Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012 (1 match and a withdrawal) - Page 8 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 150
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Now Petra should make it to Semis.
bharatkt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #107 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,354
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

the best draw imaginable
TimeyWimey is offline  
post #108 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 03:25 AM
Senior Member
 
mac47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,545
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

ABP, please.

I have great fear that a rusty, out of form Petra will crown her season of disappointment in the worst way. Hope I'm wrong,

"I really have friends on the tour, and I'm really happy for it. ...I remember when I was young and someone told my father that I'm too nice for tennis. So I'm just glad that I can be nice off the court and fighting on the court." Petra Kvitova, May 8, 2005

P. Kvitova def. S. Williams 6-2, 6-3
mac47 is offline  
post #109 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Queen Petra Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 697
                     
Thumbs up Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

For Petra's fans in CZ:

Eurosport 1 is replaying last year's YEC final at 15:00 and 18:15 today.

And, starts their 2012 coverage at 16:00 tomorrow.


GOOD LUCK PETRA!!!
Queen Petra Fan is offline  
post #110 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,877
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
I have great fear that a rusty, out of form Petra will crown her season of disappointment in the worst way. Hope I'm wrong,
Yeah,I've already made a persistent case for adequate rest,but there's a difference between recuperative down time and extended inactivity.Vikapower could probably give us some stats on Petra's longest matchless,or NEAR-matchless,stretches...and I wonder how often she has played well at a big event following a long lull....My guess is,'Not Often'

WTA suffering from Dementieva withdrawal, a lack of true queens

Congrats on Number Three, Kim! We need more of you in this world

Monica Puig, Guapa Teniista Numero Uno de las chicas latinas
bruce goose is offline  
post #111 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 06:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,354
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
ABP, please.

I have great fear that a rusty, out of form Petra will crown her season of disappointment in the worst way. Hope I'm wrong,
nein, at least she still has Fed Cup
TimeyWimey is offline  
post #112 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
paulmara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,471
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Tomorrow's #WTAChamps OOP starting 5 pm local (10 am EST)

Aga Radwanska vs @Petra_Kvitova
@SerenaWilliams vs @AngeliqueKerber
Maria Sharapova vs Sara Errani
paulmara is offline  
post #113 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,747
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

For Czech speakers or google translate users, David Kotyza's take on each of the 7 remaining YEC participants:

http://sport.idnes.cz/kvitova-pred-t...11049_tenis_ma
Petronius is offline  
post #114 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Yeah,I've already made a persistent case for adequate rest,but there's a difference between recuperative down time and extended inactivity.Vikapower could probably give us some stats on Petra's longest matchless,or NEAR-matchless,stretches...and I wonder how often she has played well at a big event following a long lull....My guess is,'Not Often'
There's so many co-mitigating factors going into this one, and no one knows Petra's PSYCHE, mind you FORM at this stage (Is she just happy to be there, is she intimidated by being defending champion or Serena and Masha, is she tired of being a bridesmaid at the biggest events, is she so relaxed--she'll play well--if in form, did those Junior Boys or Istanbul practices really help, etc.)?

Yes she played well in her first HC tournament in North America. But let's be honest, she had one ugly ass first match--that she should have lost--before she pulled it out and started to play well in her third match. Needless to say, she can't afford any early match stinkers here (because even Radwanksa and Errani could take advantage--if she did, unless Petra's serving incredibly well, they suck, and/or or Petra's incredibly lucky).

The irony is, Petra's tennis--was so beautiful there last year (Istanbul/YEC)--compared to anything she has played this year (the You Tube highlights and matches emphatically confirm this to non-believers). But who the hell knows what to expect from her now indeed.

Last edited by Excelscior; Oct 22nd, 2012 at 03:52 PM.
Excelscior is offline  
post #115 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 26,958
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
There's so many co-mitigating factors going into this one, and no one knows Petra's PSYCHE, mind you FORM at this stage (Is she just happy to be there, is she intimated by being defending champion or Serena and Masha, is she tired of being a bridesmaid at the biggest events, is she so relaxed--she'll play well--if in form, did those Junior Boys or Istanbul practices really help, etc.)?
I was thinking much the same. Plus she's one of only two players there who've had a disappointing year. How she leverages that mentally will be another factor.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #116 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
ShiftyFella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,617
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
There's so many co-mitigating factors going into this one, and no one knows Petra's PSYCHE, mind you FORM at this stage (Is she just happy to be there, is she intimated by being defending champion or Serena and Masha, is she tired of being a bridesmaid at the biggest events, is she so relaxed--she'll play well--if in form, did those Junior Boys or Istanbul practices really help, etc.)?

Yes she played well in her first HC tournament in North America. But let's be honest, she had one ugly ass first match--that she should have lost--before she pulled it out and started to play well in her third match. Needless to say, she can't afford any early match stinkers here (because even Radwanksa and Errani could take advantage--if she did, unless Petra's serving incredibly well, they suck, and/or or Petra's incredibly lucky).

The irony is, Petra's tennis--was so beautiful there last year (Istanbul/YEC)--compared to anything she has played this year (the You Tube highlights and matches emphatically confirm this to non-believers). But who the hell knows what to expect from her now indeed.
I have to disagree. Today i cleared my mind from any prejudgment and re-watched Wimbeldon and Montreal from 2012 and YEC final from 2011(just finished watching it on ES) plus some highlights from different matchups. Petra looked different to me but it was more about her attitude not the game or lack of fitness. Serve % and W\UE ratio actually looked sometimes better this year than last, yes Petra was missing alot of shots close to the lines that she didn't miss last year and played with little less variety in her game, all of this was because of her slower movement. If we didn't focus only on her 2011 game you can see that this year she played with different strategy, i think new strategy was in place to compensate her lack of fitness. All of this for me just little things that always would be different from tournament to tournament. What stood out is absence of fire in her eyes and amnesia for errors, at times she looked like Sanchez i.e letting silly mistakes to throw her rhythm off. Last year at YEC she looked mentally on from start to finish, like she already won the math before it even started. In Montreal she looked bothered and without fire in her eyes only in the middle of the 3rd set she looked like she really wanted to win this but before that only glimpses of her GOAT attitude. My blind believe in Petra and her game on indoor hard didn't go away but i'm genuinely concerned now about her attitude, i hope she's rock solid in mental department and focused only on winning and not letting silly mistakes get in her head.


btw, what really surprised me is how more better, rock solid and hungry Vika became but at the same time she is more impatient now. If they actually meet i'm not sure Petra can win it
ShiftyFella is offline  
post #117 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,354
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
I was thinking much the same. Plus she's one of only two players there who've had a disappointing year. How she leverages that mentally will be another factor.
now i would not say disappointing, but unfortunate

the sad situation this year, even her breakthrough in NA comes when none of current top 3 participates actively, to me, it probably has nothing (or very llittle) to do with Petra or her team, but the sheer dominance of top 3

when Berdych was interviewed in the summer on the perspective for the coming US Open, he said that "despite his best efforts and from some other players, men's tennis' "Big 4" has separated itself from the pack." and i honestly believe Petra would share his thought

i think she's made every effort fighting until losing to Serena in Wimbledon, then she most likely realized 2012 would not be her year

by no means it is complacency or giving up

on the other hand, she captured two titles and a SF in the absence of top 3

putting all the "what-ifs" aside

6 out of 8 GS finalist, 7 out of 8 PM finalist, this is scary
TimeyWimey is offline  
post #118 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
ShiftyFella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 13,617
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
For Czech speakers or google translate users, David Kotyza's take on each of the 7 remaining YEC participants:

http://sport.idnes.cz/kvitova-pred-t...11049_tenis_ma
I like that Kotyza didn't put pressure on Petra to defend YEC title, also i have to agree with him that last year was dream and this reality and it wasn't that bad but still disappointing. I'm angry that he didn't recognizes 2011 as benchmark moving forward or he just not saying it. His take on players is disappointment, i thought he was talking about matchups and how Petra would fair against them not some mambo-jumbo, though giving sugar to Li Na is funny.
ShiftyFella is offline  
post #119 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyFella View Post
I have to disagree. Today i cleared my mind from any prejudgment and re-watched Wimbeldon and Montreal from 2012 and YEC final from 2011(just finished watching it on ES) plus some highlights from different matchups. Petra looked different to me but it was more about her attitude not the game or lack of fitness. Serve % and W\UE ratio actually looked sometimes better this year than last, yes Petra was missing alot of shots close to the lines that she didn't miss last year and played with little less variety in her game, all of this was because of her slower movement. If we didn't focus only on her 2011 game you can see that this year she played with different strategy, i think new strategy was in place to compensate her lack of fitness. All of this for me just little things that always would be different from tournament to tournament. What stood out is absence of fire in her eyes and amnesia for errors, at times she looked like Sanchez i.e letting silly mistakes to throw her rhythm off. Last year at YEC she looked mentally on from start to finish, like she already won the math before it even started. In Montreal she looked bothered and without fire in her eyes only in the middle of the 3rd set she looked like she really wanted to win this but before that only glimpses of her GOAT attitude. My blind believe in Petra and her game on indoor hard didn't go away but i'm genuinely concerned now about her attitude, i hope she's rock solid in mental department and focused only on winning and not letting silly mistakes get in her head.


btw, what really surprised me is how more better, rock solid and hungry Vika became but at the same time she is more impatient now. If they actually meet i'm not sure Petra can win it
I think you're essentially agreeing with me (just in a different way, and you didn't realize it).

Yes, Petra had great confidence and fire last year during tournaments. She certainly moved better in 2011 (though she did come close in Montreal and parts of Cincy). Agreed.

However, that affects your overall game.

What I noticed (that you called confidence), was Petra had a clarity and decisiveness in her game, that she just didn't have in 2012. Yes!

That clarity and bounce in her step, made Petra serve, returns, ROS, groundies, movement, volley, and changes of pace--hit with confidence and control.

I think the under-mentioned Sydney fold-a-roo to Na, was an early indicator. And obviously the loss, and gazillion missed BP's against Sharapova (which most people point to first), wrote 2011's early demise--I think--in Petra's mind. She probably felt, 'things just weren't going to be the same, as easy, or a carry over from 2011'.

Now, did this lack of confidence, come from (besides her close losses to Masha) lack of fitness, practice/feel, who knows/probably? Cause, despite that, Petra still had opportunities, to win in 2012, even if she wasn't in her best form. That's a heart of a champion.

Let's be honest , Petra folded up her tent and when home, when serving that last game against Masha at the Australian Open.

Petra mentally checked out. It's almost like she thought things were going to be easier for her in 2012, and when they weren't, she didn't know what to do.

Hopefully, she's learned her lesson, will be in top shape, have less misfortune, and re-acquire all or more of her lost confidence and form. If not, it may be another bumpy ride--guys. Lol.

Last edited by Excelscior; Oct 22nd, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Excelscior is offline  
post #120 of 226 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,018
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova's YEC 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
ABP, please.

I have great fear that a rusty, out of form Petra will crown her season of disappointment in the worst way. Hope I'm wrong,
Same
PetraReeMona is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome