Tennis Forum banner

Henin is being ignored

4K views 129 replies 39 participants last post by  tfannis 
#1 ·
Personally I think it's unfair for Henin that Clijsters is getting all the attention. Henin has had a very similar career and just because Clijsters happened to win in LA all of a sudden it doesn't mean that she's all of a sudden way above Henin. Personally I hope that Henin does better in this AO then Clijsters, and even wins the whole tournament. Everyone is picking "kim to stop dominance of williams", "kim will win", "kim is the real no.1", "kim blah blah", yet you hear nothing about Henin. :rolleyes: She's also beaten the Williams and everyone else (including Seles which Clijsters hasn't yet), and she has had great results too, in fact not long ago Clijsters was struggling to win matches (do you remember?) but Henin was consistant. Henin, prove them all wrong and win the AO!

#3 ·
I think she might be better off with all the pressure and focus on Kim. I think that because Kim has beaten Justine a number of times and has just beaten the World No. 1, the focus is on her. That may just be the advantage Justine needs to sneak into the finals.

#5 ·
Sonja said:
I think she might be better off with all the pressure and focus on Kim. I think that because Kim has beaten Justine a number of times and has just beaten the World No. 1, the focus is on her. That may just be the advantage Justine needs to sneak into the finals.
I totally agree. Justine quite often manages to sneak through the draw un-noticed. Maybe it helps her. Personally I'm just glad that 4 of my favorite players are in the semi-finals of the Australian Open

#7 ·
a little out of place there u think mmcdonald? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is more focus on Kim because she is someone that has the power. Everyone thinks that Justine will suffer from the power and lose to the power players but Justine likes the ball coming back at her fast :)

#8 ·
M_pIeRcE14 said:
a little out of place there u think mmcdonald? :rolleyes:

Anyway, there is more focus on Kim because she is someone that has the power. Everyone thinks that Justine will suffer from the power and lose to the power players but Justine likes the ball coming back at her fast :)
Justine actually has a surprising amount of power for someone her size

#9 ·
1) Kim was struggling to win matches "not long ago" because she was suffering from a shoulder-injury that wouldn't go away. I just read an interview with her father where he says that the pain was sometimes so bad she could barely lift her arm.
Yet, with that injury, she succeeded in staying in the top ten. Once the shoulder was ok again, she raced to number 4, beating Justine in the Championships as a matter of fact.

2) Sure Justine has beaten "everybody else"... although only a few days ago she still had to beat Lindsay. She fought for what she was worth... and won. Barely. Kim won a LOT easier from Lindsay not a week before that - the final in Sydney, remember, where she first beat Justine in the semi's in 2 short sets.

3) And that's what it's all about: Kim has beaten Justine time and again, the last 18 months. And every time in 2 - relatively easy - sets. For the moment Kim is by far the better player.

THAT's why the focus is on her and not on Justine. Justine is a marvelous player... but at the moment Kim is closer to Serena than Justine is to Kim.

#10 ·
Lynx, that's my point. It's based on a 2 or 3 tournament span. They should wait a little longer, I mean Henin could all of a sudden have a better 2 or 3 tournaments then Clijsters and we should all say that she's the new no.1? :rolleyes:

#13 ·
mmcdonald said:
I'm sorry but both will be spanked, Go Team Williams!
Really mature, loser! :rolleyes:

I think Justine sneaking through is quite nice. It takes away the pressure, and we all know she's just as capable as Kim at knocking off a sister. Especially considering she has Venus, the least consistant of the two.

Plus it must not be forgotten, Kim's already cleaned Serena's clock once. Letting it happen twice wouldn't be that far fetched. ;)

Go team Belgium! :worship:

#14 ·
Hazy said:
2002 Rome Clay (O) SF Justine HENIN-HARDENNE 5-7 2-6
Ah - I forgot that, thank you Hazy. :)
Shoulder injury time, though.

As for Kim being the new n° 1, that's obviously not true. Why should we all be saying that??? Who is making us? :confused:

Blogger Dives - please let's keep it polite, here.

#16 ·
Yes, she had just won Hamburg. While her soulder was injured. That's why she was so inconsistent: she'd push, win some matches, a tournament even... and then she'd have to pay for that.

Like in Rome.

#17 ·
Josh said:
Shoulder injury time? Kim had just won Hamburg and had beaten Sandrine Testud in the quarters in a great match. The truth is they both played like crap that day but it was Justine who was a bit more consistent.
Good call ;)

But anyway Lynx, I dont think this was the shoulder problem time, that was more of the beginning of last year. This is the time where Kim got a little inconsistent, from the clay court season to the US Open. But I dont think it wa an injury..

#18 ·
The fact remains: Clijsters has never been able to beat Henin 3 times in a row. So why do you guys think that she could do it here in the AO? ;) Henin all the way baby!

#22 ·
when I saw bis2806 had posted in here, I knew it meant trouble and I was right :rolleyes: hmmm, I wonder why Justine pulled out of the doubles tournament?? O maybe she werent convincing people like bis and faking the injury meant more to her than winning in doubles after getting this far.
Lindsay has gotten over the Zurich incident and didnt accuse Justine of faking so who are u to judge? Im sure Lindsay is happy to fans like u....not :rolleyes:.

#23 ·
M_pIeRcE14 said:
Good call ;)

But anyway Lynx, I dont think this was the shoulder problem time, that was more of the beginning of last year. This is the time where Kim got a little inconsistent, from the clay court season to the US Open. But I dont think it wa an injury..
From an interview with Lei Clijsters in Humo (a Belgian magazine):

"Last year, after Carl Maes had left and we still hadn't found a new coach.../..."

"... She was full of doubts, that whole period of time. Because of her shoulder injury she had not been able to really practice the last half year."

Maes left immediately after RG. Shoulder injury time. ;)

#24 ·
Josh - you know why she kept playing.
She may have pushed too hard - that's what top-sporters tend to do. But if she should have stopped playing altogether, her level would have dropped much further.
Now, she succeeded in staying well in the top ten. :)

Brave girl, I say! :)

#25 ·
selesrules said:
The fact remains: Clijsters has never been able to beat Henin 3 times in a row. So why do you guys think that she could do it here in the AO? ;) Henin all the way baby!
That's only true if you don't count the exhibition matches.
Now maybe we should not count them. But I'm convinced of one thing: both times (2001, 2002) both girls tried to win.
Both times Justine lost in 2 sets.

#26 ·
Ow well it's a hell if you live in Belgium :rolleyes: ... (Flandres) It's always Kim ... She is loved by the press, she reall know what to say to a journalist, and that's what's making her so popular for example in all the contests (sportwoman of the year, ...) In the program'Sportweekend' on sunday they even ignored Justine's great win over Davenport earlier that they ... They were talking about Kim Clijsters her youth :rolleyes: It was very funny to see Kim as a kid but so unfair to Jusitne ... She was on frontpage all over the world ....

Kim won the last meetings but they were all on hard courts ... if fortnune would ive us more matches on gravel or grass, this score would be diffrent.

I don't have any probs with Kim but I hate it that Justine always 'the number 2' even if she's playing better ....
And yeah maybe it isn't that bad for her that the pressure is on Kim. Justine played a hell of a tournament ALREADY ;), it only can get even more better

Go girl to me you're the number one ;)

About the exihibitionthings ... well Kim's a player who can play good for fun .. Justine has to focus more on her game seriously. I was in Charleroi last year and if you saw Justine crying (it were tears of joy :D) you knew that she wasn't able to win. Kim can switch a lot easier from fun to serious things on court .. Justine isn't and that why those exhibitions are so 'boring'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.