Worshipping the bangs
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Larsson's Player Forum
Match Point: Woody's Secret Love Letter to Lena
Just saw match point, and it's clear that Woody Allen is as obbsessed with Lena D as we are.
The film contains many subtle homages to the Golden Goddess (I must be over that Rnd 1 loss, mustn't I) among them:
1. Opening sequence: the slow moving tennis ball is clearly a tongue-in-cheek reference to Elena's only imperfection, her serve.
2. The film contains not one, but two references to the works of Dostoevsky--one of Lena's favorite writers!
3. One of the characters is an overbearing mother
4. On the movie posters, Scarlett Johanssen bears a strong resemblence to Anna K. Lena D. is also often compared to Anna K. (As in "Anna K. is soo beautiful, why, she's nearly as lovely as Lena D.")
5. One of the characters, Chloe, has a name from Greek mythology, as does Elena
6. The actress who plays Chloe played a character named "Helena" in "The Ghost and the Darkness." Helena, is, of course, a variation on Helen, as is Elena
7. Another character in the movie is named Eleanor, which is also a variation on Helen.
I'm sure that other ED fans will see more evidence when the watch the movie. But it is proof that one cannot think of tennis even in the most tangental way without invoking thoughts of the Golden Goddess, the embodiment of tennis perfection.
Pass the duct tape and super glue. Lena's done broke my heart one last time.
Onward my LOB! Lena (ret.) Vika Vee TOB Caro Alexa Sabs Wicky Lesia Vania BMS Ekat Andi H. Jo-La Lena V KP2 Lil Bit Kiki Mini Mak Baby Veronika
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.[/SIZE]
Jo-La Queen of Norrland and Bastad
Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs