OT: Japanese vs. Russian vs. Western toilets - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Catskill Mtns., NY, USA
Posts: 1,564
                     
Cool OT: Japanese vs. Russian vs. Western toilets

I was just sent this disturbing web-page on the traditional Japanese toilet. Are the toilets in Japan really like this?

Also, are the toilets with a dry, flat raised area for the bowel movement still in common use in Russia? That's the only type I saw when I studied there back in 1992, although I've been told those are becoming less common.

And do any of the other Americans hate the mandated "low-flow" toilets that use less water per flush, but often require multiple flushes?
Ted of Teds Tennis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,458
                     
gawd!

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:30 AM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,458
                     
i hate squatting commodes.

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 04:54 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Martian Willow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Below the stars.
Posts: 6,694
                     
...I'm sure I read somewhere that in China they have unisex public lavs...with no doors on the cubicles...
Martian Willow is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
gentenaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: land of the incompetent
Posts: 34,743
                     
The Japanese probably have the most advances toilets in the world. I believe that in some older places you might find some of those toilets as you see there, but overall the Japanese toilets are like ours, except with about a dozen buttons on them for heated toilet seat, special wash (different for men and women), dryer, etc.

in France and Italy you may also find toilets like the one up there. I've always hated those. We call them French toilets, the French call them Turkish toilets

Everything you do continues long after you've gone
gentenaire is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Experimentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,064
                     
They have toilets like that in all of Asia at least, probably in other parts of the world too. But they're becoming less common.
I hate them. I'd prefer to hold it until i see a normal toilet.
Experimentee is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ex hopman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LA/Honolulu/Tokyo
Posts: 2,639
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted of Teds Tennis
I was just sent this disturbing web-page on the traditional Japanese toilet. Are the toilets in Japan really like this?

Also, are the toilets with a dry, flat raised area for the bowel movement still in common use in Russia? That's the only type I saw when I studied there back in 1992, although I've been told those are becoming less common.

And do any of the other Americans hate the mandated "low-flow" toilets that use less water per flush, but often require multiple flushes?
lol! @ this website...
but yes, it's true. old houses had these toilet when we didn't have running water at all houses.
I remember my grand parents old house had these type of toilet... but ppl now, esp. girls hate this kind of toilet too. lots of old schools have these types still, I am sure.

but, now, yes, toilets r like here too.
and yes, with heated seat, with music sometimes when people come into the booth or bathroom, or "washlet", etc, etc...

Go! Trojans!

ex hopman is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
CondiLicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: In bed.
Posts: 6,853
                     
I like the toilets that flush for you with those sensor things. But the only places that have them are public places like airports and who in their right minds would sit on the seat??? I usually just kinda squat down so i dont catch germs and the sensors always go off if I make the slightest movement so a 60 second trip to the toilet turns into a 3 minute one and I don't like that.
CondiLicious is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,490
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah Scary
I like the toilets that flush for you with those sensor things. But the only places that have them are public places like airports and who in their right minds would sit on the seat??? I usually just kinda squat down so i dont catch germs and the sensors always go off if I make the slightest movement so a 60 second trip to the toilet turns into a 3 minute one and I don't like that.
lmao..took the words right out of my mouth

For the very reason you've mentioned I can't stand the sensor toilets. My first encounter with one was in the Amsterdam airport. It was quite annoying
Hawk is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Veritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,894
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggin' Beguine
The Japanese probably have the most advances toilets in the world. I believe that in some older places you might find some of those toilets as you see there, but overall the Japanese toilets are like ours, except with about a dozen buttons on them for heated toilet seat, special wash (different for men and women), dryer, etc.

in France and Italy you may also find toilets like the one up there. I've always hated those. We call them French toilets, the French call them Turkish toilets
When I went to Japan, my jaw dropped straight to the floor when I saw a toilet with more gizmos and buttons than IBM laptop computer

It was pretty awkward though. I liked the way its seat massaged and warmed my butt...but I felt embarassed when it sprayed warm water into my ass
Veritas is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
DutchieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: my own Dutchie world
Posts: 152,959
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
lmao..took the words right out of my mouth

For the very reason you've mentioned I can't stand the sensor toilets. My first encounter with one was in the Amsterdam airport. It was quite annoying
My first time was at Schiphol too, and I didn't like them at first, but now I'm used to them, and they are OK! :Lol: Except for when the sensor doesn't actually work and so they don't flush at all!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...10/sheadam.jpg

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 06:39 AM
Senior Member
 
azza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: EVIES THROAT CHOKING.....
Posts: 24,930
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dismal_aptitude
When I went to Japan, my jaw dropped straight to the floor when I saw a toilet with more gizmos and buttons than IBM laptop computer

It was pretty awkward though. I liked the way its seat massaged and warmed my butt...but I felt embarassed when it sprayed warm water into my ass
Omg
azza is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome