Mona Barthel - Volume 2 - Page 153 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2281 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,035
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnffy View Post
@linzsports
Mona Barthel watching in the stands is the most exciting thing about this tennis match. By far. Nearlly everyone in the stands have left.

She watched Serena in the hot sun righth before her own match? I wonder if she even warms up properly for a match hitting and stretching, when she is coached by her mother. I have a feeling she has little to no idea how to be a pro off and on the court. She clearly needs a full-time coach for all that stuff. SheŽd probably be too embarrassed to just let herself go like today, if she had a coach in the stands that commands her respect.

I am not a fan of the direction a lot of Maria threads have taken over the last 12 months.
The undertone is very disappointing, aggressive and the comments are sometimes rude to a player just trying to earn a living, playing her hardest and having a good amount of success given her god given, natural talents.
You made the list: NEW President Bouchard, Cibulkova, Mladenovic, Wozniacki, Kerber, Cornet, Watson, Broady.
Please note this is a signature about Tatjana Maria
Patrick345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2282 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisfreak13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12,605
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Das war das Spiel gestern. Also das von Pegula und Muguruza. Aber bei Mona gibt es eigentlich nur totale Dominanz, solche Desaster wie heute und dann halt noch diese engen Supermatches gegen die Topspielerinnen die sie dann ob doch gerne mal verliert.
tennisfreak13 is offline  
post #2283 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,250
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Wtf, Mona. That was a disaster.

What scared me most was not just her refusal to work in the second set, but the scenario in the break after the first set.
Mona was acting like a little child and there is no need to talk about her mum anymore. Very sad scene.
There seems to be some trouble in the house.
Hopefully Mona finally notices that she needs a full-time coach and does not continue to kid herself.
joy division is offline  
 
post #2284 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,612
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Missed this but reports are troubling. Especially reports that "she isn't trying". I don't understand that. Maybe she was just playing so badly it looked like she wasn't trying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
She watched Serena in the hot sun righth before her own match? I wonder if she even warms up properly for a match hitting and stretching, when she is coached by her mother.
That tweet was from when she was watching Pegula to scout her.

Somewhat worrying loss. I'm sure she has her own warm up routine with dynamic stretching etc but without a coach she might have a little trouble organising hitting. Usually players who are lacking a hitting partner will hit with another player though.
HowardH is online now  
post #2285 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
.
 
Kerber Counter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 33,302
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

She reminded me a lot of Gulbis in that 2nd set. I'm a big fan of Ernests and that's exactly what happens in his matches when he is full of rage. He completely throws matches away just because he can't control his emotions. Mona is probably even worse at that.

She needs to learn how to control her emotions.


Kerber Mladenovic Barthel Pavlyuchenkova

Last edited by Kerber Counter; Apr 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
Kerber Counter is offline  
post #2286 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,618
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Isn't it strange though? Mona usually comes across as not emotional and cool-headed. And then we hear the probably most explosive outbreak of emotion by a player EVER recorded during coaching on the tour.

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #2287 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Penc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Karthago
Posts: 15,457
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

She should hire a really good coach or study medicine or practice yoga or play chess or enter a convent. Save where you can not save - she and her mother, please forget it.
Penc is online now  
post #2288 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Tecumseh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: #TeamLenok
Posts: 7,883
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
Wtf, Mona. That was a disaster.

What scared me most was not just her refusal to work in the second set, but the scenario in the break after the first set.
Mona was acting like a little child and there is no need to talk about her mum anymore. Very sad scene.
There seems to be some trouble in the house.
Hopefully Mona finally notices that she needs a full-time coach and does not continue to kid herself.
I feel a bit sorry for Mona's mum. I always thought that she doesn't really want to be in that coaching position and that Mona is the one who can't let her go in order to travel with a real coach. She needs to grow up now obviously.
Tecumseh is online now  
post #2289 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:34 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31,827
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

WTF! I didn't see the match and not only did she lose but, from what I've been reading, she imploded. That sucks.

As far as the coach thing - I dunno. When it comes to emotional/mental issues, I've rarely seen a case where a coach accomplishes much. Murray is the only one I can think of. Azarenka, who was a volatile mess, changed because she decided to - not because of coaching.


Dang . . . I hope she gets it more together.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #2290 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 10:38 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 31,827
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elba View Post
She should hire a really good coach or study medicine or practice yoga or play chess or enter a convent. Save where you can not save - she and her mother, please forget it.
I'm not on board with the "blame her Mom" bit. Her Mom went through a lot to help her get to where she is. But yeah yoga or a meditation practice can help. So can some of the more cutting-edge sports psychologists. That energy she's turning on herself can actually help her play better if she channels it effectively. Which yeah - is often easier said than done.

"These lifeforms feel such passionate hatreds over matters of custom, God concepts, even - strangely enough - economic systems." - Capt. J Piccard USS Enterprise

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #2291 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Penc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Karthago
Posts: 15,457
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I'm not on board with the "blame her Mom" bit. Her Mom went through a lot to help her get to where she is. But yeah yoga or a meditation practice can help. So can some of the more cutting-edge sports psychologists. That energy she's turning on herself can actually help her play better if she channels it effectively. Which yeah - is often easier said than done.
I said not: yoga and medication can help, I said, she has to stop play half-heartedly tennis and do stg else.


In tennis, it's not about you can achieve great points, it's all about being better in two sets - similar to chess or boxing.
Penc is online now  
post #2292 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,250
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecumseh View Post
I feel a bit sorry for Mona's mum. I always thought that she doesn't really want to be in that coaching position and that Mona is the one who can't let her go in order to travel with a real coach. She needs to grow up now obviously.
Interesting point. We don`t know who is clinging to whome in this relation. Most probably both are doing so.
When Mona deperately shouted "I have no clue what I can do now" it sounded to me close to as if she wanted to provoke and expose her mum infront of herself. Something is bothering Mona probably the whole coach story, the FedCup discussion, whatever...
Anyway, that scene was definitely showing a lot and is a call for action.

Last edited by joy division; Apr 2nd, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
joy division is offline  
post #2293 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Tecumseh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: #TeamLenok
Posts: 7,883
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy division View Post
Interesting point. We don`t know who is clinging to whome in this relation. Most probably both are doing so.
When Mona deperately shouted "I have no clue what I can do now" it sounded to me close to as if she wanted to provoke and expose her mum infront of herself. Something is bothering Mona probably the whole coach story, the FedCup discussion, whatever...
Anyway, that scene was definitely showing a lot and is a call for action.
She seems to set herself under too much pressure and obviously her expectations after all the good results have risen too much. And that's why she completely lost the control over her emotions after that first set. It was crystal clear that she thereafter wasn't able anymore to put up a fight and i don't blame her for that. This is simply not possible for such a sensible player when facing such a psychological collapse. But she surely has to sort these problems out in order to fulfill her potential.

Anyway, i won't lose my believe in Mona as i know that these painful losses can be helpful in the long run.
Tecumseh is online now  
post #2294 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
crazillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 36,618
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

She seems like 17 in many ways, still somewhat like a rookey. She will mature eventually.

FLAVIA PENNETTA

US OPEN CHAMPION 2015

Thank you for all these moments over the last years! Supported you until your final point!
crazillo is offline  
post #2295 of 2842 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:31 AM
👑 не думала, что ты такая жополизница
 
Northstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 41,204
                     
Re: Mona Barthel - Volume 2

A Mess!



Northstar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome