic 6-3 4-6 6-4
A huge win for Elena in a final. Could have won in two. Could have bageled in the third. But Elena had to make this match into one of her many classics and struggle to escape. High quality rallies throughout as Elena fought to her second title of the season, and set herself up as a serious US Open contender.
2. Tokyo F (#9) Dementieva def. (#117) Hingis 6-2 6-0
After squashing Maria by a similar scoreline the day before, Hingis would be a tough nut to crack. But Elena had her one good day of the week and got her first straight set win of 2006 in dominating style over a worthy opponent. Elena's first Tier 1 victory.
1. Indian Wells SF (#8) Dementieva def. (#3) Henin-Hardenne 2-6 7-5 7-5
Elena fought harder than ever, down 2-5 in the second to a top three player who she has always had trouble against. Very difficult playing conditions but Elena reached her second straight Tier 1 final after a marathon match.
dementieva + sharapova + bartoli + chakvetadze