Confirmed US Open Wild Cards (As of 7/30/2013)
1. Nicole Gibbs (USA) - NCAA Champ
2. Shelby Rogers (USA) - USTA Pro Circuit Wild Card Recipient
3. French Wild Card Recipient (FRA)
4. Australian Wild Card Recipient (AUS)
5. Sachia Vickery (USA) - USTA 18s Champ
Figured I would get this thread rolling, because I'm curious to see what others think. The USTA is in a very tough position this year because there are a lot of girls close to the cutoff, as well as a lot of promising junior players. It's a good, but frustrating problem to have. The depth of American women right now means these wildcards won't merely be throwaways. I really believe every girl given a wildcard here will have a solid chance to win a match. So without further ado, let's discuss.
As the ranking list stands now, here are my picks:
1. Aussie reciprocal wildcard (Casey Dellacqua?)
2. French reciprocal wildcard (Virginie Razzano?)
3. USTA 18s Champ
4. Nicole Gibbs (2013 NCAA singles champ)
5. USTA Pro Circuit WC Playoff winner (Currently Gibbs is in the lead, but Alison Riske or Shelby Rogers will most likely overtake her this week).
6. Alison Riske (Next into MD and USTA has given the next in a MDWC three out of the last four years. Plus coming off a Wimbledon R3)
7. Samantha Crawford (Qualified last year, is the reigning US Open Girls Champ)
8. Taylor Townsend (USTA needs to save face after last year's scandal. Besides, Taylor is playing well, coming off a Junior Wimbledon final)
I'm really hoping Alison gets in directly to free up another WC spot, which in turn would most likely free up a QWC spot
1. Coco Vandeweghe (USTA favorite)
2. Sachia Vickery (Rising junior sitting at a CHR of 240 at the moment).
3. Louisa Chirico (Playing fantastic junior tennis at the moment. Semis of RG and Wimbledon)
4. Jamie Loeb (Another player playing good junior tennis right now)
5. Victoria Duval (Has had solid results this year. Last year's 18s champ. Still young)
6. Julia Boserup (Coming back from injury. Brings her A game to a big stage).
7. USTA National Playoff Winner
8. NCAA player (Lauren Embree? NCAA runner up Mary Weatherholt? Kristie Ahn or Krista Hardebeck? Brianna Morgan?)