Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2 - Page 148 - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2206 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,087
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
I think that Vika should be a bigger 'star' considering her achievements. Her problem is that although some find her a nuisance, she's not really seen as 'a rebel' like a, say, Jennifer Capriati who you would almost expect to show up at a fancy WTA party in a leather jacket and with a joint in her mouth. Of course she never did that, but she had that type of rock & roll image and many (including yours truly ) found it appealing. Vika doesn't really have any of that. I also think that her high pitched grunting hurts her popularity tremendously.

Li Na has it easy. I think that the Li Na you see is the real person and people love her, so she really doesn't have to do anything but be herself.

Simona seems like a likable down to earth type of girl. I think she will do allright for herself.
I quite like Vika, precisely because she isn't too concerned about her image. Her negative image is mainly due to her sometimes less than exemplary behaviour on court, but off court she's generally a pretty nice, friendly, somewhat goofy girl next door type. I certainly prefer her to Capriati.

For better or worse Simona doesn't have the bad on-court behaviour of Vika, which probably means she'll have to garner attention with her tennis and her off-court personality. She's already winning over fans with her tennis. And as you said, she's a likeable down to earth girl. Even if that is not a recipe for mega-stardom, it's something a lot of fans can identify with, so you're probably right that she'll do okay.
stromatolite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2207 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,748
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I quite like Vika, precisely because she isn't too concerned about her image. Her negative image is mainly due to her sometimes less than exemplary behaviour on court, but off court she's generally a pretty nice, friendly, somewhat goofy girl next door type. I certainly prefer her to Capriati.
I don't mind Vika either. I don't dislike any of the players really. I was only talking about public perception, or what I think that public perception is anyway, but I might be wrong.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #2208 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13,382
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Simona 'scrubs up' very well I think when she lets her hair down and puts on a dress for a night out. The rest of the time, she's very cute.

My reflections on what we have just see from Simona these past few days ...

If there was any doubts after the AO Quarter-Final that Simona is not a big match player, I think they have been put firmly to bed. She got her mental preparation horribly wrong that day but, with Fissette on board, I feel sure she won't be making the same mistake again.

She looked so relaxed and free of tension throughout her matches against Errani and Aga in particular. Sure, she had her little moments where she was talking aloud to herself, but on the whole she was just serene in her demeanour. That serenity was reflected in the control she showed in her tennis. However, I do kind of like the little talks and arm gestures she gives to herself after a bad point. She even does it when she's a set and 4-1 up, in total control. Shows what a perfectionist she is!

Simona keeps on talking about playing with no pressure. I find this fascinating. I'm sure she really means 'playing with as little pressure as possible' because, surely, she can't be feeling no pressure to do well this year. But, I can believe that this week she minimised the pressure on herself. It shows again that she is as tough as nails mentally (as does the comeback from 2-5 against Aga to reel off 8 games - how many others do that?!) I know she reads sports psychology books. Maybe a lot of players do, but for the vast majority of the WTA it would appear they don't learn from such books. Simona, being a smart girl, obviously does!

Finally, the bit I would not dare to post in GM at the moment. Those who didn't see her matches in Doha would jump right on it, as well as maybe a few who did but aren't thinking things through. It looks heavily biased but hey, sometimes these things are true ...

Her 2 matches against Errani and against Aga (from 2-5 down) were number 1 contenders for the most complete and most entertaining displays of point construction and shot-making seen by a female player in the last year. Initially it may seem an outrageous statement, but people would just need to watch the matches again. She was breathtaking and it was sustained for long periods. Sure, Serena matched the effectiveness of Simona's Doha game on many occasions last year but seriously, given a choice, would you rather watch Serena's serve-reliant game ending the point in 3 shots or would you rather watch Simona's masterclass in rallying, point construction & putting away the winner? It's no contest in terms of entertainment and commitment, and I don't see any other players who are currently matching the beauty of Simona's game in Doha. It was tennis played 'the right way'! Some people have said Aga played badly. I've re-watched that match. She did not. She was playing great tennis too for much of the match, even in the 2nd set. Sure, she made a lot more errors than usual but a lot of her UEs were forced by the quality of the ball she was consistently getting back from Simona. Simona was simply on a different planet to Aga.

Please tell me I'm not mad.

Sure, there's things in her game we could criticise her for. But, it would be silly for us to do so right now after such magnificent and dominant tennis. Let's leave that to Wim Fissette to sort out. I am so looking forward to the further improvements in time. Imagine that!

That Simona was able to bring such a brilliant level of tennis to 2 consecutive matches against top players, and was able to bring something fairly near that level to the final ... it says she has arrived. The upper reaches of the Top 10 should be quaking in their boots/tennis shoes (maybe Aga will tell them when she next sees them!) Who else hits 80 top-drawer winners and just 42 UEs in 3 consecutive Top 10 matches? It can't happen very often. I have few doubts that Simona will step up to her next challenge of maintaining something close to this form for large parts of the rest of the year and bringing it to get wins against Vika, Na & Maria.

Simona Halep, Princess of Hearts
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #2209 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,087
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Simona 'scrubs up' very well I think when she lets her hair down and puts on a dress for a night out. The rest of the time, she's very cute.

My reflections on what we have just see from Simona these past few days ...

If there was any doubts after the AO Quarter-Final that Simona is not a big match player, I think they have been put firmly to bed. She got her mental preparation horribly wrong that day but, with Fissette on board, I feel sure she won't be making the same mistake again.

She looked so relaxed and free of tension throughout her matches against Errani and Aga in particular. Sure, she had her little moments where she was talking aloud to herself, but on the whole she was just serene in her demeanour. That serenity was reflected in the control she showed in her tennis. However, I do kind of like the little talks and arm gestures she gives to herself after a bad point. She even does it when she's a set and 4-1 up, in total control. Shows what a perfectionist she is!

Simona keeps on talking about playing with no pressure. I find this fascinating. I'm sure she really means 'playing with as little pressure as possible' because, surely, she can't be feeling no pressure to do well this year. But, I can believe that this week she minimised the pressure on herself. It shows again that she is as tough as nails mentally (as does the comeback from 2-5 against Aga to reel off 8 games - how many others do that?!) I know she reads sports psychology books. Maybe a lot of players do, but for the vast majority of the WTA it would appear they don't learn from such books. Simona, being a smart girl, obviously does!

Finally, the bit I would not dare to post in GM at the moment. Those who didn't see her matches in Doha would jump right on it, as well as maybe a few who did but aren't thinking things through. It looks heavily biased but hey, sometimes these things are true ...

Her 2 matches against Errani and against Aga (from 2-5 down) were number 1 contenders for the most complete and most entertaining displays of point construction and shot-making seen by a female player in the last year. Initially it may seem an outrageous statement, but people would just need to watch the matches again. She was breathtaking and it was sustained for long periods. Sure, Serena matched the effectiveness of Simona's Doha game on many occasions last year but seriously, given a choice, would you rather watch Serena's serve-reliant game ending the point in 3 shots or would you rather watch Simona's masterclass in rallying, point construction & putting away the winner? It's no contest in terms of entertainment and commitment, and I don't see any other players who are currently matching the beauty of Simona's game in Doha. It was tennis played 'the right way'! Some people have said Aga played badly. I've re-watched that match. She did not. She was playing great tennis too for much of the match, even in the 2nd set. Sure, she made a lot more errors than usual but a lot of her UEs were forced by the quality of the ball she was consistently getting back from Simona. Simona was simply on a different planet to Aga.

Please tell me I'm not mad.

Sure, there's things in her game we could criticise her for. But, it would be silly for us to do so right now after such magnificent and dominant tennis. Let's leave that to Wim Fissette to sort out. I am so looking forward to the further improvements in time. Imagine that!

That Simona was able to bring such a brilliant level of tennis to 2 consecutive matches against top players, and was able to bring something fairly near that level to the final ... it says she has arrived. The upper reaches of the Top 10 should be quaking in their boots/tennis shoes (maybe Aga will tell them when she next sees them!) Who else hits 80 top-drawer winners and just 42 UEs in 3 Top 10 matches? It can't happen very often. I have few doubts that Simona will step up to her next challenge of maintaining something close to this form for large parts of the rest of the year and bringing it to get wins against Vika, Na & Maria.
Here for example she looks quite stunning:



I don't think your comments are outrageous btw. I feel quite the same way. Better to keep this here rather than on GM for a while, but for my money Simona is the only player who is consistently delivering the kind of tennis that is worth getting excited about. There are others who are playing quite effectively on a consistent basis, and still others who are playing brilliantly in patches, but Simona is the only player who consistently delivers quite breathtaking tennis.
stromatolite is offline  
post #2210 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
CristianB8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 2,912
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

This is the song for Simona at the beginning of the year (her game was anywhere to find) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8rOedNHUU
But now this is the song that suits her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8rcLvS1BY
)
CristianB8 is offline  
post #2211 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Cosimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

CheddarChomper, you are not mad. At least not yet. Or if you are, so am I.
Cosimo is offline  
post #2212 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:50 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Chrissie-fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,748
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

I think it's a fair assessment to say that Simona is playing the most attractive tennis right now. "Peak Aga" is the most attractive of them all in my opinion, and by a considerable margin at that, but Simona is more consistent in her attractiveness.

Chrissie-fan is offline  
post #2213 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13,382
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianB8 View Post
This is the song for Simona at the beginning of the year (her game was anywhere to find) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK8rOedNHUU
But now this is the song that suits her: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA8rcLvS1BY
)
But I'm not sure we want to be connecting Simona to that clown, Redfoo, in any way.

Simona Halep, Princess of Hearts
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #2214 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13,382
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
... Simona is the only player who is consistently delivering the kind of tennis that is worth getting excited about ...
I know. We got excited about her tennis last year in tourneys like New Haven & Sofia. However, Doha was another gear in terms of exciting tennis.

What I love too is her passion, dedication and commitment to her cause. No-one else is matching her for that in the Top 10 except Serena (and Li Na?). Sure, other players bounce back from disappointing defeats like Simona does but Simona seems to have that extra level of desire at the moment. I mean, 3-5 down against Kanepi in the final set & 2-5 down against Aga ... She's never beaten until the last ball goes out and she's a woman on a mission with something to prove.

PS, Thanks guys for letting me know I'm not mad.

Simona Halep, Princess of Hearts

Last edited by CheddarChomper; Feb 17th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #2215 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
CheddarChomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13,382
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Fan View Post
i do record some matches from time to time, meant to record that one but didn't get to. i have the other four Doha matches, fed cup against hungary and ukraine etc...
Ooh, I missed her match against Annika Beck and would love to see that. It's not on Youtube in full, so you would be my hero if you could somehow let me have access to it. Do you have an online storage account like Dropbox, SkyDrive or Google Docs? I would be very grateful if you could upload it there and then PM me the share/public link to it so that I can download it.

Simona Halep, Princess of Hearts
CheddarChomper is offline  
post #2216 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
CristianB8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 2,912
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
But I'm not sure we want to be connecting Simona to that clown, Redfoo, in any way.
Oh, God forbidden but the title of the song it's perfect for this moment, I don't know, this is how I feel the situation )
CristianB8 is offline  
post #2217 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Cosimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 317
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarChomper View Post
Ooh, I missed her match against Annika Beck and would love to see that. It's not on Youtube in full, so you would be my hero if you could somehow let me have access to it. Do you have an online storage account like Dropbox, SkyDrive or Google Docs? I would be very grateful if you could upload it there and then PM me the share/public link to it so that I can download it.
I want it too
Cosimo is offline  
post #2218 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Nightcrawl3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10,795
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Plays the 1st match tomorrow on Centre Court . Idiot organizers

.
Nightcrawl3r is offline  
post #2219 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
scrumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,444
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2



Remembered about this. That's it, Shake it off Simo!
scrumm is offline  
post #2220 of 5518 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4,868
                     
Re: Simona Halep Cheering thread - volume 2

Simona plays tomorrow at 2 pm ( local time ) on central court .. that's too fast

_____________

Simna Halep
.... keep believing
mido1988 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome