CONTINUING A RANT ABOUT POLITICS, RANKINGS AND SEEDINGS FROM ALL AMERICAN
Kristina Smith, UCI beats # 6 seed Carling Seguso, UCLA 6-3, 6-2
Let me start: Kristina Smith is a very good little player who will be top 2 for UCI....
But let's review:
- Seguso was UCLA's # 8 last year
- Seguso did not have a national or even a regional ranking last year
Yet the ITA Committee of Coaches
- Ranked her in the 70's ahead of a lot of worthy other players
- She was thus seeded at All American PQ and lost first round badly
- She was thus seeded at SW Regionals and lost first round convincingly
- Seguso is now winless in the fall
1) Why doesn't the ITA just continue the computer rankings perpetually, taking graduated players out but leaving their results, and elminate is politically stupid coaches popularity ranking?
2) Why does the UCLA # 8 get ranked UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE?
I thought Car was #7 last year
Perplexing, she was pretty good last year..especially at Desert Duel (Nov)..consecutive Ojai invite finalist..do hope she can regain her form