Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
This year there were only 5 Aussie maindraw wildcards because of the wildcards given to Morigami, Baltacha, and Pin, so I will say 5 who I think should (or would) get them as of now anyway.
1. Samantha Stosur - She's a young hopeful, been having a bit of a rough time with results lately but she is still one of the best Aussies regardless, and she had a great run beating Martinez and Webb so I can't see them not giving her the chance to defend those.
2. Evie Dominikovic - Really not deserving right now, she's in rotten form and has been for a while, but again, has lots of points to defend and should be given the chance to try and salvage some of them. She is capable of finding form at any given time so you can't count her out.
3. Casey Dellacqua - Just picked up a 25k title, which is a great effort from her. She got in with a wildcard last year, certainly that win should ensure her a place there again.
4. Christina Wheeler - Never seem to know what's up with her, another unpredictable player but her ranking is well above most of the others, she has won a round in a slam before, and she did reach 2 25k finals overseas this year which is plenty more than the other girls achieved.
5. This one is sort of a toss-up, I would love to see Trudi Musgrave get in as she has been having a great run through the Aussie challenger circuit, but unless she wins the wildcard through earning the points I am not sure they will pick her because the Aussie Federation really seems to be pushing for the younger players to gain experience right now. If they go with a younger player I'd like to see them pick Monique Adamczak.
Qualifying wildcards should then go to Stewart, Kriz, Hewitt, Breadmore, Musgrave/Adamczak, and two young players (Cupac, Ferguson, Cheung, Szili etc.)
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But he loves you."