Middle-East: Americans get to know it - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
Middle-East: Americans get to know it

Might As Well Get To Know It
by Charley Reese

Now that our president has embedded us in the Middle East for an indefinite future, you might as well start trying to educate yourself about the area and its conflicts. As one can say about so many problems in this world, it all began with the British Empire.

When you look at a map of the Middle East, you are looking at a map drawn by two Europeans by the names of Sykes and Picot. This map represents the betrayal of the Arabs and the Kurds. Before this map was drawn, the area had been part of the Ottoman Empire. (That's Turkey, for those of you who hate history and geography.)

The British, with their usual perfidy, had promised everything to everybody. Help us overthrow the Turks, they said to the Arabs, and you can have an independent Arab nation afterward. Help us overthrow the Turks, they said to the Kurds, and you will get an independent Kurdistan. And for some reason historians still argue about, they also promised European Zionists that they (the Brits) would establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. They betrayed them, too, because what they did was establish the Palestine mandate — or, in plain language, British occupation of Palestine.

Britain and France divided the Middle East between themselves, and this basic fact set off the conflicts we are still dealing with. The problem with establishing a Jewish state was that Arabs already occupied the area chosen. While they initially had no quarrel with Jews who wanted to immigrate to Palestine (the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has nothing to do with religion and never has), as soon as they figured out that European Jews were not coming to be Palestinians but to take their land away from them, the Arabs revolted. The British crushed this.

It wasn't too long, however, before Jews became impatient with British occupation and so, to drive out the British, did what Palestinians are doing today — used terror. Two of the premier Jewish terrorists — Menachem Begin, who led the Irgun, and Yitzhak Shamir, who led the Stern Gang — would later become prime ministers of Israel. It is the political parties these terrorists started that rule Israel today. Begin is famous for blowing up the King David Hotel, Shamir for reputedly ordering the assassination of Swedish diplomat Count Folke Bernadotte, who had been sent on a peace mission by the United Nations. Both of their groups joined forces to commit one of the most infamous massacres in history at the little village of Deir Yassin, where more than 200 men, women and children were slaughtered. Much of modern terrorist methods were pioneered by Begin. You should read his book "The Revolt."

Sometime in 1947, the British had had enough of Palestine and announced they were going to end the mandate the following year and dump the problem in the lap of the United Nations. The Zionists fiercely lobbied both Harry Truman and Joe Stalin. The deal was to get a vote to partition Palestine. The Jews would immediately proclaim the state of Israel, and, as preplanned, the United States and the Soviet Union would instantly recognize it. This was the first instance of the United States using a combination of threats and bribery to round up votes at the United Nations.

Jews and Palestinians were already fighting, and in the course of that fighting, the better-organized Zionists decided to expand beyond the boundaries set by the partition resolution and to do a little ethnic cleansing, since Arabs still outnumbered Jewish residents 2-1. Despite some volunteers coming in from other Arab countries, the Zionists had accomplished both goals by the cease-fire in 1948. In a 1967 war, the Zionists took the rest of Palestine, and Palestinians, who stubbornly insist on self-determination (once, but no longer, an American value), are fighting them the best way they can.

With the United States loading the Israelis down with both modern arms and billions of dollars, however, the Palestinians are having a hard time. This issue has made the United States hated in the region and the king of hypocrites because we have vetoed 35 U.N. resolutions to prevent the international community from giving any justice or help to the Palestinians.

Now, our president has included Palestinian organizations that are not international terrorists (Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah) on our list of enemies. Originally, they were just aiming their attacks at Israel, but I suppose this might change since George Bush has become the puppet of the Israeli government.

Hang on to your hats, folks. You're in for a violent next 50 years or so.

http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20030409/index.php
© 2003 by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
empiremaker03 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by empiremaker03
Might As Well Get To Know It
by Charley Reese

Now that our president has embedded us in the Middle East for an indefinite future, you might as well start trying to educate yourself about the area and its conflicts. As one can say about so many problems in this world, it all began with the British Empire.

When you look at a map of the Middle East, you are looking at a map drawn by two Europeans by the names of Sykes and Picot. This map represents the betrayal of the Arabs and the Kurds. Before this map was drawn, the area had been part of the Ottoman Empire. (That's Turkey, for those of you who hate history and geography.)

The British, with their usual perfidy, had promised everything to everybody. Help us overthrow the Turks, they said to the Arabs, and you can have an independent Arab nation afterward. Help us overthrow the Turks, they said to the Kurds, and you will get an independent Kurdistan. And for some reason historians still argue about, they also promised European Zionists that they (the Brits) would establish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. They betrayed them, too, because what they did was establish the Palestine mandate — or, in plain language, British occupation of Palestine.

Britain and France divided the Middle East between themselves, and this basic fact set off the conflicts we are still dealing with. The problem with establishing a Jewish state was that Arabs already occupied the area chosen. While they initially had no quarrel with Jews who wanted to immigrate to Palestine (the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has nothing to do with religion and never has), as soon as they figured out that European Jews were not coming to be Palestinians but to take their land away from them, the Arabs revolted. The British crushed this.

It wasn't too long, however, before Jews became impatient with British occupation and so, to drive out the British, did what Palestinians are doing today — used terror. Two of the premier Jewish terrorists — Menachem Begin, who led the Irgun, and Yitzhak Shamir, who led the Stern Gang — would later become prime ministers of Israel. It is the political parties these terrorists started that rule Israel today. Begin is famous for blowing up the King David Hotel, Shamir for reputedly ordering the assassination of Swedish diplomat Count Folke Bernadotte, who had been sent on a peace mission by the United Nations. Both of their groups joined forces to commit one of the most infamous massacres in history at the little village of Deir Yassin, where more than 200 men, women and children were slaughtered. Much of modern terrorist methods were pioneered by Begin. You should read his book "The Revolt."

Sometime in 1947, the British had had enough of Palestine and announced they were going to end the mandate the following year and dump the problem in the lap of the United Nations. The Zionists fiercely lobbied both Harry Truman and Joe Stalin. The deal was to get a vote to partition Palestine. The Jews would immediately proclaim the state of Israel, and, as preplanned, the United States and the Soviet Union would instantly recognize it. This was the first instance of the United States using a combination of threats and bribery to round up votes at the United Nations.

Jews and Palestinians were already fighting, and in the course of that fighting, the better-organized Zionists decided to expand beyond the boundaries set by the partition resolution and to do a little ethnic cleansing, since Arabs still outnumbered Jewish residents 2-1. Despite some volunteers coming in from other Arab countries, the Zionists had accomplished both goals by the cease-fire in 1948. In a 1967 war, the Zionists took the rest of Palestine, and Palestinians, who stubbornly insist on self-determination (once, but no longer, an American value), are fighting them the best way they can.

With the United States loading the Israelis down with both modern arms and billions of dollars, however, the Palestinians are having a hard time. This issue has made the United States hated in the region and the king of hypocrites because we have vetoed 35 U.N. resolutions to prevent the international community from giving any justice or help to the Palestinians.

Now, our president has included Palestinian organizations that are not international terrorists (Hamas, Islamic Jihad and Hezbollah) on our list of enemies. Originally, they were just aiming their attacks at Israel, but I suppose this might change since George Bush has become the puppet of the Israeli government.

Hang on to your hats, folks. You're in for a violent next 50 years or so.

http://reese.king-online.com/Reese_20030409/index.php
© 2003 by King Features Syndicate, Inc.
this post is quite biased....so, what you do now is assume (by saying shamir and bigin started the terrorism) that it started around 1945.....
ahem....what (for example about the slaughtering of the jews in 1929 in hebron), you also seem to forget that if you look at a map of palestina before 1923 you'll get not only israel but also jordanie.....the brits DID give half to the jews and half to the palestinians......but then the palestinians changed the name of the state, and so now they van say again "we have no land".......sorry but that's not correct, ok I'm for an honest division of israel in two....but in this post you clearly choose one side and (deliberately?) "forget" that the two sides have their points!

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
rand--i know the other viewpoint b/c as one on this board knows I always took the side of Israel on everything but have come to the realization I may have not seen things as they should have been seen
empiremaker03 is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by empiremaker03
rand--i know the other viewpoint b/c as one on this board knows I always took the side of Israel on everything but have come to the realization I may have not seen things as they should have been seen
it doesn't seem so....this post is clearly partial....
both sides have been wrong troughout the history, what you do now is a classic case of easy israel-bashing......maybe you used to defend them but it doesn't change a thing about this post......

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenita
Geez, I feel like a real stalker now Rand, for Mr.EmpireMaker every issue is either black or white. There are no grays for him in the world. If he supports one idea, the other is the worst evil. If he changes his mind, guess the opposite happens
arwenita, I feel honoured to have my personal stalker

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
"Israel is the only free country in a region dominated by Arab monarchies, theocracies and dictatorships. It is only the citizens of Israel—Arabs and Jews alike—who enjoy the right to express their views, to criticize their government, to form political parties, to publish private newspapers, to hold free elections. When Arab authorities deny the most basic freedoms to their own people, it is obscene for them to start claiming that Israel is violating the Palestinians' rights. All Arab citizens who are genuinely concerned with human rights should, as their very first action, seek to oust their own despotic rulers and adopt the type of free society that characterizes Israel."

"Since its founding in 1948, Israel has had to fight five wars—all in self-defense—against 22 hostile Arab dictatorships, and has been repeatedly attacked by Palestinian terrorists. Arafat is responsible for the kidnapping and murder of Israeli schoolchildren, the hijacking of airliners and the car bombings and death-squad killings of thousands of Israeli, American, Lebanese and Palestinian civilians. Today he ardently sponsors such terror groups as Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the al Aksa Brigade.
The land Israel is "occupying" was captured in a war initiated by its Arab neighbors. Like any victim of aggression, Israel has a moral right to control as much land as is necessary to safeguard itself against attack. The Palestinians want to annihilate Israel, while Israel wants simply to be left alone. If there is a moral failing on Israel's part, it consists of its reluctance to take stronger military measures. If it is right for America to bomb al-Qaeda strongholds in Afghanistan—and it is—then it is equally justifiable for Israel to bomb the terrorist strongholds in the occupied territories."

"Only Israel has a moral right to establish a government in that area—on the grounds, not of some ethnic or religious heritage, but of a secular, rational principle. Only a state based on political and economic freedom has moral legitimacy. Contrary to what the Palestinians are seeking, there can be no "right" to establish a dictatorship.
As to the rightful owners of particular pieces of property, Israel's founders—like the homesteaders in the American West—earned ownership to the land by developing it. They arrived in a desolate, sparsely populated region and drained the swamps, irrigated the desert, grew crops and built cities. They worked unclaimed land or purchased it from the owners. They introduced industry, libraries, hospitals, art galleries, universities-and the concept of individual rights. Those Arabs who abandoned their land in order to join the military crusade against Israel forfeited all right to their property. And if there are any peaceful Arabs who were forcibly evicted from their property, they may press their claims in the courts of Israel, which, unlike the Arab autocracies, has an independent, objective judiciary—a judiciary that recognizes the principle of property rights."

there, now I posted viewpoints supporting Israel and their defense of homeland courtesy of the Ayn Rand Institute--albeit biased as well
empiremaker03 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenita
Geez, I feel like a real stalker now Rand, for Mr.EmpireMaker every issue is either black or white. There are no grays for him in the world. If he supports one idea, the other is the worst evil. If he changes his mind, guess the opposite happens
just like i changed my mind about you right?
empiremaker03 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by empiremaker03
"Israel is the only free country in a region dominated by Arab monarchies, theocracies and dictatorships. It is only the citizens of Israel—Arabs and Jews alike—who enjoy the right to express their views, to criticize their government, to form political parties, to publish private newspapers, to hold free elections. When Arab authorities deny the most basic freedoms to their own people, it is obscene for them to start claiming that Israel is violating the Palestinians' rights. All Arab citizens who are genuinely concerned with human rights should, as their very first action, seek to oust their own despotic rulers and adopt the type of free society that characterizes Israel."

"Since its founding in 1948, Israel has had to fight five wars—all in self-defense—against 22 hostile Arab dictatorships, and has been repeatedly attacked by Palestinian terrorists. Arafat is responsible for the kidnapping and murder of Israeli schoolchildren, the hijacking of airliners and the car bombings and death-squad killings of thousands of Israeli, American, Lebanese and Palestinian civilians. Today he ardently sponsors such terror groups as Hamas, Islamic Jihad and the al Aksa Brigade.
The land Israel is "occupying" was captured in a war initiated by its Arab neighbors. Like any victim of aggression, Israel has a moral right to control as much land as is necessary to safeguard itself against attack. The Palestinians want to annihilate Israel, while Israel wants simply to be left alone. If there is a moral failing on Israel's part, it consists of its reluctance to take stronger military measures. If it is right for America to bomb al-Qaeda strongholds in Afghanistan—and it is—then it is equally justifiable for Israel to bomb the terrorist strongholds in the occupied territories."

"Only Israel has a moral right to establish a government in that area—on the grounds, not of some ethnic or religious heritage, but of a secular, rational principle. Only a state based on political and economic freedom has moral legitimacy. Contrary to what the Palestinians are seeking, there can be no "right" to establish a dictatorship.
As to the rightful owners of particular pieces of property, Israel's founders—like the homesteaders in the American West—earned ownership to the land by developing it. They arrived in a desolate, sparsely populated region and drained the swamps, irrigated the desert, grew crops and built cities. They worked unclaimed land or purchased it from the owners. They introduced industry, libraries, hospitals, art galleries, universities-and the concept of individual rights. Those Arabs who abandoned their land in order to join the military crusade against Israel forfeited all right to their property. And if there are any peaceful Arabs who were forcibly evicted from their property, they may press their claims in the courts of Israel, which, unlike the Arab autocracies, has an independent, objective judiciary—a judiciary that recognizes the principle of property rights."

there, now I posted viewpoints supporting Israel and their defense of homeland courtesy of the Ayn Rand Institute--albeit biased as well
but this one is plainly ridiculous because not even based on facts......israel a real democracy? where arabic people aren't allowed to start their own party? nah
all of the wars in self-defense? nah
two biased posts each based on lies do not make one unbiased one.....
certainly when one of them (the second one) is too obvious.....

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
rand, i think the main point from Mr. Reese is the folly of empire and the consequences from such...we are led to believe the taking over Iraq is going to produce nothing but democracy and peace throughout the world and we all should hail Mr. Bush & Co. for taking the risk to establish such...when he concludes with :"Hang on to your hats, folks. You're in for a violent next 50 years or so."; that is what I am fearful of
empiremaker03 is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 618
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenita
U said it...
at least u made it easy for me with your hatred of everything about me
empiremaker03 is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Senior Member
 
rand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Belgium
Posts: 5,966
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by empiremaker03
rand, i think the main point from Mr. Reese is the folly of empire and the consequences from such...we are led to believe the taking over Iraq is going to produce nothing but democracy and peace throughout the world and we all should hail Mr. Bush & Co. for taking the risk to establish such...when he concludes with :"Hang on to your hats, folks. You're in for a violent next 50 years or so."; that is what I am fearful of
Look, then the only thing you have to do is point out your fear, btw, it is one that I have focused on a lot during the war.....but it's no reason to put the israeli in a complete "oppressor empire situation" like you just did.....

They're coming to get you Barbara!
rand is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: You bet!
Posts: 1,992
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rand
but this one is plainly ridiculous because not even based on facts......israel a real democracy? where arabic people aren't allowed to start their own party? nah
all of the wars in self-defense? nah
two biased posts each based on lies do not make one unbiased one.....
certainly when one of them (the second one) is too obvious.....
If Arabs are not allowed to start their own party, how do you explain the fact that there are Arab Palestinians in the Knesset representing exactly that - Arab parties? Right now.

I would also like to see you list as much as one war started by Israel for other purposes than self-defense, which has been the paramount challenge of the Jewish state since its inception.
Iconoclast is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,674
                     
Ah-but Iconoclast-correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Arabs in the Knesset Israeli citizens, which entails recognizing the Israeli state in some way, shape or form? For most Arabs in Israel that's not a viable option.

As a US citizen I find our unquestioned support of Israel horrible. Americans were (are) clueless as to why 911 happened or why we are hated in the Arab world. Peace in the region, with an Israeli-Jewish state
and a Palestinian state, is the only way to true peace IMO.

Until a settlement this issue Europe and America will be targets of terrorism without doubt.

Even then the Osama-like people may still want to destroy us. Muslims see oppression of fellow Muslims everywhere they look, see "Western" influence as Satan, and see terrorism as an answer. It's a culture war that holds no easy answers. Europe will be targeted sooner or later even without "cowboy" George Bush. It's inevitable, just as war was inevitable in the 1930s and people chose to bury there heads in the sand.
Rollo is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: You bet!
Posts: 1,992
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Ah-but Iconoclast-correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Arabs in the Knesset Israeli citizens, which entails recognizing the Israeli state in some way, shape or form? For most Arabs in Israel that's not a viable option.
Most Arabs in Israel recognize the Israeli state, but they are not obliged to do so in order to keep their citizenship. In fact, some radical orthodox Jews would face problems if this was a demand as they have difficulty accepting the state of Israel for religious reasons (the Zionists of the 19th century were mostly secular).

And the Arabs in Israel, a group that includes Christians, Bedouins, and Druids as well, overwhelmingly want to stay in Israel, rather than live in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, Egypt, or the West Bank. This doesn't mean they support Sharon, of course. Many of them align themselves with the Labor party. But as far as recognizing Israel, I think only an extreme minority would be reluctant to do so. Even the PLO has recognized Israel.

But in running for parliament they have to abide by the Basic Law of Knesset. One of its sections stipulates that political parties are not allowed to be nazis, anti-democrats, or - this is the important one - against Israel as the state of the Jewish people. The section applies to anyone - but it would of course prevent Hamas or similar groups from running. Does this mean that Israel is not a democracy? Of course not.

It merely prevents extremists, who do not accept the basic nature of Israel, from running for office and dismantling the state. On aggregrate, Israel is among the most democratized nations in the world.
Quote:
Peace in the region, with an Israeli-Jewish state
and a Palestinian state, is the only way to true peace IMO.
Which is what Ariel Sharon supports as well. Whether or not it brings peace is a different matter. But I'm actually growing more optimistic with the recent changes in the PA.
Iconoclast is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 20,674
                     
Thanks for the info and the correction Iconoclast. So accepting the state of Israel isn't the reason most Arabs aren't citizens.

However, the fact remains that most Arabs within the state of Israel
are not citizens of that state. I wasn't suggesting that Israel wasn't democratic. I agree with you that it's the most democratic regime in the area. It's not a one person, one vote regardless of religion or ethnic background state though, or Arabs would simply become citizens and wait until they outnumber Jews. You hit the nail on the head with this:

Quote:
this is the important one - against Israel as the state of the Jewish people

We can only hope both sides will eventually compromise. I don't see that happening though until the US gives up it's solid alliance with Israel and the building of Jewish settlements stops. Then of course there will still be Arabs determined to destroy Israel that we have to stop. It's a long road, and I just hope a madman doesn't blow up New York (or Tel Aviv, or London, Paris, etc) before it's resolved.

BTW, here's an interesting article that shows where Israel could be in 20 years-with an Arab majority.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...8/181802.shtml
Rollo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome