Tournament PREDICTIONS and POSSIBILITIES
The seeds (I'll update this when I see the draw):
01. Serena Williams: The obvious favorite. Nobody here gives her particular trouble.
02. Venus Williams: An early upset in the making? She will be rusty for sure, and it's not like she can "play her way" into the tournament before facing a top player....everyone here (except for one) is a TOP player.
03. Jennifer Capriati: Round one or quarterfinal loss 99% assured.
04. Justine Henin: Has been looking better recently. Should manage round one, possibly through to semis, or if draw opens up, finals.
05. Kim Clijsters: Have to like her chances. She has to be favored against the top four unless she meets Serena, who she gave a first-set drubbing to in their last encounter. Recently play is encouraging.
06. Monica Seles: Early round upset. Rusty, and let's face it, she's getting up there.
07. Daniela Hantuchova: Could make waves considering recent play. Still hasn't shown she can beat a Williams sister.
08. Jelena Dokic: First round loss.
09. Lindsay Davenport: Is she still playing? If not injured, expect her to win her first round if she meets Seles, Dani, or Jelena (and the probability of her playing Jelena first is highest).
10. Anastasia Myskina: The lurking dark horse. She has beaten all of the #5-8 seeds sometime this year except Seles, who she could beat now anyway.
11. Patty Schnyder: Not a fun match-up, considering that she too is playing better than the #6-8 seeds. Upset specialist.
12. Chanda Rubin: Inconsistent, but if she makes it past round one, has shown the ability to beat the elite. If she wins the first one, she gets far.
13. Silvia Farina Elia: Useless. Useless, crappy player, who had a few nice wins years ago to get a decent ranking, and has racked up something like 30 Tier III quarterfinals a year to manage the ranking. The top four seeds are all praying to meet her first round and not the next three.
14. Maggie Maleeva: This is on carpet, right? Watch out...
15. Anna Smashnova: Whether she wins basically depends on the play of her opponent, so if any of the top four are rusty in their first round, she is not the ideal opponent for them. I'd give her a 25% chance at an early upset.
16. Elena Dementieva: Who knows? Has the speed and power to handle the top four, but 'consistence' is a foreign word to her.
First round match-ups:
1-4 vs. 13-16
No one wants to meet Maleeva. All are hoping to meet Farina Elia. If rusty, the top four would want to play Dementieva as opposed to Smashnova.
5-8 vs. 9-12
Clijsters the only sure bet. Davenport, Rubin, Myskina, Schnyder could upset any of them, and Dokic and Seles are almost sure 1st round losers.
Early losers (top 8): Venus, Capriati, Dokic, Seles.
Favorites: Serena, Clijsters, Henin
Winner: Serena over a Belgian
Thoughts, si vous plait...