Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 87 - TennisForum.com

 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1291 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
paulmara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,206
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

WTA this week: Language lessons with Petra Kvitova
by Bobby Chintapalli

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
paulmara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1292 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,493
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
WTA this week: Language lessons with Petra Kvitova
by Bobby Chintapalli

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
Cute article, thanks.
Petronius is offline  
post #1293 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Member
 
steni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,831
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
WTA this week: Language lessons with Petra Kvitova
by Bobby Chintapalli

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
Thank you! Btw do you have some info about Petra's whereabouts?
steni is offline  
post #1294 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,018
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Thank you! Btw do you have some info about Petra's whereabouts?


PetraReeMona is offline  
post #1295 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
WTA this week: Language lessons with Petra Kvitova
by Bobby Chintapalli

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1...iewMode=single
Very good article by Bobby.

And I truly enjoyed the English discussion. But to be quite honest, I would have loved to hear/learn more about Petra's tennis.

I'm starting to wonder if they really have a definitive plan or concerted outlook.

Nonetheless, a couple of WTF and sublime Petra moments/quotes:

Quote:
Coincidentally or not she made most progress in the tennis and English departments in the same North American city: "When we were in Montreal I had to speak in English with Katie for one week, because I didn't have my coach there. So that helped a lot."
Did it really take Petra that long to figure out, if she had an English speaking person on her team, she would learn English better, faster and be more comfortable with it?

Bobby adds this quote below:

Quote:
Like other non-native English speakers Kvitova might omit "the" where it's commonly used or insert it where it's not. Often the Czech city where she trains is "the Prostejov." Sometimes Serena Williams is – charmingly and perhaps fittingly – "the Serena."
We have all heard Petra do this, and I'm glad that Bobby notices that Petra's so charming as well.

I find it cute, that Petra's learning idiomatic expressions as well (though if it was me, I'd like them to come more naturally, than to learn it).
Excelscior is offline  
post #1296 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
steni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,831
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post


poor Petra!
steni is offline  
post #1297 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,493
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
But to be quite honest, I would have loved to hear/learn more about Petra's tennis.

I'm starting to wonder if they really have a definitive plan or concerted outlook.
I think they won't make any big changes until after YEC and Fed Cup. They will then sit down and make an assessment of the season and make some definite plans for 2013. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're already looking for a fitness coach. He'll be needed during the Nov/Dec fitness camp.
Petronius is offline  
post #1298 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,493
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I find it cute, that Petra's learning idiomatic expressions as well (though if it was me, I'd like them to come more naturally, than to learn it).
LOL, to be honest learning all English idioms is almost impossible for a non-native speaker. I've been learning English for 20+ years and I sometimes still have to look up expressions like 'chip on one's shoulder' or words like 'cougar' or 'MILF'

Luckily, the Internet is packed with urban dictionaries of various sorts.
Petronius is offline  
post #1299 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
LOL, to be honest learning all English idioms is almost impossible for a non-native speaker. I've been learning English for 20+ years and I sometimes still have to look up expressions like 'chip on one's shoulder' or words like 'cougar' or 'MILF'

Luckily, the Internet is packed with urban dictionaries of various sorts.
It's so true.

You have to learn those things organically, hear them a lot, or look them up-like you did/ask when they come across.
Excelscior is offline  
post #1300 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I think they won't make any big changes until after YEC and Fed Cup. They will then sit down and make an assessment of the season and make some definite plans for 2013. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they're already looking for a fitness coach. He'll be needed during the Nov/Dec fitness camp.
I don't disagree with you. But what are the plans (of course I didn't expect Petra to tell Bobby this) for Petra at the YEC?

I understand she doesn't know who she's going to play yet. But what elements of her game is she going to concentrate and work on, while not knowing who she's playing?
Excelscior is offline  
post #1301 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,493
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I don't disagree with you. But what are the plans (of course I didn't expect Petra to tell Bobby this) for Petra at the YEC?

I understand she doesn't know who she's going to play yet. But what elements of her game is she going to concentrate and work on, while not knowing who she's playing?
If there's any Q&A before YEC, I'll try to ask a few questions. That's the most I can do.
Petronius is offline  
post #1302 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 25,826
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
LOL, to be honest learning all English idioms is almost impossible for a non-native speaker. I've been learning English for 20+ years and I sometimes still have to look up expressions like 'chip on one's shoulder' or words like 'cougar' or 'MILF'
That's no knock on you. The words you mention have nothing to do with not being a native speaker or - for that matter - with knowing the English language. Many native speakers don't know "cougar" and "MILF" That's pop culture stuff.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #1303 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 04:56 PM
country flag pov
Senior Member
 
pov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 25,826
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
"Now I am not that nervous when I am in the press conference room."
It would be amusing, but not surprising to me, if her supposed shyness was mostly because of not knowing English well.

Mulder: "So you're agreeing with me?"
Scully "No! You're bat-crap crazy."


Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline  
post #1304 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,493
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
That's no knock on you. The words you mention have nothing to do with not being a native speaker or - for that matter - with knowing the English language. Many native speakers don't know "cougar" and "MILF" That's pop culture stuff.
Thanks. Not that native speakers make it always easy for foreign learners though.

I used to play chess through a U.K.-based website and if you won they said 'You have won.', but if you lost they said just 'You lost'. So if someone wanted to learn the difference between present perfect and past simple, this British site would leave them even more confused
Petronius is offline  
post #1305 of 3354 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,760
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
It would be amusing, but not surprising to me, if her supposed shyness was mostly because of not knowing English well.
You got it.

She's a chatterbox normally-when speaking Czech. Couple that with the fact, she's been increasingly more charming and magnetic during her press conferences as well.

I wish her tennis play-this year, would have grown as confidently and comfortably as her English seemed to.
Excelscior is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome