coaching Halep from behind the keyboard - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Serve2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11,153
                     
coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Coaching Halep from behind your keyboard.
You saw her play. You saw her win. You think there are things she needs to work on to move to the next level. Let's coach Halep from behind the keyboard. Maybe she'll read it.

What do you thing will improve her game? What does she need to work on?
Serve2Win is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2013, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Serve2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11,153
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

To be the first to answer the question, I'll say she needs to move forwards more. It pains me to see her hit great balls deep in the corner, and still wait behind the baseline, instead of stepping inside the court to keep the pressure on and take the balls early.
I think if she can do that, she'll quickly add another dimension to her game. She'll keep the rallies shorter and will win most of those points.
Serve2Win is offline  
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2013, 11:58 AM
country flag Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 20,150
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve2Win View Post
To be the first to answer the question, I'll say she needs to move forwards more. It pains me to see her hit great balls deep in the corner, and still wait behind the baseline, instead of stepping inside the court to keep the pressure on and take the balls early.
I think if she can do that, she'll quickly add another dimension to her game. She'll keep the rallies shorter and will win most of those points.
I think that she improve a lot in this area from an simply pusher to an counterpuncher but she still have to improve more, i think that the weak point where she should improve more it's SERVE and if she do that i can bet that she will be a steady TOP 5 player for years.

Simona Halep. Sorana Cîrstea,Jelena Janković,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitová,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Šafářová,Madison Keys,Donna Vekić,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwańska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic,Camila Giorgi,Zarina Diyas,Karolína Plíšková,Carina Witthöft.
The Best of Romanian Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSB5...Dst_z6&index=1
Dan is offline  
 
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14,086
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Yep, definitely to work on more consistency (and a bit more speed) on her serve. Apart from that, I love all parts of her game so can't be too critical. I suppose also to continue to work on her all-court game though she does seem to come into the net when necessary a lot more these days.
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
country flag Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 20,150
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Yep, definitely to work on more consistency (and a bit more speed) on her serve. Apart from that, I love all parts of her game so can't be too critical. I suppose also to continue to work on her all-court game though she does seem to come into the net when necessary a lot more these days.
Welcome on TF and thx for feedback. She is aware of her weaknesses as she said in an interview that she tries to improve more in this off season. I think that she can make a huge impact next season in WTA if she stays injure free.

Simona Halep. Sorana Cîrstea,Jelena Janković,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitová,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Šafářová,Madison Keys,Donna Vekić,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwańska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic,Camila Giorgi,Zarina Diyas,Karolína Plíšková,Carina Witthöft.
The Best of Romanian Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSB5...Dst_z6&index=1
Dan is offline  
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,251
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

She needs to improve her net-play. May be it's necessary to play in the doubles more
Hartson is offline  
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14,086
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
She needs to improve her net-play. May be it's necessary to play in the doubles more
You're right. She can be a bit sloppy with her volleys. However, she can do it. I was re-watching her Rome QF vs Jankovic last night and she won something like 12 out of 12 points at the net.
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 01:48 PM
country flag Dan
Senior Member
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 20,150
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
You're right. She can be a bit sloppy with her volleys. However, she can do it. I was re-watching her Rome QF vs Jankovic last night and she won something like 12 out of 12 points at the net.
She doesn't come often to net, but when she comes, in general, win the point. The former coach Marcu said in an interview that, in training often comes to the net. I think she only needs more confidence in this new style of her. I hope that will be in good shape in AO .

Simona Halep. Sorana Cîrstea,Jelena Janković,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitová,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Šafářová,Madison Keys,Donna Vekić,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwańska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic,Camila Giorgi,Zarina Diyas,Karolína Plíšková,Carina Witthöft.
The Best of Romanian Music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSB5...Dst_z6&index=1
Dan is offline  
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,251
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
She doesn't come often to net, but when she comes, in general, win the point..
Because she comes to the net only to finish point (when her opponent throws a short ball). She doesn't use an unexpected net-play
Hartson is offline  
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,903
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

i think she needs to improve her serve .. this is the most important point in my opinion

also she should give more power to her shots

otherwise i like all of her unique game .. her consistency , accurate smart shots , confidence .. i like the fact that she often has more winners , less unforced errors than her opponents

Briefly , i love watching her in the court more than any other player in wta or atp
mido1988 is offline  
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 14,086
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mido1988 View Post
i think she needs to improve her serve .. this is the most important point in my opinion

also she should give more power to her shots

otherwise i like all of her unique game .. her consistency , accurate smart shots , confidence .. i like the fact that she often has more winners , less unforced errors than her opponents

Briefly , i love watching her in the court more than any other player in wta or atp
Yep, you're definitely on the bandwagon. Nothing wrong with that when, like you say, she is so different to the vast majority of other players on the WTA.

I don't know if she should worry too much about developing more power on her groundstrokes. Part of what makes her difficult to play is the topspin and accuracy of placement that she tries (very well) to employ. By developing more power she might have to forsake some of the topspin and accuracy. Maybe I'm wrong?

Definitely more power needed on her serve though - she gets herself in a pickle a bit too often on her service games by being a bit too easy to return and thereby losing control of the point.
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,903
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Yep, you're definitely on the bandwagon. Nothing wrong with that when, like you say, she is so different to the vast majority of other players on the WTA.

I don't know if she should worry too much about developing more power on her groundstrokes. Part of what makes her difficult to play is the topspin and accuracy of placement that she tries (very well) to employ. By developing more power she might have to forsake some of the topspin and accuracy. Maybe I'm wrong?

Definitely more power needed on her serve though - she gets herself in a pickle a bit too often on her service games by being a bit too easy to return and thereby losing control of the point.
i think that the most important and unique in simona style of playing is accuracy and smart deep shots not the very strong shots

but some times she has the opportunity to end rallies but she hits the ball not strong enough even in the corners.. this makes the points longer and the opponent can Turn the situations

but i agree that serve is the point she has to improve necessarily

sorry i’m not that very good in english but i hope I was able to clarify my idea
mido1988 is offline  
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
s0higher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,451
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartson View Post
Because she comes to the net only to finish point (when her opponent throws a short ball). She doesn't use an unexpected net-play
It`s not easy for a player with Simona`s height to come so often to the net, where she can be easily lobed or passed. Her arms are not that long like let`s say Azarenka so it`s harder for her to cover all the net. She needs to be really smart when it comes to the netplay, she has to pick the right moments if there are any...
s0higher is offline  
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,881
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0higher View Post
It`s not easy for a player with Simona`s height to come so often to the net, where she can be easily lobed or passed. Her arms are not that long like let`s say Azarenka so it`s harder for her to cover all the net. She needs to be really smart when it comes to the netplay, she has to pick the right moments if there are any...
Definitely agree with this, but she is still missing too many of those easy sitters for my liking, but then again most women have big problems in that area.

What I noticed is that she still has service games in a match where she is rushing and losing back to back points with crass errors and those are usually happening at the worst possible moment. It seems to me that this is a mental story as her game style demands of her to be focused all the time.
Curcubeu is offline  
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,251
                     
Re: coaching Halep from behind the keyboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0higher View Post
It`s not easy for a player with Simona`s height to come so often to the net, where she can be easily lobed or passed. Her arms are not that long like let`s say Azarenka so it`s harder for her to cover all the net.
I don't think it depends to much on height. Look at Zvonareva, Errani, Vinci. But they all are very good doubles players, it seems today only doubles specialists can play well at the net -))
However may be Simona with her playing style doesn't need to play at the net too often
Hartson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome