Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 30 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #436 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Always and forever.
 
LefandePatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,984
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Mona
I set the alarm clock but couldn't wake up
It looks like Mona had her chances too in this match, wasted a few BP's in the second set, too bad
Anyway I still think it's a godd result, SF + F, and Vesnina is also playing excellent tennis at the moment, so I don't think this is a 'bad' loss.
Now onto the Australian Open with the tricky first round against Pervak, good luck Mona!!
LefandePatty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #437 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM
-I am not crazy-
 
Michael!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Germany
Posts: 59,330
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

couldnt see it but not surprised that Vesnina won!
Mona reached the final but never played that great, too many errors in general and her serve wasn´t really working this week, still many things to improve but great to see that even average playing Mona can reach WTA finals
Still a good start into 2013, hope she reaches 3rd round in Melbourne now, all chances

Michael! is offline  
post #438 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,487
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael! View Post
couldnt see it but not surprised that Vesnina won!
Mona reached the final but never played that great, too many errors in general and her serve wasn´t really working this week, still many things to improve but great to see that even average playing Mona can reach WTA finals
Still a good start into 2013, hope she reaches 3rd round in Melbourne now, all chances
I was like "didn't I read this posting 5 minutes ago or am I crazy"?? Then I saw you just recycled a little bit. Haha :-)

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
 
post #439 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,612
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMatz View Post
So Mona lost the final because of her attitude, on purpose ?
I agree with you. All this talk about Mona's on-court attitude being her downfall is utter rubbish.

It's indicative of how many tennis fans nowadays automatically assume you have to be a cµnt in order to be a champion.

That's a (mostly American) myth that already long ago has been debunked by the likes of Evert and Borg and Edberg and so forth...

Last edited by Meelis; Jan 12th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Raiden is offline  
post #440 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 01:37 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 28,669
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMatz View Post
So Mona lost the final because of her attitude, on purpose ?
Your post seems strange. If a player's "attitude" is part of the issue (I don't think it is with Barthel)it has nothing to do with it being "on purpose." Almost all top players have a intense drive to win - a hunger. I don't know if that drive can be cultivated.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #441 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:10 PM
____________________
 
heavyhorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,576
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Good god Mona - get a coach. You have so much potential and really you shouldn't be losing to players like Vesnina
heavyhorse is offline  
post #442 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,665
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
I think Pervak as a solid but not powerful baseliner should be a good matchup for Mona. So i am optimistic that we will see our girl winning on monday.
That Pervak is a lefty might help. No fh vs. fh cc battles. Even against a lefty forehand I´d take Mona´s backhand, so she should win those cc battles and then be able to rip the bh dtl. On the other hand, Barthel´s favourite bh dtl return will play into Pervak´s fh and she can redirect it crosscourt. The question is whether Pervak can absorb the huge power with some control and move the ball around a few times. Mots of the time, she could not against top players. If she can (like Vesnina) Barthel will be in a world of trouble.

Not to sound like a broken record, but until she gets a fulltime coach to work and raise her defensive side of the ball to acceptable standards, she is not going anywhere near the top. What we saw against Vesnina is not poor Barthel. It is normal Barthel. In essence her defensive liabilities make Barthel what most here would call a stupid ballbasher, even though it is by default. When she brings her A-Game (serve/return) she can dominate through them to hide her huge defensive deficiencies. If she doesn´t every player that can introduce some sharp angles, dropshots and deep balls into the match will draw errors quickly.

I am not a fan of the direction a lot of Maria threads have taken over the last 12 months.

The undertone is very disappointing, aggressive and the comments are sometimes rude to a player just trying to earn a living, playing her hardest and having a good amount of success given her god given, natural talents.
You made the list: Cibulkova (President), Mladenovic, Wozniacki, Kerber, Cornet, Watson.
Please note this is a signature about Tatjana Maria
Patrick345 is offline  
post #443 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:35 PM
.
 
Kerber Counter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 32,911
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.


Angelique Kerber 2016 AO Champion 2016 USO Champion
♥ Barthel ♥ Pliskova ♥ Shvedova ♥ Pavly ♥ Bellis ♥ Muguruza ♥ Radwanska ♥ Halep ♥
Kerber Counter is offline  
post #444 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:44 PM
.
 
Kerber Counter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 32,911
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
That Pervak is a lefty might help. No fh vs. fh cc battles. Even against a lefty forehand I´d take Mona´s backhand, so she should win those cc battles and then be able to rip the bh dtl. On the other hand, Barthel´s favourite bh dtl return will play into Pervak´s fh and she can redirect it crosscourt. The question is whether Pervak can absorb the huge power with some control and move the ball around a few times. Mots of the time, she could not against top players. If she can (like Vesnina) Barthel will be in a world of trouble.

Not to sound like a broken record, but until she gets a fulltime coach to work and raise her defensive side of the ball to acceptable standards, she is not going anywhere near the top. What we saw against Vesnina is not poor Barthel. It is normal Barthel. In essence her defensive liabilities make Barthel what most here would call a stupid ballbasher, even though it is by default. When she brings her A-Game (serve/return) she can dominate through them to hide her huge defensive deficiencies. If she doesn´t every player that can introduce some sharp angles, dropshots and deep balls into the match will draw errors quickly.
Agree with all this especially the bolded part.


Angelique Kerber 2016 AO Champion 2016 USO Champion
♥ Barthel ♥ Pliskova ♥ Shvedova ♥ Pavly ♥ Bellis ♥ Muguruza ♥ Radwanska ♥ Halep ♥
Kerber Counter is offline  
post #445 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,665
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.
I don´t get that at all. Don´t you experiment with that as a kid? You notice that grip doesn´t work (looks like she is about to break her wrist ) and you try a different one till it feels right. Some of her attempts are just cringe-worthy.

I am not a fan of the direction a lot of Maria threads have taken over the last 12 months.

The undertone is very disappointing, aggressive and the comments are sometimes rude to a player just trying to earn a living, playing her hardest and having a good amount of success given her god given, natural talents.
You made the list: Cibulkova (President), Mladenovic, Wozniacki, Kerber, Cornet, Watson.
Please note this is a signature about Tatjana Maria
Patrick345 is offline  
post #446 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,487
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.
Yes she plays with the same grip on both sides. I noticed that when I saw her in Copenhagen. Dunno about the serve though.

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #447 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,612
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisagi. View Post
Am I the only one who noticed that she doesn't adjust her grip? She can't even hit slice BH because she doesn't adjust her grip at all.
She couldn't slice, period.

Some of her slice attempts on her forehand side were just as abysmal as those on the BH side.

I like to believe she actually can hit those and that it's just a matter of getting used to

And getting used to requires good training.... and that requires good coaching.

So it all comes back to the same thing with Mona
Raiden is offline  
post #448 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Tecumseh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: #TeamBlinky
Posts: 7,225
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazillo View Post
Yes she plays with the same grip on both sides. I noticed that when I saw her in Copenhagen. Dunno about the serve though.
When Mona plays her normal forehand she uses a semi-western grip. When you look at the position of her thumb you can see it clearly. Only for her defensive forehand slice she uses a continental grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mona Barthel.jpg (42.1 KB, 9 views)
Tecumseh is offline  
post #449 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,550
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhorse View Post
Good god Mona - get a coach. You have so much potential and really you shouldn't be losing to players like Vesnina
Rex59 is online now  
post #450 of 2842 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2013, 06:05 PM
/|\JUSTICE FOR YULKATYA/|\
 
Potapovushina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: getting my brovki tatted~
Posts: 50,844
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I agree with you. All this talk about Mona's on-court attitude being her downfall is utter rubbish.

It's indicative of how many tennis fans nowadays automatically assume you have to be a cµnt in order to be a champion.

That's a (mostly American) myth that already long ago has been debunked by the likes of Evert and Borg and Edberg and so forth...
This.

Her composure is a strenght and her apparent calm doesn't mean she isn't determined to fight and win.

💜 BEPAALONAYOULIANICOLECHAK MonaSchmiedlovéKonjuhKasatenikPliskobotsKvittyBencicBellisDodinKudermetovyBlinkyKalinskayaVikhlyantsevaGalfiLottnerKovinicAstapenkaZhuk 💎 Potapova۵Pervushina۵Rybakina۵Hatouka۵Anisimova۵Kostyuk۵Danilovic۵Bartone۵Lansere۵Zavatska۵Yastremska۵Hindova۵Koval۵Vismane۵Morlet۵Johnson۵Pepelyaeva 💜
❤️TolibovaLapkoSabalenkaGovortsovaSasnovichMamarenkaShytkouskayaPaulenkaTalbiKubarevaKanapatskayaAbramovichKolodynskaDmitrukFaleiLaskevichGrudino💚
Potapovushina is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome