Fed Cup 2013 - Page 23 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 352 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,513
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by guichard View Post
Barty said she knew 2 hours before the match that she was going to play...Of course Molik could have changed her mind again but it doesn't sound good about Jarka's performance
Yes it may have been pre-planned judging by Alicia's interview. She did mention that Jarka may not have been match fit enough to play two matches in a day, but she also took into account that she may have been 'down' from the loss and that she took that ito account as well.

Either way, good use of the substitute by Alicia. A few years ago before that tule was brought in, Jarka would've had to fake an injury

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #332 of 352 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,091
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Well one swallow doesn't a summer make and all that, so we'll have to wait and see how Ash develops I guess. I expect her to continue to improve, but there's no way of saying how long it's going to take before she starts to produce her best tennis on a consistent basis, or how good her best tennis is going to be.

I also wouldn't write Jarka off just yet. More than anything I think she needs to find her own Dave Taylor. Maybe she never will, and even if she did I don't see her ever being as good as Sam, but if she can find a coach who can help her focus she surely has a good enough game to get back to the top 30 again.

That said, the idea of a Sam-Ash dream team is enticing I must admit. If Ash can continue to improve quickly, next year might provide a unique window of opportunity, where the best Aussie players of their respective generations are both in good form at the same time. Throw in a decent draw and they could go far I think.
stromatolite is offline  
post #333 of 352 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,232
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Well one swallow doesn't a summer make and all that, so we'll have to wait and see how Ash develops I guess. I expect her to continue to improve, but there's no way of saying how long it's going to take before she starts to produce her best tennis on a consistent basis, or how good her best tennis is going to be.

I also wouldn't write Jarka off just yet. More than anything I think she needs to find her own Dave Taylor. Maybe she never will, and even if she did I don't see her ever being as good as Sam, but if she can find a coach who can help her focus she surely has a good enough game to get back to the top 30 again.

That said, the idea of a Sam-Ash dream team is enticing I must admit. If Ash can continue to improve quickly, next year might provide a unique window of opportunity, where the best Aussie players of their respective generations are both in good form at the same time. Throw in a decent draw and they could go far I think.
Yes, 9 months is a very long timeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. You don't want to make too much of one good tie. I wouldn't write anyone off yet , we will see how they perform this year.
guichard is offline  
post #334 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,091
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Our girls have drawn the Russian in February, in Australia. Tough draw, but based on team rankings the alternatives were Serbia, Italy and the Czech Republic, none of which would be much better, if at all.

You'd have to give Ash and Casey a good shot at winning the doubles if necessary (although the Russians are no slouches in doubles either, so they're not a shoe-in by any means). But even if they do, two singles points could be hard to come by, especially given Sam's poor record playing at home.

We really need a second singles player who can deliver a win as well, to take some of the pressure off Sam, but tbh I can't see any of them having a hope in hell of doing so, even if Sharapova doesn't play (I reckon she probably won't).
stromatolite is offline  
post #335 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Huntress55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 10,109
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Although its hard to see Maria playing, given that its in Australia just after AO she could consider it.

Its tough but like you say its not like the other teams would be much easier.

sam stosur. maria sharapova. jarmila gajdosova
dellacqua.kvitova.tomljanovic.safarova.
Huntress55 is offline  
post #336 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Lord Of The Persians
 
SilverPersian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 21,765
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Our best bet might be a fast-improviing Ash/rejuventated Jarka to pull off a surprise win, hope that Sammy can snatch one as well, and then take out the doubles. But Vesnina/Ekat/Petrova/Kirilenko are all great doubles players, so that will be very tough.

@Huntress: Your avatar looks all wrong

Samantha Stosur

Jarmila Wolfe|Svetlana Kuznetsova|Francesca Schiavone|Zhang Shuai|Sloane Stephens|Ashleigh Barty
Andy Murray|Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Juan Martin Del Potro|Jack Sock
SilverPersian is offline  
post #337 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Huntress55's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 10,109
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
Our best bet might be a fast-improviing Ash/rejuventated Jarka to pull off a surprise win, hope that Sammy can snatch one as well, and then take out the doubles. But Vesnina/Ekat/Petrova/Kirilenko are all great doubles players, so that will be very tough.

@Huntress: Your avatar looks all wrong
Why?

Id love to see Jarka back but she would literally just be back, would putting her in a Fed Cup tie be wise? Although she tends to do okay in that environment. I know its in Australia but I dont think thats going to get to Sam as much as playing in the AO does since its a team environment. Or maybe Im being hopeful.

sam stosur. maria sharapova. jarmila gajdosova
dellacqua.kvitova.tomljanovic.safarova.
Huntress55 is offline  
post #338 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,513
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

^ Agree, unless something extraordinary happens between now and Feb, we are on the back foot with this one and I expect we'll be led with Sam and Ash not Jarka and Sam.

With Russia its hard to predict who will represent the team from tie to tie. They have an embarrassment of riches and ex-top 10 players like Petrova, Kuznetsova, Zvonareva (inj) could turn up in February and give us all sorts of trouble.

Anyone remember the last time we played Russia in Australia (Kings Park... I think??) That loss is emblazended on my memory for ever. McQuillan losing to a 16 y/o 400th ranked junior, 12-10 in the third. Kerry Anne Guse leading 3-0 in the final set of her singles and losing, and McQuillan backing up her 1st day loss, by leading 5-0 in the first set and losing in straight! I expect this tie won't be as dramatic as that one.

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
post #339 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,091
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

I think they need to think hard about the venue and surface for this one. I wouldn't necessarily go for clay (are there even any decent clay courts in Australia anyway?), but definitely something slowish and high-bouncing, to give Sam the best possible chance of winning her two matches.

If she can do that we might have a chance, but if not I think the chances are very slim indeed, unless Ash shows some remarkable improvement in singles over the next six months. No way can they expect Jarka to bounce back so soon after her illness and save their arses against opposition of this quality.
stromatolite is offline  
post #340 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,513
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think they need to think hard about the venue and surface for this one. I wouldn't necessarily go for clay (are there even any decent clay courts in Australia anyway?), but definitely something slowish and high-bouncing, to give Sam the best possible chance of winning her two matches.
Rebound ace! Start melting down those old car tyres again.

Agree they have to be strategic about the surface and venue. Somewhere hot as well, might assist with Sam and her supreme fitness. But nothing screams as obvious....

The 2nd singles player is a real problem and they may just look to the future by blooding Ash again.

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
post #341 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,091
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Rebound ace! Start melting down those old car tyres again.

Agree they have to be strategic about the surface and venue. Somewhere hot as well, might assist with Sam and her supreme fitness. But nothing screams as obvious....

The 2nd singles player is a real problem and they may just look to the future by blooding Ash again.
Love it!

Yeah, they have nothing to lose by giving Ash a shot at it, and no real alternative. She stuck with Kiri really well at the FO up till darkness intervened at 3-3, played some really beautiful tennis. The rest of the match the next day was shifted to a non-streamed court, which was probably just as well because she got her arse well and truly kicked.

But the point is, she showed she does have the game to trouble top players, she just has trouble maintaining a good level for a full match. The team environment and having Alicia and Nicole to pump her up and give her advice at the change of ends could help that.
stromatolite is offline  
post #342 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Territory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Northern Territory
Posts: 7,882
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Just put them on some antbed courts in Condobolin so we don't have to see them crash and burn.

I am not suited to Forum life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingching View Post
You are not suited to Forum life.
Territory is offline  
post #343 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Kəv.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 71,902
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Hopefully the tie is in Melbourne!

MANDY MINELLA. PRISCILLA HON

CASEY DELLACQUA. JARMILA WOLFE. SAMANTHA STOSUR
QIANG WANG. SHILIN XU. AYUMI MORITA. NAO HIBINO
LESIA TSURENKO. ALIZÉ LIM. NAOMI OSAKA. JULIA GÖRGES.
OLIVIA TJANDRAMULIA. NAIKTHA BAINS. KIMBERLY BIRRELL.
KAROLINA PLISKOVA. KIMIKO DATE-KRUMM. DESTANEE AIAVA
Kəv. is online now  
post #344 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Member
 
louloubelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,513
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Just put them on some antbed courts in Condobolin so we don't have to see them crash and burn.
Actually it might improve our chances. I can't imagine the two Masha's coping with antbed courts in some of the far-flung places we have the 25K's at. Imagine what the harsh wind would do to their hair. Petrova would go into melt down when she accidently swallows a fly. Kuzzy would probably tank anyway, considering her and Alicia are mates.

Along with the heat, bare courts, and a few crappy line calls thrown in.......we are in with a big chance... I'm gonna email Todd Woodbridge now!

There's more to life than just being happy.
louloubelle is offline  
post #345 of 352 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,091
                     
Re: Fed Cup 2013

^
stromatolite is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome