Lightning Really Does Strike Twice... Literally - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
 
AjdeNate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The City by the Lake.
Posts: 49,163
                     
Lightning Really Does Strike Twice... Literally

Some of you may remember from last year (late June/early July ?) when my building got struck by lightning and sent the shock through my workstation and into my phones...and out my ear. Well, guess what - lightning strikes twice!

Today about 4pm or so our building got hit AGAIN! Fortunately for me I was not wounded this time! They actually grounded our counsels since the last episode. (I can't believe they weren't in the first place!). We have 4 computers and a phone bank of 25 lines at each terminal, so it's kind of important to the citizens and the rest of the Police force that our stuff works even when hit by lightning. Well, aside from a few phone line issues, all was ok despite the hit.

I'm really tired of near death experiences at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AjdeNate! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:37 AM
In my new place!!
 
Mase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Old VA
Posts: 23,113
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles
Some of you may remember from last year (late June/early July ?) when my building got struck by lightning and sent the shock through my workstation and into my phones...and out my ear. Well, guess what - lightning strikes twice!

Today about 4pm or so our building got hit AGAIN! Fortunately for me I was not wounded this time! They actually grounded our counsels since the last episode. (I can't believe they weren't in the first place!). We have 4 computers and a phone bank of 25 lines at each terminal, so it's kind of important to the citizens and the rest of the Police force that our stuff works even when hit by lightning. Well, aside from a few phone line issues, all was ok despite the hit.

I'm really tired of near death experiences at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my Seles, Im glad your alright!!! I think that might deserve some short term disabilty, thats kinda traumatizing......

Come back EVENTUALLY Cappy!! Ok this clearly was written back in a day when I still had faith..


Mase is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Bacardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Raccoon City's Hive
Posts: 14,737
                     
Glad to hear you are OK Seles.

Lightning is a very dangerous thing.

I'm BACK & SINGLE. So lock up all the hotties!
Bacardi is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Bright Like Neon Love
 
Richie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Twilight World
Posts: 13,666
                     
Seles, I'm glad you're okay!

I had to drive home tonight in a thunderstorm...I drove faster than normal, because I was on a country road in an area where there are very few trees. I was a little afraid, to say the least.
Richie77 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 10,399
                     
That was not lightning. I farted.
King Satan is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie77
Seles, I'm glad you're okay!

I had to drive home tonight in a thunderstorm...I drove faster than normal, because I was on a country road in an area where there are very few trees. I was a little afraid, to say the least.

you were safe


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Bright Like Neon Love
 
Richie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Twilight World
Posts: 13,666
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by decemberlove
you were safe
I didn't feel safe. There weren't a lot of trees, so me and my car were the tallest things out there. It wasn't too much fun.
Richie77 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,330
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie77
I didn't feel safe. There weren't a lot of trees, so me and my car were the tallest things out there. It wasn't too much fun.

A Car is the safest place to be when lighting strikes. Not only are the tires on your car are grounding the lighting if your car was, but the outer shell of your car insulates you from lighting. So its ok!!
jbone_0307 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone_0307
A Car is the safest place to be when lighting strikes. Not only are the tires on your car are grounding the lighting if your car was, but the outer shell of your car insulates you from lighting. So its ok!!
uhhuh
its called the skin effect. its not really the tires that protect you, but if your car is hit by lightning the metal structure conducts the electrical current on the outside of your car, and not inside. so its a lot safer if your windows are up [i imagine they were]


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Bright Like Neon Love
 
Richie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Twilight World
Posts: 13,666
                     
My windows were up, definitely

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I guess I shouldn't have worried. I was on an airplane that was struck by lightning And I'm still here.
Richie77 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: a parking lot near yuo
Posts: 4,910
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seles
Some of you may remember from last year (late June/early July ?) when my building got struck by lightning and sent the shock through my workstation and into my phones...and out my ear. Well, guess what - lightning strikes twice!

Today about 4pm or so our building got hit AGAIN! Fortunately for me I was not wounded this time! They actually grounded our counsels since the last episode. (I can't believe they weren't in the first place!). We have 4 computers and a phone bank of 25 lines at each terminal, so it's kind of important to the citizens and the rest of the Police force that our stuff works even when hit by lightning. Well, aside from a few phone line issues, all was ok despite the hit.

I'm really tired of near death experiences at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i feel yuo dude, i got hit out on a golf course about 5 or 6 years ago and it's no fucking joke

glad to see yuo're okay
Car Key Boi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome