Tennis Forum banner

I hung out with former pro and World No, 33 Tara Snyder today

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Rising Sun 
#1 · (Edited)
The USTA Missouri Valley section hosted a block part during the Red Earth Native American Festival in Oklahoma City today. The focus of the event was to promote health and well being and how basketball and tennnis can help individuals achieve that. I helped recruit some volunteers for the event and I had the chance to talk to Tara for a little bit. Among the highlights:
She now lives in the Dallas area after having lived in Houston for 5 years.
She now attends SMU.
She no longer has her signature seven earrings.
She mentioned that her friend who went to UC Berkley had just retired ( I didn't bother to ask which friend)from the tour.
She says she still keeps in touch with Ansley Cargill and that they are good friends.
She is working with Olympic gold medalist Lynette Woodard( Basketball 1984) to possibly host more events to bring in people to tennis and basketball.
She mentioned how she liked the event in Oklahoma City but felt it was "unfortunate" the event moved to a larger arena in 2000 and 2001 because often the day sessions would be very empty and when it was at the Greens Country Club the environment was more intimate and the club members would be around to watch matches.
She said Vanessa Webb was one of her good friends on tour and that she could really serve and volley. Had a good lefty serve and good volleys.
I was surprised she seemed a little disconnected from the tour. We were talking about scheduling and she said well that in January the players were in Australia and then Asia and then came back to the states for Memphis and Philadelphia.

That's pretty much it. I took some video on my phone but don't know how to upload it. Any questions?

See less See more
#9 ·
I believe she is 31. She is actually in pretty good shape. She doesn't have the leg ton of most tennis players but is still in pretty good shape. It's interesting how up close you can notice the little details that would set her apart from regular players. She still has top 50 like shots.

#11 ·
I wanted to ask her about Joe but thought I'd better not. It was a really happy occassion and she was great with the kids, very patient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.