TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Birmingham 2010: Andrew's eyewitness reports & photos (1r + 2r + 3r)
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
country flag andrewbroad
Team WTAworld

Andrew's third-round eyewitness report & photos

=============
AEGON CLASSIC (Edgbaston, Birmingham, England; grass; WTA International)
=============
Contents
--------

1. Photos
2. Third-round eyewitness report: Chakvetadze v Riske

---------
1. Photos (Thursday 10th June 2010)
---------

Permission to copy my Birmingham photos is granted provided that:
(a) no money is exchanged;
(b) they are labelled as "Copyright Andrew Broad 2010".
Please let me know if you do use them on another website.

Since I don't have time to upload hundreds of photos a day individually, I have uploaded each batch of photos as a large zip-file (approximately as many megabytes as photos).

Thursday's photos are in three volumes (Anna appears in Parts 1 and 3).

Thursday Part 1 (Photos 001 to 152)
---------------

Due to my DivShare account exceeding its download-limit, my photos will not be available to download until Thursday 24th June 2010 – although if you sign up for a (free) DivShare account, it should let you download them immediately.

http://www.divshare.com/download/11744423-bb2

Anna Chakvetadze (40 photos)
Laura Robson (56)
Yanina Wickmayer (49)
Sesil Karatantcheva (15)
Michelle Larcher de Brito (3)
Kaia Kanepi (3)
Sara Errani (1)
Jarmila Groth (1)
Angelique Kerber (1)
Heather Watson (1)

It seems that Anna is friends with Sesil Karatantcheva, for they went off to practise together – alone until Anna's father Djambuli arrived, and apart from me stalking them. I think Anna might have noticed me, judging by Photo 118. It makes me wonder whether she remembers me from one occasion to another (even though she has no idea who I am, because nobody knows what I look like).

Thursday Part 3 (Photos 264 to 431)
---------------

http://www.divshare.com/download/11745260-4d6

Anna Chakvetadze (21 photos)
Magdaléna Rybáriková (82)
Aravane Rezaď (30)
Sesil Karatantcheva (25)
Mirjana Lučić (13)
Maria Sharapova (8)
Alison Riske (6)
Michelle Larcher de Brito (3)
Angelique Kerber (2)
Li,Na (2)
Alla Kudryavtseva (2)
Yanina Wickmayer (1)
Tamarine Tanasugarn (1)

-----------------------------------------------------
2. Third-round eyewitness report: Chakvetadze v Riske (Thursday 10th June 2010)
-----------------------------------------------------

- Anna Chakvetadze [EF] lt. Alison Riske [Q], 6-4 5-7 1-6

This may look like a terrible loss on paper, as Riske was ranked only #185 and won 8 of the last 9 games, but was an awesome performance by the 19-year-old with the kind of name a Bond-girl might have!

It's not like Anna surrendered in a hail of unforced errors; Riske played extremely aggressive grass-court tennis, going to the net at every opportunity, and everything worked for her in the third set. Riske went on to upset #16 Yanina Wickmayer in the quarter-finals and take a set off #17 Maria Sharapova in the semi-finals. If Riske can keep up this kind of form, she's definitely the USA's best hope for world-domination when the Williams-sisters retire or decline!

I watched most of the first two sets only out of the corner of my eye, as I was concentrating on defending champion Magdaléna Rybáriková's second and third sets against Sesil Karatantcheva on the adjacent Court 3. As soon as Magda had lost and left the court, I paid a brief visit to Court 1 to watch the last game of Maria's win over Alla Kudryavtseva, then went to Court 4, where Anna was leading 6-4 *4-5.

In the first set, Anna saved BP×2 at *0-1 (15/40), and broke to 15 for *3-2. She saved 2 GPs at 5-3*, then had 2 SPs, but Riske saved the second with an ace, and held serve with another ace. Anna had two more SPs at *5-4 (40/15), converting 40/30 with an ace: 6-4.

Anna looked to be heading for victory when she broke for 6-4 *3-2 (after saving a GP), but Riske broke back immediately to 15. The next five games went with serve, with Anna hitting a crosscourt backhand winner and a crosscourt forehand winner from *4-5 (Deuce). Anna at *5-6 was broken to 30 after losing a point at the net, while Riske won set-point at the net: 5-7.

In the third set, Riske held to 15 with two crosscourt forehand winners and an error-forcing smash, then broke to 15 with two off-forehand winners and two errors from Anna: one unforced, one forced. Anna at 0-2* gave Riske a tough service-game, saving one GP with a crosscourt forehand drive-volley winner, but two service-winners made it *0-3, and a break to 30 made it 0-4*. Anna broke back to 40 with a crosscourt backhand winner and a down-the-line backhand return-winner: *1-4. But Riske broke again with a dead netcord winner at 30/40, then served two aces in a row to set up MP×3 at *5-1 (40/0). Anna bravely saved the first by forcing a short ball and hitting an off-forehand winner, but Riske converted the second with a pinpoint off-forehand winner onto the sideline.

My full report – with a description of every point I watched – is on my new website:
http://abroad.sqweebs.org/tennis/cha...ngham2010.html

--
Dr. Andrew Broad

My Eternal Fanship: 1. Monica Seles; 2. Мария Шарапова (‘Maria Sharapova’); 3. Daniela Hantuchová; 4. Jelena Dokić; 5. Iva Majoli; 6. Karina Habšudová; 7. Вера Звонарёва (‘Vera Zvonarëva’); 8. Nicole Vaidišová; 9. Анна Чакветадзе (‘Anna Chakvetadze’); 10. Lucie Šafářová; 11. Ирода Туляганова (‘Iroda Tulyaganova’); 12. Magdaléna Rybáriková; 13. Sabine Lisicki

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome