Does Kvitova really want it? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,227
                     
Does Kvitova really want it?

I mean really. Based on what seems to be increasing belly fat and a halfhearted approach to getting in tip-top condition, I think she doesn't. Sure she'd like it and she's genuinely putting effort into it, but I think the intensity of her drive isn't that high. IMO the main reason she won Wimbledon and the YEC is the natural talent in her game.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,227
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
I do like Petra, idolizing I do not know but what I know is your argument "Petra is unfit" from a simple belly doesn't find echo
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
mikireturns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Eliteville, California
Posts: 4,263
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.
mikireturns is offline  
 
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
This is the same argument we had about Seles, 10-15 years ago, after she came back from the stabbing with a paunchy belly.

Seles never reached that "fitness finish-line" that would have allowed her to dominate the tour again, and she admitted as much (finally) after she retired.

Petra does not fuel her body with food for the same reasons Seles did. Seles was a tall girl who needed a lot to eat just to fuel her training, but she also used food as an emotional tool to solve her problems.

Petra is just an Amazon. Simply in terms of on-court tennis drills ALONE, a girl that tall and big gets hungry. The body screams for fuel.

She has been working lately to solve this particular fitness discrepancy and I daresay she will solve it. I think anyone can look @ Petra Kvitova's demeanor and say: "This girl DEFINITELY wants it."

I consider her the person who SHOULD be No. 1. Unbelievable talent.
Nice post.

Plus, anyone that's seen Petra 3 yrs ago, compared to now (or read her coaches comments about her desire and openness, when they first met to discuss her tennis future), would highly question the "she doesn't want it enough" premise.

But that's just my two cents (and response to your post). Not looking for a debate or argument from anyone.
Excelscior is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Vikapower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,426
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
Apparently you don't know my "argument". It's that "in order to maximize her potential, Kvitova needs to get in tip-top shape." Unfit is relative. We're talking pro-sports here, not just general fitness. The fact is she's not in the best shape she can be. Sure, she has enough natural talent to be very successful without being in peak condition. That's obvious. And yes, of course core conditioning is only one aspect of fitness but it's a very important part. A lot of other things in sporting performance are tied into it. Plus a belly (apple shape, whatever) almost always indicates excessive body fat.
You just enunciated what Petra had been doing the last few month(s)/week(s) etc. which is physical conditioning right, no ? -- probably you have understood that this not specifically related to fitness but need something to rock your boat.

Your arguments sole turns around a belly to make a general statement of XXX order -- like I said you're using the wrong observations that make you draw the wrong conclusions or probably you're doing this on purpose.

From a general stand-point she's fit -- IK her ITW's etc. where she talks about all that (fitness etc.) and took a romantic tour with boy-friend in Turkey to deal with these etc. but my only issue is your faculty to use one aspect and over-amplify it to draw conclusions who tend to be false --

Her "so called" belly doesn't affect her overall fitness that much IMo, so as having a small belly doesn't mean a player is unfit, there are too many parameters for you to come up with such only from here and there pictures --

As for the rest, I'll leave you out with the "general theories", e.g., player needs to be fit to compete at high level etc. which anyways are just sugarcoating from pure evidence to bring agreement even if in the base they are right.

Genie - Victoria - Kristina.
Vikapower is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
Senior Member
 
mac47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,558
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.

"I really have friends on the tour, and I'm really happy for it. ...I remember when I was young and someone told my father that I'm too nice for tennis. So I'm just glad that I can be nice off the court and fighting on the court." — Petra Kvitova, May 8, 2005

P. Kvitova def. S. Williams 6-2, 6-3
mac47 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac47 View Post
You guys should not have dignified this asinine thread with a response. This girl jumped 40 places and snatched all kinds of wigs last year... why? Because of improved fitness and training.

Losing the belly bulge should be her last priority. Her focus should be on eliminating mental lapses in second sets, figuring out what her problem is with North American hardcourts, and improving her stamina. If the belly disappears as a result of the conditioning training, then fine. But it isn't keeping her from winning matches right now IMO.
I agree with everything you said about Petra's priorities and what she should work on Mac.

My one quibble (unless you meant for this year; post injuries/layoff, or just in general), is that Petra had no problem with Stamina what so ever last year; both in matches and during the long year.

Of course, I agree all players (including Petra) should strive to have better/more stamina, if there's room to do so, as long as it improves their tennis (a player like Caro for example, wouldn't be helped anymore. She needs to work on her actual tennis). Lol.

One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.

Can't fault Petra for that (losing weight at the expense of her stomach), if it doesn't affect or improve her tennis game, over other more pertinent priorities. She's come so far (the last 2-3 yrs), while having so much more to go, the next 1-3 yrs, and there after.

Good Luck/Go Petra.
Excelscior is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 141
 
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post

One thing I noticed about her stomach today; it appears that she's losing weight, but her stomach isn't, so it looks bigger (plus it goes in and out/up and down, maybe for this and other reasons). So this all has to be kept in perspective (along with the fact, if/when you're not playing up to expectations, people will point out anything). I know this was always a Pet Peeve of POV from day one though. Lol.
It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.
naranka is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:06 AM
Senior Member
 
mac47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,558
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

True that Petra had no problems with stamina last year, but she has had some this year, especially in the loss to McHale.

"I really have friends on the tour, and I'm really happy for it. ...I remember when I was young and someone told my father that I'm too nice for tennis. So I'm just glad that I can be nice off the court and fighting on the court." — Petra Kvitova, May 8, 2005

P. Kvitova def. S. Williams 6-2, 6-3
mac47 is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Young 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,190
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud
Young 8 is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 8 View Post
Her belly is exploding, Pavlyuchenkova would be proud
Are you trolling? Cause I'm not sure what you were looking at in the match.

Petra looked fine and quite svelte.
Excelscior is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,227
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Are you trolling? Cause I'm not sure what you were looking at in the match.

Petra looked fine and quite svelte.
You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 29,227
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naranka View Post
It's not a pet peeve, it's a fetish.
You poor twisted sod.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
You keep going there. This has been done to death. Still . . . are you joking? Svelte? She has her usual little beer belly. No big deal but it's there. Right now there's other stuff to be concerned with. Like her mental focus.
I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head.

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course).

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).
Excelscior is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Queen Petra Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 697
                     
Thumbs down Re: Does Kvitova really want it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I guess you're so blinded by your obsession, that you don't see a troll and/or an arbitrary post if it hit you over the head.

That post was so silly, it can't even be taken seriously, (except by you of course).

Move on with the stomach talk (especially for this/over this match).
Fuck her stomach! What about her focus and preparation? Petra's game is in the tank at the moment.
Queen Petra Fan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome