What tennis racquet do you use? - Page 25 - TennisForum.com
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #361 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payam View Post
I am curious about that new Dunlop racket, I have already ordered a 300 one series and will let you know how it is after it arrives.
awesome.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #362 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

hi guys my tennis racquet is like 15 years old, it's the wilson hammer 6.2....it's still pretty good to me but just wondering what does the latest racquets have to offer?

also got a few other questions, to string the racquet ,is it pretty simple task? I am in Taiwan and I don't know who is good or who is crappy. Is it easy to string racquets can I just find any shop and let them string my racquets? Do I need to ask some questions to see if they know what they are doing? and how do I know if they did a shitty job stringing my racquet. Last time I had it strung and some player said the tension is way too low.

Also what are some of the more popular strings nowadays? before I like to use prince synthetic gut but that was like 12 years ago.

had a broken string and I just left the racquet there for few years. Is it bad for the racquet? before I heard you should take out all the strings if you got a broken string, it's better for the racquet.

thanks guys for reading and your help
okaythen is offline  
post #363 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
hi guys my tennis racquet is like 15 years old, it's the wilson hammer 6.2....it's still pretty good to me but just wondering what does the latest racquets have to offer?

also got a few other questions, to string the racquet ,is it pretty simple task? I am in Taiwan and I don't know who is good or who is crappy. Is it easy to string racquets can I just find any shop and let them string my racquets? Do I need to ask some questions to see if they know what they are doing? and how do I know if they did a shitty job stringing my racquet. Last time I had it strung and some player said the tension is way too low.

Also what are some of the more popular strings nowadays? before I like to use prince synthetic gut but that was like 12 years ago.

had a broken string and I just left the racquet there for few years. Is it bad for the racquet? before I heard you should take out all the strings if you got a broken string, it's better for the racquet.

thanks guys for reading and your help

- Today's racquets offer much larger sweetspots at the same areas. So a 100 sq-inch yonex's sweetspot is much larger now than in a 10 year old model, same for the other brands.

- Today's racquets also have better torsion control and stability, so unless the model you're currently using has you totally pain free, you can always check out a racquet with the same specs but newer release.

- strings again are very dependent on your arm I guess. Idk if tennis warehouse ships to Taiwan, but they do have an excellent string guide, you should check it out.

- as long as there's no cracks or deficiencies in the structure of the frame it can definitely be restrung. but yeah never leave a racquet with snapped strings on the uneven tensions on the frame can warp it.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
 
post #364 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedRic View Post
- Today's racquets offer much larger sweetspots at the same areas. So a 100 sq-inch yonex's sweetspot is much larger now than in a 10 year old model, same for the other brands.

- Today's racquets also have better torsion control and stability, so unless the model you're currently using has you totally pain free, you can always check out a racquet with the same specs but newer release.

- strings again are very dependent on your arm I guess. Idk if tennis warehouse ships to Taiwan, but they do have an excellent string guide, you should check it out.

- as long as there's no cracks or deficiencies in the structure of the frame it can definitely be restrung. but yeah never leave a racquet with snapped strings on the uneven tensions on the frame can warp it.
wow thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to find out...so newer racquets the sweetspots are bigger....and less pain for your arms....very good to hear I should try out some newer racquets. anyone know if they got new releases for my racquets? or can recommend some similar ones. My racquets are wilson hammer 6.2. Slazenger pro-braided. and yonex rq-380. My stroke forms are pretty good I never had much pain actually....but definitely good to prevent pains and gain bigger sweetspots! just about how much larger sweetspots for the newer racquets? 10% , 20% bigger?

thanks again

Last edited by okaythen; Nov 11th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
okaythen is offline  
post #365 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
wow thanks a lot, that's exactly what I wanted to find out...so newer racquets the sweetspots are bigger....and less pain for your arms....very good to hear I should try out some newer racquets. anyone know if they got new releases for my racquets? or can recommend some similar ones. My racquets are wilson hammer 6.2. Slazenger pro-braided. and yonex rq-380. My stroke forms are pretty good I never had much pain actually....but definitely good to prevent pains and gain bigger sweetspots! just about how much larger sweetspots for the newer racquets? 10% , 20% bigger?

thanks again
what's the square inchage on your current models?

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
post #366 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 27
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedRic View Post
what's the square inchage on your current models?
I got one that's 95 and another that's 110.

so can any tennis shop string racquets is it a simple task to do? Can I just let any tennis shop string my racquet or I should find a reputable one?

thanks
okaythen is offline  
post #367 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Daebak.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 73,702
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Help me pick a racket. (sorry but I forgot the names)

The Yonex Ivanovic one or the Babolat Clijsters one. ??

Not sure... what i'm looking for is control, but also power.
Daebak. is online now  
post #368 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Senior Member
 
chingching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36,203
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindrance. View Post
Help me pick a racket. (sorry but I forgot the names)

The Yonex Ivanovic one or the Babolat Clijsters one. ??

Not sure... what i'm looking for is control, but also power.
Ivanovic one. I don't like the new Babolats

Estonian Mynx Nettu-GOAT + Lerka + Sonya + Katu + Kaia + Miley + Lissi + Carol

Guardian of the Norr, Slavic and Golden Flower Power GOATs

chingching is offline  
post #369 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Daebak.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 73,702
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Last time, it was a toss up with 2 head rackets for me, I chose one. But then I played with the Babolat one for a bit and really liked it, now I regret getting this racket. And I don't want to make the same mistake.
Daebak. is online now  
post #370 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
chingching's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36,203
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindrance. View Post
Last time, it was a toss up with 2 head rackets for me, I chose one. But then I played with the Babolat one for a bit and really liked it, now I regret getting this racket. And I don't want to make the same mistake.
Trial them first Most places let you do that Or buy through a club. They definitely will

Estonian Mynx Nettu-GOAT + Lerka + Sonya + Katu + Kaia + Miley + Lissi + Carol

Guardian of the Norr, Slavic and Golden Flower Power GOATs

chingching is offline  
post #371 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Daebak.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 73,702
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Yeh, TW has trials, thats how I played with it

I haven't tried the Yonex one though, was thinking of getting a new racket next year where they get new ones and the old ones go cheaper
Daebak. is online now  
post #372 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindrance. View Post
Help me pick a racket. (sorry but I forgot the names)

The Yonex Ivanovic one or the Babolat Clijsters one. ??

Not sure... what i'm looking for is control, but also power.
I like Yonex more than Babolat, for two reasons. (1) Babolat frames are stiff as fuck, so if you put on poly strings and have elbow problems you might as well shred your tendons. (2) I really like the isometric shape design on the yonex blades, i like that the sweetspot is more round and forgiving.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
post #373 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
I got one that's 95 and another that's 110.
so can any tennis shop string racquets is it a simple task to do? Can I just let any tennis shop string my racquet or I should find a reputable one?
thanks
Damn. That's a big range to play with, haha. Do you prefer one to the other? What's your game like?

Stringing should be done by an expert. A bad string job will make the world's best frame play like Shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
post #374 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Daebak.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 73,702
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedRic View Post
I like Yonex more than Babolat, for two reasons. (1) Babolat frames are stiff as fuck, so if you put on poly strings and have elbow problems you might as well shred your tendons. (2) I really like the isometric shape design on the yonex blades, i like that the sweetspot is more round and forgiving.
oh, I was going to put poly strings on.
Daebak. is online now  
post #375 of 582 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Rican In The Burgh
 
charmedRic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Yinzer Land
Posts: 37,680
                     
Re: What tennis racquet do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindrance. View Post
oh, I was going to put poly strings on.
not a big deal if you've never had tennis elbow. or if you're mechanics are correct.

TT Singles: 2014 SF: Bogota, New Braunfels. 2013 F: Las Vegas, SF: Orlando, Sibenik.
TT Doubles: 2014 W: Trnava w PinkTape. 2013 W: St Martin, Orlando, Sibenik, Charlottesville, Nantes-YEC all w Soliloque; Lexington w DJDVD.
charmedRic is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome