Petra Kvitova News and Articles - Page 180 - TennisForum.com
 12Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2686 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Back in 5+ Minutes
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 26,101
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
Czech MP wants Petra to lose Czech citizenship because of tax evasion, what a genius

http://www.novinky.cz/domaci/341931-...vrdi-huml.html
Told you guys the Monaco thing would give her some bad press sooner or later, it happens to all successful athletes who move to Monaco or other tax-havens.
Jimmie48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2687 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 774
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

I would rather call it tax optimization than tax evasion as it is legal.

And personally, I don't find it immoral at all. No matter if Petra spends a dime or not in the Czech Rep. It is her right to be based in the Czech Rep, not an obligation.
outlier is offline  
post #2688 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 03:02 AM
Senior Member
 
steni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,838
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Didnt Berdych move there long ago? Why are they talking crap now?
steni is offline  
post #2689 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 542
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
I would rather call it tax optimization than tax evasion as it is legal.
We don't have an agreement with Monaco about the prevention of double taxation. Therefore, she is obliged to pay taxes in CR and yes, this is tax evasion. But it's beeing tolerated (for some sort of people).
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
And personally, I don't find it immoral at all. No matter if Petra spends a dime or not in the Czech Rep. It is her right to be based in the Czech Rep, not an obligation.
Yes, it is immoral. It didn't come from her head, it's Cernosek again. No matter where and how she spends her money. But she consumes public services (as any other citizen) and she is obliged to pay for them.

This is however ugly public discussion, especially now after her great success. And nothing is gonna change, too many "important" people do the same (and much worse).

Last edited by vendulkabendulka; Jul 11th, 2014 at 06:23 AM.
vendulkabendulka is offline  
post #2690 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 774
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Morality is (imo ) subjective matter. If something is in contradiction with the law, it doesn't have to be immoral. Taxing your income in Monaco is not necessarily illegal, de lege lata.

As for the public services she consumes without paying for them, can you be more particular? As far as I know she spends her millions in the Czech Rep, which is praiseworthy activity the tax collector should be grateful for. She employs dozen of Czechs and pays both social security and health insurance contributions, isn't she. For most of the year, she is abroad. Her income is generated (and taxed) abroad. Not to mention the representation she should be paid for.

Last edited by outlier; Jul 11th, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
outlier is offline  
post #2691 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 542
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
Taxing your income in Monaco is not necessarily illegal, de lege lata.
That's my point, there isn's any agreement between our countries and Monaco is not a member of EU. If you are willing to pay your taxes there - no problem, but you have to pay them in CR as any other Czech citizen, too. As simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlier View Post
As for the public services she consumes without paying for them, can you be more particular? As far as I know she spends her millions in the Czech Rep, which is praiseworthy activity the tax collector should be grateful for. She employs dozen of Czechs and pays both social security and health insurance contributions, isn't she. For most of the year, she is abroad. Her income is generated (and taxed) abroad. Not to mention the representation she should be paid for.
Public services that are beeing payed from out taxes. Police, road network, firemen etc.
I assume that she spends lots of money here, but that has nothing to do with collecting taxes. The question that collector asks is "Did you pay or not?" And Petra's answer would be "Y'know, I did have payed but to someone else, not the Czech government..". Do I need to continue?

Again, this is one of the major flaws that this country didn't solve yet since the revolution, because no politician has the balls to open the topic. I'm really sorry that its beeing opened right now together with Petra's name.
vendulkabendulka is offline  
post #2692 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Back in 5+ Minutes
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 26,101
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Personally, I have no issue with people who move to Monaco and actually live there, if you are from northern Europe it is a nice place to live and I can see the desire behind that, for those people the tax matters are just an (rather big) added bonus.

What is a much harder sell to the public is someone who just lives there on paper, and I'm afraid this applies to Petra. She's always very fond of the Czech Republic and very vocal about it and while that has always been charming and very telling about her personality, it kind of bites her in the behind with this matter now. Because it is a valid question, if you like to be at home so much and love the Czech Republic so much, why the heck do you claim to live in the Monaco?

I can see why it irritates some people, I can hardly recall any evidence of her living there. Whenever she posts something on social media it is her at home, talking about how she's back in the Czech Republic etc. So it is easy to see where people may get the impression that she is not actually living in Monaco. And if she isn't, the strongest defense as in "I don't care about the tax laws there, I just like it there" does not work in her favor anymore.

Tax evasion or avoidance is something that even the most popular athletes get criticized for. Back in the late 90s, Michael Schumacher was like a god in Germany, none of the media would ever dare to attack him aside from the fact that he did not pay his taxes in Germany. That always remained a controversial issue because it ticks many people off.

Anyways, looking in from the outside it seems that this change was brought on by Stepanek. When she was dating him it was the only time I can recall she ever posted a photo of herself in Monaco and that was the time her residence info with the WTA changed as well. I don't think it was a smart move for her, to be honest.
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #2693 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 774
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

There is consumption tax (e.g. VAT) imposed on goods and services. Hence, Petra spending millions means Petra paying for public services.

Jimmie48: I just don't see the point of double taxation. The prize money is being gathered abroad as it is being taxed abroad.
outlier is offline  
post #2694 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 13,794
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Hopefully, if the Czech media starts to hound Kvitova over tax issues etc., she retaliates by no longer wasting any more time with that Fed Cup nonsense.

Kvitova * Vaidisova * Garcia * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #2695 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 774
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
Hopefully, if the Czech media starts to hound Kvitova over tax issues etc., she retaliates by no longer wasting any more time with that Fed Cup nonsense.
I'm afraid this all will just stress her out, which will affect her game.
outlier is offline  
post #2696 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
*Jack*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,217
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by steni View Post
Didnt Berdych move there long ago? Why are they talking crap now?
Because Berdych didn't win Wombledon right now, she did. The guy who brought this up is a politician and politicians do everything to promote them self this time through other much more successful person.

Petra Kvitová * Tomáš Berdych * Lucie Šafářová * BZS * Angie Kerber
Karolína Plíšková * Andy Murray * Roger Federer * Tommy Haas
Radek Štěpánek * Leander Paes ** Andrea Hlaváčková & Lucie Hradecká
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline  
post #2697 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 8,542
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jack* View Post
Because Berdych didn't win Wombledon right now, she did. The guy who brought this up is a politician and politicians do everything to promote them self this time through other much more successful person.
TBH, I'm blaming the journalists. They just wanted a big story they could sell to the public. If they ignored that communist MP and his words, there wouldn't be any 'controversy' at all.

The timing of this is disgusting, really. The girl just did a great publicity for her country and wants to enjoy one or two weeks of well-deserved rest and the media are littered with this story. No doubt someone from her family or friends will read this and tell her

Very sad.
Petronius is offline  
post #2698 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
paulmara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 9,262
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

time to move to Monaco, Petra received first threatening call

http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/tri...policie-14615/

I received an Aztec wall of vision
paulmara is offline  
post #2699 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
*Jack*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Posts: 2,217
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmara View Post
time to move to Monaco, Petra received first threatening call

http://www.tenisportal.cz/zpravy/tri...policie-14615/
That's disgusting, I start to feel ashamed for reactions of some Czech people. Everybody else is congratulating to her and saying how well-deserved this title is and "we" just make our nation look like a bunch of idiots who don't deserve a champion like Petra.

Petra Kvitová * Tomáš Berdych * Lucie Šafářová * BZS * Angie Kerber
Karolína Plíšková * Andy Murray * Roger Federer * Tommy Haas
Radek Štěpánek * Leander Paes ** Andrea Hlaváčková & Lucie Hradecká
And other Czech Davis Cup and Fed Cup team members
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsbadwanska View Post
Sometimes is very hard to be Petra's fan.
*Jack* is offline  
post #2700 of 3355 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,798
                     
Re: Petra Kvitova News and Articles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendulkabendulka View Post
That's my point, there isn's any agreement between our countries and Monaco is not a member of EU. If you are willing to pay your taxes there - no problem, but you have to pay them in CR as any other Czech citizen, too. As simple as that.


Public services that are beeing payed from out taxes. Police, road network, firemen etc.
I assume that she spends lots of money here, but that has nothing to do with collecting taxes. The question that collector asks is "Did you pay or not?" And Petra's answer would be "Y'know, I did have payed but to someone else, not the Czech government..". Do I need to continue?

Again, this is one of the major flaws that this country didn't solve yet since the revolution, because no politician has the balls to open the topic. I'm really sorry that its beeing opened right now together with Petra's name.
Not that I claim to know Czech tax laws and politics.

However, I think what's being said is: Petra obviously pays sales tax, etc., in the Czech Republic. What she doesn't (or wouldn't pay) is Income tax, which is why they register in Monaco.

Whether, Berdych won Wimby or not. He's the countries most visible ATP player, and I never heard a peep out of anyone, and he's been registered there for years.

As crazy as it sounds. It's this type of thing, that would make Petra not want to win another major for the next three years (until she realized Na and Azarenka did, and she flops out again to someone like Flipkens, though she was apparently became ill in that match), and decides to finally win one again. Let's hope Petra really has Martina on speed dial, and took her advice (when she interviewed her on TC) THIS TIME by ignoring the press?


Hopefully (as Petra likes to say), she's much more ready for things like this now, and let's it roll off her sleeve.
Excelscior is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome