Tennis Forum banner

Anna Kournikova is a former #1 player and 2-time grandslam champion

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  annak_maratsgirl 
#1 ·
I think some people need to be reminded of that. She has been NO.1 and she has held a grandslam title twice. Anna Kournikova is one of the all-time greats! :worship:

#2 ·
Yes Anna in doubles the 56th greatest ever :rolleyes:

In singles 587th greatest ever :p

#3 ·
I doubt that 56 players have held the #1 ranking in doubles and won 2 grandslams. Not even close.

In singles, she's a legend. She sells a tournament more then 10 top players combined. She's to a certain extent bigger then tennis. She definitely should rank somewhere in the top 10. My guess is:

1. Seles
2. Navratilova
3. Evert
4. Court
5. Helen Wills Moody
6. Maureen Connoly
7. Billie Jean King
8. Anna Kournikova
9. Steffi Graf
10. Martina Hingis

So in singles she's in the top 10, in doubles she's in the top 20, that makes her one of the all time greats! :worship:

#5 ·
virtu, you need to start facing reality. Anna is a legend in singles and she will be remembered in history more then Davenport, Kim, Novotna and Martinez combined. As for doubles, her records speak for themselves. Anna is overall one of the all-time greats.

#6 ·
selesrules said:
I doubt that 56 players have held the #1 ranking in doubles and won 2 grandslams. Not even close.

In singles, she's a legend. She sells a tournament more then 10 top players combined. She's to a certain extent bigger then tennis. She definitely should rank somewhere in the top 10. My guess is:

1. Seles
2. Navratilova
3. Evert
4. Court
5. Helen Wills Moody
6. Maureen Connoly
7. Billie Jean King
8. Anna Kournikova
9. Steffi Graf
10. Martina Hingis

So in singles she's in the top 10, in doubles she's in the top 20, that makes her one of the all time greats! :worship:
LOL you forget how many people Sabatini drew in on her events, not to mention endorsments.... Gaby not only was a better player, but also a class act in and off the court.

Not to mention you forget a couple of sisters too in that list, oh well its your list, i can´t make you change your WISHES LOL

#7 ·
As a note for you Selesrules, i was just watching a tape of Anna 1998 RG vs Jana Novotna, its so sad to how different she is playing now, from what she was at least in that match. She lost the match, but she showed consistency, fighting spirit and some variety too. I just don´t understand why changed her game to a HIT-FLAT all out NON-sense game.

#8 ·
Selesrules REALITY CHECK!! If Anna is a so called LEGEND in Singles WHERE ARE THE RESULTS TO PROVE IT??? No titles yet?? A big fat 0! So be realistic and get over the looks and start looking at the SKILL!.

Sure she has a good doubles record BUT she wouldnt b in the TOP 20 OF ALL TIME BASED ON RESULTS OKAy.

#10 ·
Yes Anna is one of the greatest doubles players ever!!!

#12 ·
selesrules said:

1. Seles
2. Navratilova
3. Evert
4. Court
5. Helen Wills Moody
6. Maureen Connoly
7. Billie Jean King
8. Anna Kournikova
9. Steffi Graf
10. Martina Hingis

The problem you're having is you're mixing off the court achievements with on the court achievements. Let's be real here. You're just making it easy to turn threads against anna.

#13 ·
OKay Anna is not one of the greatest singles players ever! I did not see that post.

#16 · (Edited)
IMO Anna meant an awful lot for Women's Tennis. In the era before Anna, attention was in a slump. The WTA needed a big star and anna handled that role well... She is one of the most important reasons why women's tennis gets more attention than men's tennis these days. That's quite an achievement
I love to watch Anna play, I hope she will soon be the shotmaker she ones was!

#17 ·
IMO, Kate Moss is the greatest ever, or Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford...I'm sure they've all held a tennis racket in their hands at some point in their lives. They will be remembered in history more than Davenport, Kim, Novotna and Martinez combined. Imagine if they played a tennis match, it'd be a sell-out faster than any other match in history! They belong in the top 10!

#18 ·
single, all time best 10 :eek: :eek: without winning a title :eek: :confused:

Reactions: CanIGetAWhat
#19 ·
OMG - this is a joke right! Kournikova as one of the all-time Top 10 greats! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Oh dear, tears are rolling down my face... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Give the girl her credit in doubles, yeah, but Hingis had a lot to do with that, and how can you put Anna K with her TWO slam doubles titles ahead of people like Lisa Raymond, Natasha Zvereva, Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, Paola Suarez... the list goes on.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha................

#22 ·
dava_russianrule said:
Yes Anna is one of the greatest doubles players ever!!!
So tell me why her only doubles slam are with Martina Hingis?

Hingis won slam in doubles with: Jana, Helena, Natasha, Anna, Lucic, someone else?
So who´s the great here?

Why she has not been able to do something great at slam events with another partner?

#25 ·
petosp said:
So tell me why her only doubles slam are with Martina Hingis?

Hingis won slam in doubles with: Jana, Helena, Natasha, Anna, Lucic, someone else?
So who´s the great here?

Why she has not been able to do something great at slam events with another partner?
Martina can be the great in all these doubles you told us, but a double match needs the both players, otherwise it would be a single match...so, Anna helped a lot to win these slams with Martina!! Dunno if you got my point of view...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.