Is it hot over there or what? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Is it hot over there or what?

Sorry, I have to laugh. When I hear that 95.7F (35.4C) is the all-time record for London, it reminds me how easy you have it over there. I have seen in my lovely hometown +42C AND -52C all within the past 10 years. I guess that trumps the "all-time record 40C" that France is supposedly expecting. Do you people just wear the same clothes in the suimmer and winter or what?

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
AleOrtu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Argentina
Posts: 6,752
                     
NO !

It´s really cold here! In the last two weeks the hotest day was yesterday, we had about 12°C at 13hs.
But we are having 9°C average, and sometimes -3° in the nigh!
I really hate winter, I should love to have 40° and enjoy it!


Eleni Daniilidou - Iveta Benesova - Melanie Klaffner - Gisela Dulko - Daniela Hantuchova - Jelena Dokic - Karolina Sprem -

Akenatón rules, Horemheb sucks
Member #5452 Making Your Life Better Since 2002
AleOrtu is offline  
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Vincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Martinaland
Posts: 10,890
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catriel
NO !

It´s really cold here! In the last two weeks the hotest day was yesterday, we had about 12°C at 13hs.
But we are having 9°C average, and sometimes -3° in the nigh!
I really hate winter, I should love to have 40° and enjoy it!
Pffffff....
I wish i had a weather like yours. How dare you hate winter? In Hong Kong, the temperature easily hit 35 degree celcius, the global warming should be getting very serious.

Martina Hingis



.
Vincent is offline  
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Do you people just wear the same clothes in the suimmer and winter or what?
hahaha! i just said that on the other thread! the europeans are reluctant to put on a pair of shorts, tank tops, short skirts or sun dresses. it would make life easier in the sweltering heat yet they cling to their wool sweaters.
doloresc is offline  
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:27 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
no

most "English" people will strip to next to nothing if it hits 20

i guess the Bajan in me stops that....also most English people couldnt take living in the heat

LMAO@Canada....yea i have family there, i laugh at the pics of them digging in feet of snow
SJW is offline  
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
gentenaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: land of the incompetent
Posts: 34,743
                     
Last year I was in England with a group of Europeans and Americans. It was hot, yet the Europeans didn't have a problem with it and sat outside as much as possible. The Americans, who're supposedly used to it were suffering immensly and were asking to turn on the AC...which there wasn't.

And Dolores, believe me, people do wear shorts and tank tops, always have. Maybe you were looking at policemen or other men in uniform.

Everything you do continues long after you've gone
gentenaire is offline  
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets_SJW
no

most "English" people will strip to next to nothing if it hits 20

i guess the Bajan in me stops that....also most English people couldnt take living in the heat

LMAO@Canada....yea i have family there, i laugh at the pics of them digging in feet of snow
sweet_sjw, i was speaking of europe in general, and in my experience, the uk isn't immune to this "clinging to sweaters" mentality. perhaps not your generation but on the whole, brits, scots and the irish, do not like exposing a lot of skin, hence the fact when my church group comes over occasionally in the summer with our shorts and t-shirts, the locals think we're strange (albeit just being american attracts enough attention, negative or otherwise). even in italy where it's scorching, the italians tend to stick to some unwritten fashion mode that isn't always conducive to the balmy weather.

Last edited by doloresc; Aug 8th, 2003 at 12:46 PM.
doloresc is offline  
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggin' Beguine
Last year I was in England with a group of Europeans and Americans. It was hot, yet the Europeans didn't have a problem with it and sat outside as much as possible. The Americans, who're supposedly used to it were suffering immensly and were asking to turn on the AC...which there wasn't.

And Dolores, believe me, people do wear shorts and tank tops, always have. Maybe you were looking at policemen or other men in uniform.
i'm not surprised by the behavior of the americans because it's no secret how "ugly" we act abroad.

oh europeans wear summer clothes but i think the percentage that do is lower than those who cling to being fully clothed during the summer.

beggin beguine, away from work, can you go an entire summer wearing only shorts and tank tops and other summer wear?
doloresc is offline  
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Miss Verstand
 
Maajken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Thighland
Posts: 16,531
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresc
hahaha! i just said that on the other thread! the europeans are reluctant to put on a pair of shorts, tank tops, short skirts or sun dresses. it would make life easier in the sweltering heat yet they cling to their wool sweaters.
go and post that in the misconception thread

Men när natten är ljus - I ditt sjuttiotalshus
Och du är ånga, spår av ett moln
I en dröm om att fly till någonting nytt

Och du håller så hårt och när längtan blir svår
Så är jag din, din, din att ta med
Att ta ut, att ta in i någonting nytt
Maajken is offline  
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Maeike
go and post that in the misconception thread
hahaha! very good, super maeike. are you wearing shorts in this hot weather? be honest!
doloresc is offline  
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:52 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresc
sweet_sjw, i was speaking of europe in general, and in my experience, the uk isn't immune to this "clinging to sweaters" mentality. perhaps not your generation but on the whole, brits, scots and the irish, do not like exposing a lot of skin, hence the fact when my church group comes over occasionally in the summer with our shorts and t-shirts, the locals think we're strange (albeit just being american attracts enough attention, negative or otherwise). even in italy where it's scorching, the italians tend to stick to some unwritten fashion mode that isn't always conducive to the balmy weather.
LMFAO ok u have no idea how skanky this Brit generation is.

if they wouldnt get arrested for lewd behaviour....they would go round walking nekkid post June
SJW is offline  
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweets_SJW
LMFAO ok u have no idea how skanky this Brit generation is.

if they wouldnt get arrested for lewd behaviour....they would go round walking nekkid post June
sounds a lot like the brits of the 60's. i'm glad your generation is maintaining the uk tradition of youthful rebellion.
doloresc is offline  
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Senior Member
 
gentenaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: land of the incompetent
Posts: 34,743
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresc
beggin beguine, away from work, can you go an entire summer wearing only shorts and tank tops and other summer wear?
What do you mean? Usually, there are weeks in summer where it's not hot but rainy, on those days I don't wear shorts.

In summer I always wear sandals, nothing else. And we do have a seperate summer wardrobe, if that's what you're asking. I've got plenty of shorts and tank tops.

And believe me, everyone's wearing shorts or a skirt at the moment (uniformed people excepted).

Everything you do continues long after you've gone
gentenaire is offline  
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: croton, ny
Posts: 947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beggin' Beguine
What do you mean? Usually, there are weeks in summer where it's not hot but rainy, on those days I don't wear shorts.

In summer I always wear sandals, nothing else. And we do have a seperate summer wardrobe, if that's what you're asking. I've got plenty of shorts and tank tops.

And believe me, everyone's wearing shorts or a skirt at the moment (uniformed people excepted).
i wear shorts or sun dresses even in the rain (the humidity in the northeast is unbearble even in a thunderstorm).

that's good news about the separate summer wardrobe! it's definitely a generational thing because i remember, for example, in the 70's going to a pub in ireland with some of my travelling companions and the locals thinking we were odd for wearing shorts and sneakers to a pub. hahaha. good to see the times have changed! i grew up in warm weather and i love it and i think everyone should embrace it as a chance to put away all that heavy winter clothing which some people have trouble parting with.
doloresc is offline  
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Miss Verstand
 
Maajken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Thighland
Posts: 16,531
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by doloresc
hahaha! very good, super maeike. are you wearing shorts in this hot weather? be honest!
actually yes, im wearing shorts and a tank top

how else am i gonna get a nice tan huh?

Men när natten är ljus - I ditt sjuttiotalshus
Och du är ånga, spår av ett moln
I en dröm om att fly till någonting nytt

Och du håller så hårt och när längtan blir svår
Så är jag din, din, din att ta med
Att ta ut, att ta in i någonting nytt
Maajken is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome