Tennis Forum banner

Tennis Videogames Thread // EA Tennis Xbox360/PS3 version confirmed

76K views 1K replies 206 participants last post by  kaychae 
#1 · (Edited)
#98 ·
Re: Top Spin 3/Smash Court Tennis 3 Waiting thread - both hit stores June, 2008

Video looks good. Gameplay looks better than Top Spin 3 so far.

Only problem is Sharapova's hair!! It's way too long and looks like a sausage!! haha!
Agreed on the gameplay

Yeah. Both Sharapova's and Vaidisova's hair look awful. I hope they will have it fixed by the time of release. It's actually the Japanese version, which was released at the end of 2007

#97 ·

Anybody playing Dream Match Tennis? I downloaded it and this has to be the best tennis game I've ever played for PC. It seems so precise in regards to how they actually play on tour. The only thing I can't figure out is the first serve and when to go for drop shots. I'm on easy and it's seems hard. I can only imagine how it is on Hard or Insane.:eek:

Has anyone pre-ordered Topspin 3 yet? My only hope is they get rid of the special power shots because it's unrealistic. I much prefer tennis games thant require an all around game because the wham bam simulations like VT3 are starting to bore me.:)

#99 ·

Anybody playing Dream Match Tennis? I downloaded it and this has to be the best tennis game I've ever played for PC. It seems so precise in regards to how they actually play on tour. The only thing I can't figure out is the first serve and when to go for drop shots. I'm on easy and it's seems hard. I can only imagine how it is on Hard or Insane.:eek:

Has anyone pre-ordered Topspin 3 yet? My only hope is they get rid of the special power shots because it's unrealistic. I much prefer tennis games thant require an all around game because the wham bam simulations like VT3 are starting to bore me.:)
Gameplay of DMT is without a doubt the most realistic one today. I just wish the game would be taken to a next level (graphically wise especially)

I think they will be no power shots in TopSpin3. Gameplay would be totally different from previous series.

#105 ·

Yeah, that's true. It's too bad there can't be one official game for the WTA, like the MLB, NFL, and NBA games in America.
Yeah I wish there was a complete game. Because to get satisfaction from playing a tennis videogame I have to play 2 or 3 different ones, because in all there's something missing what the other game has.

#112 ·

OXM (Official Xbox360 Magazine) gives TS3 9/10

The full OXM review ...

"Tennis games have come a long way since Pong, but the last major landmark was Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast; games since then have just refined the concepts it debuted. Not this time, though- the fantastic Top Spin 3 is the next evolutionary step.

But at first, Top Spin 3 will **** you off. It sure didn't click with us during our brief hands-on time for our preview in last month's issue, but with the benefit of some 20/20 hindsight, we can assure you that it's just because Top Spin 3 masterfully turns tennis controls on their head. By focusing not on charging up but on getting your player into position and releasing your swing at the right moment, the control is loads more realistic, and it also requires more skill and finesse. Fortunately, the game helps you out with a great school more that runs you through every detail in 30-plus essential lessons.

It's definitely THAT tricky at first-for the first hour or so, you'll stare in disbelief as your ingrained charge-up-the-shot reflexes send easy balls zipping past you. But once you get in the groove and unleash your first he's-so-dead rocket, you'll start to appreciate how awesome the controls make the gameplay. Even doubles play or rushing the net feels different and harder in a good way, requiring mastery of their own respective timing and patterns.

See, there's no perfect arcade tennis here- you WILL crank the ball into the net on a regular basis, and if your positioning is off, the ball WILL comically bounce off your face. But rather than just shrugging off a bad dice roll on your charged-up shot, you'll learn to see that you swung too early, got too close to the ball, or misread the spin. All of this boils down to gameplay that is slower-paced, more realistic and lightyears more satisfying than Top Spin 2's, or anything with "Virtua" in it's name.

Top Spin 3 puts all this to fine use in terrific career and online modes, and gorgeous graphics and animations give you plenty of pretty to gawk at no matter where you play. While the career is the standard noob-to-god path, the structure isn't . You start out playing on a local playground, move up to more formal leagues at local colleges, and eventually earn an invite to the junior tour. Put in a good year there, and you can get invited to the pros and beyond. Challenge is everywhere you turn-at first, your rookie can barely hit the ball, so you have to hack out a win from the mess of his "skills." Then when you first make the juniors, everyone is so much better that it's almost daunting. But scratch out some XP here and there while studying your opponents' patterns, and your rank will climb in no time. Hey, if you want to pretend you can beat Federer with your pinkie, you can always go play an exhibition match on Easy.

On the online side, Top Spin 3 sadly fails to provide four-player doubles form four 360s, but the game takes the sting out of the disappointment with its nifty World Tour mode. Here you can enter a set of tournaments, and matchmaking puts you against an opponent who's reached the same round as you(quarters, semis, etc.). If you lose, you can't re-enter for two weeks-though you can play in ever-present one-off games-which puts actual meaning into the scrapping for leaderboard position.

Top Spin 3 might seem like it's testing your tolerance for sucking at a game. But there's no tilting at windmills-abundant gameplay riches and rewards are here, just waiting for you to mine them, and they make your inevitable triumph that much sweeter."

#116 ·

OXM (Official Xbox360 Magazine) gives TS3 9/10

The full OXM review ...

"Tennis games have come a long way since Pong, but the last major landmark was Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast; games since then have just refined the concepts it debuted. Not this time, though- the fantastic Top Spin 3 is the next evolutionary step.

But at first, Top Spin 3 will **** you off. It sure didn't click with us during our brief hands-on time for our preview in last month's issue, but with the benefit of some 20/20 hindsight, we can assure you that it's just because Top Spin 3 masterfully turns tennis controls on their head. By focusing not on charging up but on getting your player into position and releasing your swing at the right moment, the control is loads more realistic, and it also requires more skill and finesse. Fortunately, the game helps you out with a great school more that runs you through every detail in 30-plus essential lessons.

It's definitely THAT tricky at first-for the first hour or so, you'll stare in disbelief as your ingrained charge-up-the-shot reflexes send easy balls zipping past you. But once you get in the groove and unleash your first he's-so-dead rocket, you'll start to appreciate how awesome the controls make the gameplay. Even doubles play or rushing the net feels different and harder in a good way, requiring mastery of their own respective timing and patterns.

See, there's no perfect arcade tennis here- you WILL crank the ball into the net on a regular basis, and if your positioning is off, the ball WILL comically bounce off your face. But rather than just shrugging off a bad dice roll on your charged-up shot, you'll learn to see that you swung too early, got too close to the ball, or misread the spin. All of this boils down to gameplay that is slower-paced, more realistic and lightyears more satisfying than Top Spin 2's, or anything with "Virtua" in it's name.

Top Spin 3 puts all this to fine use in terrific career and online modes, and gorgeous graphics and animations give you plenty of pretty to gawk at no matter where you play. While the career is the standard noob-to-god path, the structure isn't . You start out playing on a local playground, move up to more formal leagues at local colleges, and eventually earn an invite to the junior tour. Put in a good year there, and you can get invited to the pros and beyond. Challenge is everywhere you turn-at first, your rookie can barely hit the ball, so you have to hack out a win from the mess of his "skills." Then when you first make the juniors, everyone is so much better that it's almost daunting. But scratch out some XP here and there while studying your opponents' patterns, and your rank will climb in no time. Hey, if you want to pretend you can beat Federer with your pinkie, you can always go play an exhibition match on Easy.

On the online side, Top Spin 3 sadly fails to provide four-player doubles form four 360s, but the game takes the sting out of the disappointment with its nifty World Tour mode. Here you can enter a set of tournaments, and matchmaking puts you against an opponent who's reached the same round as you(quarters, semis, etc.). If you lose, you can't re-enter for two weeks-though you can play in ever-present one-off games-which puts actual meaning into the scrapping for leaderboard position.

Top Spin 3 might seem like it's testing your tolerance for sucking at a game. But there's no tilting at windmills-abundant gameplay riches and rewards are here, just waiting for you to mine them, and they make your inevitable triumph that much sweeter."

:hearts: If this review is anything to go by I can't wait! The career mode sounds like I would have wanted it, structured and challenging! Sounds brilliant.

#113 ·
#114 ·
#120 ·

That top spin review sound awesome, just hope they haven't dumbed it down for wii like they usually do.

#121 ·

Great review and it sounds deep and challenging which is what serious tennis gamers are after :):worship:

#122 ·

Woohoo! I've just preordered both of the two tennis games! Cannot wait!

#124 ·
#127 ·

I'm not that impressed with the player models actually. :unsure: The ones during play look mostly good, but the player selection screen ones look just ok, nothing spectacular. As long as the gameplay is amazing I can forgive them though.

#129 ·

I'm not that impressed with the player models actually. :unsure: The ones during play look mostly good, but the player selection screen ones look just ok, nothing spectacular. As long as the gameplay is amazing I can forgive them though.
PAM developpement isn't really renowned for its capacity to modelize perfectly the players (except Kournikova in the first one). Maybe in HD they'll look very good :)

to mal : there's no Fish but you can create him ;)

#128 ·

Is Fish in it?
I want to see him beat Roddick.

#130 · (Edited)
#133 ·

Virtua Tennis 3 on the PS3 is great (apart from minor flaws like the diving), but the biggest problem is the lack of online play.

The fact Top Spin 3 will have online play makes it worth buying alone, even if it's not as good as VT3.

#140 ·

Virtua Tennis 3 on the PS3 is great (apart from minor flaws like the diving), but the biggest problem is the lack of online play.
The fact Top Spin 3 will have online play makes it worth buying alone, even if it's not as good as VT3.
Which is why you should have bought an Xbox 360 over the ps3:p

#136 ·

Do we think that there will be more than one outfit to chose from? Like the previous games?
Judging by the new pictures, there are at least 2 different outfits. Roddick has his regular white and black/grey lacoste polo, and the new photos show him playing in a Lacoste warm-up jacket.

Hopefully they have more than 2, however. Smash Court was great with outfits; they had 4 which players usually have each year for the different surfaces/slams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.