Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Do those chicks always do that because this has only made the Spanish media? Or do the Anglo-phone media just want to focus on Russians who hate gays and not others.
i saw nick symmonds retwitted the pic of the kiss
give it some hours and it will be on another countries also

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Man Frank View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

However when you suggest something as ignorant as she did, you deserve to be criticised for it.

She should be hounded out of athletics and be made to film lesbian porno's for the rest of her life.
this

i mean, she can have that opinion, but we shouldnt have her as youth olympics ambassador. she will teach the children how to be standard normal homophobic children or what?
not the person i would like to have as a role model for the children with what she said....

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
post #123 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphop26 View Post
Ok, ok, agree on that one.
But... I just wonder what impact has such actions like the one done by Swedish high-jumpers, statement coming from Symmonds, boycotting russian vodka, on daily life of russian gays?
Do you really think that expressing the nice and kind words of solidarity with them is the way to help them?
Do you think that those actions made by worldwide would make their lives better? Because I don't think so, things can get even worse for them, because they will be blamed for that.
When they wanted to legalise same-sex partnerships in Poland, you can heard unusual ammount of hating comments everywhere - coming from politicians, priests, actors, usual people who are commenting articles in the internet. I have never heard that many bad things in my life, I have heard in one week.
Eastern Europe is pretty much different than Western - communism did its job, and there are only some exceptions like the Czech Republic which is the most open minded country in that region.
So to me all those actions are nice, but they don't cause any improvement, and I am really starting to think, that the best solution is inviting Russians under our own roofs.
i think being against this law and boycot of russian vodka, yeah it helps life of russian gays. the only way to help them is remove this law. and these are ways to try to do the russian reconsider this!!!!

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
post #124 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Rise up from ignorance
 
Monzanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,081
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xepher View Post
I can still care about human rights when it happens. So what's your point here?
My point is that the fact gay people can't marry in Russia is not the most important problem of the modern world. Reading some comments indicating otherwise in this thread hardly makes my day plus all those experts telling what Isinbayeva should or shouldn't be talking about

Maria Sharapova: Mind Over Matter
FITD: Winner - Portoroz '10, Tashkent '11, Istanbul YEC '11; Suicide: Winner - Fes '11, Memphis '12, Nuernberg '13, Sofia TOC '13, Hobart '15, Tianjin '15, Zhuhai ET '15, Tianjin '16
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent '12; ITF Macon '16, Stockton '16, Scottsdale '16 (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14, Hong Kong 25k '16
Monzanator is offline  
post #125 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

the fact is not they cant marry but they can even walk on the street...

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
post #126 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 19,981
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Wow Congrats to those girls. Now that is a statement.
Why are people so sure this was a statement?




"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline  
post #127 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Rise up from ignorance
 
Monzanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,081
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombrerero loco View Post
the fact is not they cant marry but they can even walk on the street...
Since the topic is pretty much settled, there's nothing that anyone can do about it anyway. Why bother?

Maria Sharapova: Mind Over Matter
FITD: Winner - Portoroz '10, Tashkent '11, Istanbul YEC '11; Suicide: Winner - Fes '11, Memphis '12, Nuernberg '13, Sofia TOC '13, Hobart '15, Tianjin '15, Zhuhai ET '15, Tianjin '16
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent '12; ITF Macon '16, Stockton '16, Scottsdale '16 (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14, Hong Kong 25k '16
Monzanator is offline  
post #128 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 148
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
My point is that the fact gay people can't marry in Russia is not the most important problem of the modern world. Reading some comments indicating otherwise in this thread hardly makes my day plus all those experts telling what Isinbayeva should or shouldn't be talking about
In effect you are saying no issue is worth discussing as there will always be bigger problems in the world.

Very helpful.
Wing Man Frank is offline  
post #129 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Rise up from ignorance
 
Monzanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,081
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

No, there's no bigger problem in the world than war & famine

Maria Sharapova: Mind Over Matter
FITD: Winner - Portoroz '10, Tashkent '11, Istanbul YEC '11; Suicide: Winner - Fes '11, Memphis '12, Nuernberg '13, Sofia TOC '13, Hobart '15, Tianjin '15, Zhuhai ET '15, Tianjin '16
TT: Winner - (Singles) Tashkent '12; ITF Macon '16, Stockton '16, Scottsdale '16 (Doubles) - (w/Broseghini) Cuneo 100k '10; (w/Peek-A-Boo) Contrexeville 50k '10; (w/JustPetko) Bucharest 75k '10, Nantes 50k '10, Marbella '11, Washington '11, Linz '11, Istanbul YEC '11, Opole 25K '11, Pattaya City '12, Tashkent '12, Pune 125k '12, Memphis '13, Carlsbad '13, Marrakech '14, Washington '14, Hong Kong 25k '16
Monzanator is offline  
post #130 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 15,796
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Monzanator, your contributions to debates on homosexuality are always mind-numbingly stupid. I actually feel braincells dying when I read your posts. You are the Goldenlox of gay rights debates.
dsanders06 is offline  
post #131 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:46 PM
*Sesil*
 
KournikovaFan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Éire
Posts: 19,793
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Yeah a few more media outlets are reporting the kiss now, also people saying it may have meant nothing, just because they girls don't give a press conference doesn't mean it isn't a statement. I think it would be very coincidental for this to occur a when all this LGBT drama is going down don't you???

Having high profile Russians support this is way more productive that Westerners pontificating.
KournikovaFan91 is offline  
post #132 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
No, there's no bigger problem in the world than war & famine
Agreed. Now, instead of trolling on the Internet, why don't you go solve these problems? Go. Solve. We'll wait.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #133 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
Since the topic is pretty much settled, there's nothing that anyone can do about it anyway. Why bother?
so what? it was the same with black people´s rights, women´s rights, and many other similar issues which were so settled also. if nobody fights, and cares, things will just remain the same

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
post #134 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
wild.river's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,080
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 View Post
Yeah a few more media outlets are reporting the kiss now, also people saying it may have meant nothing, just because they girls don't give a press conference doesn't mean it isn't a statement. I think it would be very coincidental for this to occur a when all this LGBT drama is going down don't you???

Having high profile Russians support this is way more productive that Westerners pontificating.
yeah, it's on yahoo homepage now and i agree. this was way more powerful than anything symmonds or any swedes could have said or done.
wild.river is offline  
post #135 of 162 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sombrerero loco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 44,218
                     
Re: Nick Symmonds, silver medallist in 800m, dedicates medal to gay people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzanator View Post
No, there's no bigger problem in the world than war & famine
so, we shouldnt care about anything else than that, right?
or maybe we shouldnt care about war and famine because they are "pretty much settled" as you said?

Alize Cornet- Agi Radwanska- Caro Wozniacki

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome