Looks to be a good list to me! If there's the interest then let's go for it!
My suggestion - How about a draw of 20... therefore the top 20 in the open era and automatic entry must be a top 20 ranking (or in O'Neils case a slam win
). It gives us 4 quallie matches to include those on the cusp like Provis, Minter etc....
Judy Dalton was one of those, like Turner that had a career that carried from amatuer to professional - but still had good results into the early 70's so she would be included. Karen Krantzcke was a good player in the 70's, top 10 in 1970. Unfoertunately her career was cut short by a heart attack when she was 31.
Liz Smylie, was top 20 in 1987 too so would get automatic entry.
If you were to seed or rank the gals... my list would look like:
1. Margaret Court
2. Evonne Goolagong-Cawley
3. Kerry Melville-Reid
4. Samantha Stosur
5. Wendy Turnbull
6. Dianne Fromholtz/Balestrat
After this top 6 the rankings are alot more difficult.
7. Judy Tegart-Dalton - probably played her best tennis in the amatuer era, however was a Wimbledon semi finalist at the age of 33 and played into her 40's.
8. Helen Gourlay/Cawley - took advantage of some weaker draws to get to her slam finals but didn't figure prominently in the slams with stronger competition.
9. Lesley Turner - her best was beyond her after amatuer tennis but was still reacbed a SF in France and a QF at Wimbledon.
10. Karen Krantzcke - top 10 in 1969/70, unfortunately diabetes curtailed her career for 18 months.
11. Lesley Hunt - was a consistent performer in the Slims tournaments, just never had a great slam performance outside of the Australian.
12. Alicia Molik - like Krantzcke, wouldve been ranked higher if she wasn't stopped by injury.
13. Christine O'Neil - never troubled any of the top players and never ranked in the top 20 but she won a slam!
14. Hana Mandlikova - became an Aussie in 1988 and played until 1990. She had one top 20 finish with a QF and a 4R at the Aussie Open & Wimbledon during that time.
15. Elizabeth Smylie - ranked 20 in 1987.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
*Dokic - highest ranked finish as an Aussie was 24. Was a slam semi finalist as an Aussie.
Rounds out the top 20.