PERTH, Dec 9 AAP - The internationally-renowned Hopman Cup tennis tournament will be staged in Perth until 2007, Western Australia's sports minister Bob Kucera announced today.
Mr Kucera said agreement had been reached between the WA Tourism Commission and Hopman Cup Pty Ltd for the mixed teams tournament to stay at the Burswood Resort for next three years.
A further two-year extension was possible, if a suitable venue could be found.
"The existing contract was due to expire at the end of the 2004 tournament season. I'm pleased to report that negotiations have resulted in the new agreement," Mr Kucera said.
"Hosting the event in 2008 and 2009 will depend on our being able to confirm a venue for the tournament."
It was also confirmed the ABC had signed a five-year deal to continue as host broadcaster, telecasting the tournament live on national free-to-air television.
Fox Sports signed on as the Pay-TV broadcaster, providing 60 hours of live coverage.
Francesco Ricci Bitti, President of the International Tennis Federation and chairman of the Hopman Cup, said he was delighted the immediate future for the tournament was now confirmed.
"We have always maintained that Burswood in Perth is the right home for the Hyundai Hopman Cup," he said.
"It is also imperative that we acknowledge and thank our host broadcaster the ABC and Fox Sports for renewing their broadcasting arrangements for another five years."
This year's tournament begins on January 3, with Australia being represented by Lleyton Hewitt and Alicia Molik.