Beyonce and J-Lo: Bad influence on teenage girls - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 34,235
                     
Thumbs down Beyonce and J-Lo: Bad influence on teenage girls

Teens pick the best bodies
By Alexa Baracaia, Evening Standard
5 January 2004


Nine out of ten British teenage girls are unhappy with their bodies - and believe thinner girls have more friends, it emerged today. A new study shows that, despite the best efforts of health professionals, young women are more obsessed than ever with losing weight and are convinced that being thin is the key to being happy and popular.

They consider Britney Spears has the best female body, but the perfect woman is a combination of Rachel Stevens (face), Christina Aguilera (breasts and stomach), Beyonce (legs), J-Lo (bottom) and Britney (arms).

A quarter of 14-year-old girls say they have "considered having plastic surgery" or taking diet pills to achieve an 'ideal' waiflikephysique.

And despite the rise of larger stars, including Kelly Osbourne, Pink and Pop Idol winner Michelle McManus, most teenage girls view such celebrities as having the "worst" kind of female body.

Despite the fact that only 19 per cent of teenage girls are actually overweight, a staggering 67 per cent feel they need to lose at least half a stone. Nearly two-thirds of girls under 13 have been on a diet.

Almost threequarters of teenage girls think thin girls are "more popular" and "more attractive to boys", while 66 per cent say they are "depressed" that they cannot attain the looks of their celebrity idol.

The problem is rife in London and the south east, where just four per cent are happy with their body and 62 per cent - nearly 20 per cent above the national average - believe they would be happier if they were thinner. Britney Spears is named by the girls surveyed - whose average age is 14 - as the top female to aspire to.

And they say the "perfect" specimen would be comprised of former S-Club 7 star Rachel Stevens' face, Britney's arms, Christina Aguilera's breasts and stomach and Beyonce's legs.

Probably the only heartening aspect of the survey is that the fullerfigured J-Lo's bottom is voted most perfect rear, while the siliconeenhanced Jordan is denounced as having one of the worst bodies.

The study, commissioned by magazine Bliss, questioned 2,000 teenaged girls across the UK.

It found that, regardless of huge publicity about the dangers of eating disorders, teens are still being affected by their own mothers' continuing anxiety about their weight as much as the skinny cult of celebrity.

Nine out of ten girls who say they are "unhappy" with their body say their mothers are insecure about their weight.

"Female body image obsession has grown year on year since the sixties and it's now reached epidemic proportions, filtering down to young girls," said Bliss editor Helen Johnston. "Teenage girls look to their mums for guidance only to see them continually worrying about their own body shape and size.

Now many girls of 13 and 14 are dieting constantly at an age when their bodies are still developing.

"It's tragic that even girls of a normal weight want to be skinny. They are driving themselves mad trying to achieve unrealistic bodies that even supermodels won't lay claim to."

Source: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifean...ing%20Standard

This just goes to show the terrible influence people like Beyonce/J-Lo and Britney are having on teenage girls. And it also shows they are popular because of their body parts. Yes, it's not their music or "talent" because they don't have any but because fans see that they have nice body parts. Very sad.

Journey to the North
Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Sam L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Australia
Posts: 34,235
                     
Celebrities like Pink and Michelle McManus are the ones with talent whom we should be revering. They don't need to strip to get attention.

Journey to the North
Himalayas, Gobi, Baikal, Taiga, Steppe, Alps, Aurora

Sam L is offline  
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Moderator - Juniors
 
Randy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,986
                     
If your own perception of yourself is that terrible because of the way other people portrayed in the media look then I would say that there are probably several mental issues that need to be worked out if you are that insecure and that there are probably underlying issues or other reasons that lead you to be that way.

While I am sure the media hardly helps to make them feel more confident in their own looks, I find it hard to believe that that is the real stemming problem or cause. It is a way to hide behind other issues by placing the blame on something else.

"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline  
post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
per4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 41,228
                     
It are mostly young children who get influenced so much. They shouldn't be dieting, while lots of older girls and women should be doing more excercise
per4ever is offline  
post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L
Celebrities like Pink and Michelle McManus are the ones with talent whom we should be revering. They don't need to strip to get attention.
I don't know who the McManus is, but Pink is just as raunchy as anyone.
hey_britney is offline  
post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H
If your own perception of yourself is that terrible because of the way other people portrayed in the media look then I would say that there are probably several mental issues that need to be worked out if you are that insecure and that there are probably underlying issues or other reasons that lead you to be that way.

While I am sure the media hardly helps to make them feel more confident in their own looks, I find it hard to believe that that is the real stemming problem or cause. It is a way to hide behind other issues by placing the blame on something else.
I think you're wrong. These women are held up as role models. Teenage girls want to be them. And it's not just music celebrities, it's every woman in movies and in magazines. Girls want to be pretty, and this culture has forcefed them to believe that the only pretty girls are thin and blonde. And not everybody is, so .... some will go to drastic lengths. Maybe your argument of underlying mental issues would be valid if this wasn't 9/10 girls. But it is.
hey_britney is offline  
post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Senior Member
 
jd4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,206
                     
It's not their fault that they look good.

They shouldn't be held accountable for other people's insecurities.


jd4eva is offline  
post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
But back to music for a second. The worst part of these supposed female "role models" (I'm thinking Christina and Britney here, more so than the rest), is their contradiction. Christina can go sing a song called "Can't hold us down" about women standing up for themselves, while at the same time she's dressed like a common streetwalker in the video. She says wearing skimpy outfits empowers women. RIGHT. It's really empowering to objectify yourself and give men exactly what they want.

Then you have Britney. She'll go out a sing a song about how she's "Not a girl, Not yet a woman". Nice coming-of-age-ditty. Then she'll do "I'm a Slave 4 U" and lesbian kiss Madonna. Somehow I think she's a woman now. It's just ... all the female stars (Christina and Britney are just the most flagrant violations) send very mixed messages. Why? Because Christina's management knows that she won't get played on MTV unless she's wearing a thong. They also know she has to cowtow to her audience (teenage girls), so they have her out repeating the standard lines. Britney's management knows that sex sells, so they have her acting like a sexpot in some of her videos, but then sending that heartfelt message to her teenage girl base in others. It's all so insincere, and these people should not be looked up to but they are.

The moral of the tale? Don't buy the CDs of skanks.
hey_britney is offline  
post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4eva
It's not their fault that they look good.

They shouldn't be held accountable for other people's insecurities.
But is it the media's fault for pushing this one singular image of the beautiful female in all walks of media?
hey_britney is offline  
post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Moderator - Juniors
 
Randy H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,986
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_britney
I think you're wrong. These women are held up as role models. Teenage girls want to be them. And it's not just music celebrities, it's every woman in movies and in magazines. Girls want to be pretty, and this culture has forcefed them to believe that the only pretty girls are thin and blonde. And not everybody is, so .... some will go to drastic lengths. Maybe your argument of underlying mental issues would be valid if this wasn't 9/10 girls. But it is.
I don't disagree with what you're saying but I don't think that it's those girls who are to blame directly for little teenage girls' problems. Yes they are supposed role models (even though many claim they do not want to be), but I just can't believe that 9 out of 10 girls feel they are fat and ugly because Beyonce and Britney look the way they do. That is not the problem. The problem is that the media does not embrace more realistic images of everyday beautiful women who are of many different shapes, races etc., and children cannot depend solely on musicians and models to be their role models and people to look up to. Parents, teachers, or whoever, should be making efforts to instill confidence in kids from an early age and make them understand that 1. Britney Spears does not have to be the image of perfection, and 2. What the media portrays is often fake airbrushed crap anyway. It's amazing what some touching up can do to a photo, and too many people (especially already vulnerable developing teens) do not understand the realistic perspective behind it all. I think too many kids are just not given that confidence from the people around them, and it's very important to have at a young age in order to cope with many situations in life, not just your own feelings, but your actions and decisions too.

"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline  
post #11 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     
I don't care how much skin they show - in fact the more the better. I'm also sceptical about this blonde stereotype business. Lots of these women are decidedly not blonde. How many of the original supermodels (Cindy, Elle, Naomi, etc) were blonde?

However, I do think it's tough when the media promote a view that to be acceptable you have to be a freakish body shape - made even more freakish by the heavy use of airbrushing, computer modified images, etc, etc, not to mention plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry, etc.

Even on this board, I see extraordinarily beautiful women criticised as being "not hot" if they show the slightest touch of body fat (unless it's in GM and the woman concerned is Daniela Hantuchova, which is another story).

It would be nice if a pretty girl could just enjoy being a pretty girl.

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #12 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy H
I don't disagree with what you're saying but I don't think that it's those girls who are to blame directly for little teenage girls' problems. Yes they are supposed role models (even though many claim they do not want to be), but I just can't believe that 9 out of 10 girls feel they are fat and ugly because Beyonce and Britney look the way they do. That is not the problem. The problem is that the media does not embrace more realistic images of everyday beautiful women who are of many different shapes, races etc., and children cannot depend solely on musicians and models to be their role models and people to look up to. Parents, teachers, or whoever, should be making efforts to instill confidence in kids from an early age and make them understand that 1. Britney Spears does not have to be the image of perfection, and 2. What the media portrays is often fake airbrushed crap anyway. It's amazing what some touching up can do to a photo, and too many people (especially already vulnerable developing teens) do not understand the realistic perspective behind it all. I think too many kids are just not given that confidence from the people around them, and it's very important to have at a young age in order to cope with many situations in life, not just your own feelings, but your actions and decisions too.
Well, I ask you. How do you instill confidence in your child? How do get them to believe something that their peers don't believe and the media implicitly tells them not to believe? Basically, Randy, I don't think we are living in a time of neglectful parents, I just think that there are many more influences on one side of the coin than the other.
hey_britney is offline  
post #13 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: britain
Posts: 1,299
             
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~ The Leopard ~*
I don't care how much skin they show - in fact the more the better.
Oh, Britney's management team already knows that.
hey_britney is offline  
post #14 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     
^Yeah, but there's a serious point in my post - however surprisingly.

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #15 of 151 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
jd4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,206
                     
hey britney: i agree with you to some extent however it isn't the sole fault of the magazines, it's society's fault as well.

at the end of the day, magazines are there to make money so they use what's popular and appealing in society's perception. if society perceived fat people to be beautiful, then magazines would have to conform to that view in order to sell. its society, rather than magazines, that dictate our own perceptions of what is sexy.

however, i think its a lot fairer to blame magazines and society as opposed to the girls themselves. they work hard to look the way they do and people should stop hating on them for that reason.



Last edited by jd4eva; Jan 6th, 2004 at 08:54 AM.
jd4eva is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome