2013 US Open – Out of Top 10 - Page 20 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #286 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Milan.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Anapolis
Posts: 25,802
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Is this the lowest point of Petra's career so far?

In some ways I want Petra to lose against the lesser Radanska, she needs a real shock, a wake up call. Serena had it, when she lost in the first round of the French open, said she didn't leave the house for two days but look how she came back.

I want this to happen to Petra, she needs a really bad loss, one where she can't use one of her lame excuses. One where she can't do a little shopping and all her problems disappear.
I think that won't help... Serena and Petra don't have same mentality, I think if she loses to lesser Radanska it will make things even worse than they are now, I'm afraid

'I was born to be the tortoise. I was born to walk alone.'

aleks krunić ♔ ana ivanović ♔ venus williams
maria sharapova • sabine lisicki • martina hingis • tsvetana pironkova • ons jabeur • elina svitolina • barbora strycova • ashleigh barty • nina stojanovic
Milan. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #287 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Balveda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,940
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan. View Post
I think that won't help... Serena and Petra don't have same mentality, I think if she loses to lesser Radanska it will make things even worse than they are now, I'm afraid
Your probably right... her only other option then is to destroy everyone in her path and win the title.

Lets see what happens in NH...

Simona [13] - Kasatkina
Aga [18] - Beck [2] - Kvitova [17]
Cetkovska - Bencic [2] - Gasparyan [1] - Cîrstea [1]
Balveda is online now  
post #288 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Senior Member
 
mac47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,497
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

First, what's this "secured 8 seed by skin of teeth" news? Is this her projected USO seeding? Where's the discussion and analysis?

Second, I'm tired of the doom and gloom. I don't care about her results in Cincy and Canada. I do like the fact that she is looking fitter. Ultimately, that's what will help. Petra is a top ten fixture, and even if she falls out of the top ten briefly this year, she will easily regain her spot at the beginning of next year.

Third, it occurs to me as I watch her old 2011 matches that her limbs are considerably more solid now than they were back then. She has possible grown a bit, and has put on muscle in her legs and arms. Yes, she's not yet quite as lean as in 2011 either, but her body doesn't put fat on her legs anyway. If you compare 2013 Petra's build to 2011, you'll see what I mean. I think some really great things could happen as she gets fitter. Those 2011 results happened mostly because of her fitness improvement. Mentality and execution followed. That is just the way it goes. (It's also why Vika is IMO doomed unless she turns her own fitness around.)

I have got used to the roller coaster by now, and I think Petra can have another 2011 year next year if her fitness continues on this new trajectory. She is too talented a player not to win more slams, and her shrinking belly perhaps shows that she is serious, even if results are not yet following. The loss to Cirstea was nothing to be ashamed of, IMO. As for the loss to Caro, who knows. The report from most who watched the match was that Petra didn't play badly. I was disappointed, but I'm happy to keep hoping and remain a dedicated Petra fan.

"I really have friends on the tour, and I'm really happy for it. ...I remember when I was young and someone told my father that I'm too nice for tennis. So I'm just glad that I can be nice off the court and fighting on the court." — Petra Kvitova, May 8, 2005

P. Kvitova def. S. Williams 6-2, 6-3
mac47 is offline  
post #289 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Is this the lowest point of Petra's career so far?

In some ways I want Petra to lose against the lesser Radanska, she needs a real shock, a wake up call. Serena had it, when she lost in the first round of the French open, said she didn't leave the house for two days but look how she came back.

I want this to happen to Petra, she needs a really bad loss, one where she can't use one of her lame excuses. One where she can't do a little shopping and all her problems disappear.

Lisicki posted a message after her loss saying how she needs more matches, needs to cut out silly errors etc. What do we get from Petra after a loss, a picture of her shopping for clothes and no mention of anything she thinks she needs a to work on.

I've not followed her for long really, has she 'ever' admitted she needs to work on any part of her game? Or is she always living in cloud cuckoo land?
Petra was more honest and competitive in 2011. And as the 2012 season progressed, and she starting losing in semifinals in majors (especially to Sharapova), the confidence started to deteriorate.

Ironically, her team (Coach Kotyza) was usually honest. However, it was usually in an embarrassing way. Pure "Keystone Cops" material. They made numerous tactical (2012 Australian vs Sharapova) , training (Dec 2011 Czech Extraliga injury) and recuperation (caught a virus in cold as Czech Republic, instead of being in warm weather climate in January/February) efforts through out 2012, which set Petra off on the WRONG foot, and probably made her more gun shy in being honest. It was literally, "the gang that couldn't shoot straight".

Now her confidence, and confusion factor are so high, I don't think you'll get the truth from Petra in a while, unless it's in a pitiful or embarrassing fashion, like the sleep excuse the other day. Petra's not acting like a Grand Slam, Young Future/Current Champion as the months and years progress. So who knows where her mind set is? But yes, she was more solid and straightforward in 2011 when she was winning and had confidence. Now she has to learn how to handle adversity, fight (and not just say it), and improve (to really do, and want it).

Hopefully, that starts soon? And she turns it around. However, it's going to take her. Because I have no confidence in the team that she has to do it for her.

We'll see?
Excelscior is offline  
post #290 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Balveda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,940
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
First, what's this "secured 8 seed by skin of teeth" news? Is this her projected USO seeding? Where's the discussion and analysis?

Second, I'm tired of the doom and gloom. I don't care about her results in Cincy and Canada. I do like the fact that she is looking fitter. Ultimately, that's what will help. Petra is a top ten fixture, and even if she falls out of the top ten briefly this year, she will easily regain her spot at the beginning of next year.

Third, it occurs to me as I watch her old 2011 matches that her limbs are considerably more solid now than they were back then. She has possible grown a bit, and has put on muscle in her legs and arms. Yes, she's not yet quite as lean as in 2011 either, but her body doesn't put fat on her legs anyway. If you compare 2013 Petra's build to 2011, you'll see what I mean. I think some really great things could happen as she gets fitter. Those 2011 results happened mostly because of her fitness improvement. Mentality and execution followed. That is just the way it goes. (It's also why Vika is IMO doomed unless she turns her own fitness around.)

I have got used to the roller coaster by now, and I think Petra can have another 2011 year next year if her fitness continues on this new trajectory. She is too talented a player not to win more slams, and her shrinking belly perhaps shows that she is serious, even if results are not yet following. The loss to Cirstea was nothing to be ashamed of, IMO. As for the loss to Caro, who knows. The report from most who watched the match was that Petra didn't play badly. I was disappointed, but I'm happy to keep hoping and remain a dedicated Petra fan.
Nice post, getting fitter is one of the positives... who knows, she could have a good run at the US Open.

She does need to be more mentally strong though, her 40-15 and getting broke problem reminds me of Andy Murray a little over a year ago, he, like Petra would get complacent, take his foot off the gas and get punished for it.

Look at where Andy Murray is now, if he can do it, Petra can do it. Only problem here is Andy has Lendil as coach... what does Petra have?

Simona [13] - Kasatkina
Aga [18] - Beck [2] - Kvitova [17]
Cetkovska - Bencic [2] - Gasparyan [1] - Cîrstea [1]
Balveda is online now  
post #291 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
ShiftyFella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,595
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Is this the lowest point of Petra's career so far?

In some ways I want Petra to lose against the lesser Radanska, she needs a real shock, a wake up call. Serena had it, when she lost in the first round of the French open, said she didn't leave the house for two days but look how she came back.

I want this to happen to Petra, she needs a really bad loss, one where she can't use one of her lame excuses. One where she can't do a little shopping and all her problems disappear.

Lisicki posted a message after her loss saying how she needs more matches, needs to cut out silly errors etc. What do we get from Petra after a loss, a picture of her shopping for clothes and no mention of anything she thinks she needs a to work on.
Petra had tons of bad loses this season vs Flopson at AO, vs MaKiri at IW, vs Vinci at Katowice where she just threw hands up after one close and competitive set basically tanking next set, tho credit to Robby she played amazing all week and deserved that title then was her loss to Dani at Madrid or vs Sam at Rome, vs James Lee at RG, Razzano at SD, Sori at Toronto or Caro at Mason. Loosing to Ulanska won't change anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
First, what's this "secured 8 seed by skin of teeth" news? Is this her projected USO seeding? Where's the discussion and analysis?
It wasn't news, Petra got her #8 seed by virtue of Marion retirement, if JJ didn't flopped and reached final Petra would be seeded 9 but JJ flopped to Shaza


Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
Petra is a top ten fixture, and even if she falls out of the top ten briefly this year, she will easily regain her spot at the beginning of next year.
She doesn't have to drop out of Top10, she's very close and can maintain her Top10 after USO if she plays decent tennis and doesn't flop in early rounds and if she wants to make it to YEC she needs to go deep at big events because Hyphens and Vinci are very close and they been better at big events this year. Here how ranking looks like with dropped USO\New Haven\Dallas points

8. Wozz 3485
9. Kerber 3140
10. JJ 2965
11. Kvitova 2810
12. Flipkens 2801
12. Stosur 2710
14. Stephens 2646

For Tha Emprah!
Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is offline  
post #292 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

PS: An out of shape, and flawed Vika, bull shittted her way to a final vs a flawed and slightly injured Serena.

This is why I never buy that, "Petra's conditioning" excuse, so many people like to bandy about. That's just what people like to say, cause they see her stomach all the time (though she's really as slim girl to begin with, and has little stomach in person).

Champions, have a strong enough mentality. So they can bull shit and will themselves to wins, in matches that they should/could have lost multiples of times.

Both Serena and (the much more attainable--for Petra) Azarenka, played crappy matches yesterday (and through out the tournament, especially for Azarenka) they both could have lost. However, they both won. Why? Cause they know how to win ugly. Sharapova does to for that matter.

That should be a lesson to all of us. That Petra's not going to just turn into the 2011 version overnight if she's fitter (though you would like to believe, the hard work would mean she's more committed). Petra should be a fighter all the time, and not just cause she can't bully you off the court, and/or win when she wants to; cause the opposition puts up a tough fight.
Excelscior is offline  
post #293 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Balveda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 13,940
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
PS: An out of shape, and flawed Vika, bull shittted her way to a final vs a flawed and slightly injured Serena.

This is why I never buy that, "Petra's conditioning" excuse, so many people like to bandy about. That's just what people like to say, cause they see her stomach all the time (though she's really as slim girl to begin with, and has little stomach in person).

Champions, have a strong enough mentality. So they can bull shit and will themselves to wins, in matches that they should/could have lost multiples of times.

Both Serena and (the much more attainable--for Petra) Azarenka, played crappy matches yesterday (and through out the tournament, especially for Azarenka) they both could have lost. However, they both won.

That should be a lesson to all of us. That Petra's not going to just turn into the 2011 version overnight if she's fitter (though you would like to believe, the hard work would mean she's more committed). Petra should be a fighter all the time, and not just cause she can't bully you off the court, and/or win when she wants to; cause the opposition puts up a tough fight.
Agree with all that, Azarenka has made 2 finals on 50% autopilot. Petra should study how these players cope mentally and win no matter what.

Simona [13] - Kasatkina
Aga [18] - Beck [2] - Kvitova [17]
Cetkovska - Bencic [2] - Gasparyan [1] - Cîrstea [1]
Balveda is online now  
post #294 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusinfurs View Post
Agree with all that, Azarenka has made 2 finals on 50% autopilot. Petra should study how these players cope mentally and win no matter what.
Study other players (unless scouting for an upcoming match)!!

I'm not even sure Petra studies enough tape of herself, and her matches (and I damn sure don't think Kotyza breaks it down for) on a regular basis.

At least, these are the sentiments I've heard coming from Kotyza with Petra's "tailored" training, practice regimen in the past. Haven't heard them getting any better, or different (despite her current deterioration and alleged desperation).

You really couldn't believe how "un-world class" her team is (especially compared to the other top 4 players), if you really paid attention/listened to, what they do and don't do.

Its' an utter shame/embarrassment!!
Excelscior is offline  
post #295 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

@Venusinfurs

PS: I've seen Serena win matches (in 2012), when she was obviously out of shape, or tennis rhythm, coming back from her Pulmonary Embolism. She just bullshitted her way through early round victories, when she was obviously out of breath or answers. But she adjusted/coped.

You still had to play well, and believe in yourself to beat her (like Bartoli at Wimbledon, or Makarova, at the Australian Open did). Players just weren't going to beat her, cause she was out of form, making mistakes, and appeared confused. Serena fought, strategized, intimidated, and willed her way through most of the scrubs, and scared players. So good for her!

Vika and Sharapova do this to a similar/lesser degree as well (though I think in reality, they're both punks and bullies, compared to Serena). More power to them as well!

You're right. Petra can learn from this/them indeed.

Last edited by Excelscior; Aug 18th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Excelscior is offline  
post #296 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
paulmara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,067
                     
Re: Lucky Petra secured 8 seed by skin of her teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
First, what's this "secured 8 seed by skin of teeth" news? Is this her projected USO seeding? Where's the discussion and analysis?
Soon it will be over
paulmara is offline  
post #297 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Deestruction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,254
                     
Re: Petra lost to Caroline in Cincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan. View Post
I'm boy
I knew that.
Deestruction is offline  
post #298 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
ShiftyFella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,595
                     
Re: Petra in New Haven, Ula in Poland

Petra on being defending champ at NHO and Marion's retirement and her asthma

Quote:
Defending Champ @Petra_Kvitova says asthma meds helping in US. Blames humidity more than air

For Tha Emprah!
Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is offline  
post #299 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Trey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,156
                     
Re: Petra in New Haven, Ula in Poland

The Full Draw too New Haven with the Qualifiers place

I don't know anything about Elina Svitolina gamestyle but GM been talking about her alot lately has anyone ever seen her play ?

(7)Lisicki v Mladenovic
Pavlyuchenkova v Cirstea
Karin Knapp v Elina Svitolina
Radwanska v (3)Kvitova

S. Williams (21) ♦ V. Williams (7) ♦ Vika (2) ♦ Kvitová (2) ♦ Kerber (1) ♦ Muguruza (1) ♦ Ivanovic (1) ♦
C. Wozniacki ♦ A. Radwanska ♦ S. Halep ♦ B. Bencic ♦ S. Stephens ♦ M. Keys ♦ Domi Cibulkova ♦ G. Bouchard ♦ L. Robson ♦ N. Osaka ♦ J. Ostapenko ♦ A. Konjuh ♦ D. Vekic ♦ M. Puig ♦ V. Duval ♦ T. Townsend ♦ L. Chirico ♦ F. Abanda ♦ S. Samir ♦ F. Stollár ♦ T. Andrianjafitrimo
Trey is offline  
post #300 of 470 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ShiftyFella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,595
                     
Re: Petra in New Haven, Ula in Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
The Full Draw too New Haven with the Qualifiers place

I don't know anything about Elina Svitolina gamestyle but GM been talking about her alot lately has anyone ever seen her play ?

(7)Lisicki v Mladenovic
Pavlyuchenkova v Cirstea
Karin Knapp v Elina Svitolina
Radwanska v (3)Kvitova
Elina is great but nothing to worry about, this section of the draw is complete mess and gathering of all headcases at the tournament, it's like they arranged everyone by playing styles factoring headcasesness potential

For Tha Emprah!
Treachery is a virus
ShiftyFella is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome