Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts? - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,351
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisation View Post
Seriously, there's no point arguing with you. There's a reason why universities often favor blacks and Hispanics for acceptance in higher education, because they are underrepresented. I suggest you read this article and you will have a better understanding of what I'm talking about. I also sat on the panel of pharmacists and professors (yes I also have a doctor of pharmacy degree) at Pacific University a few years back during the interview and candidate selection process, so I'd like to think I have a clue of what I'm talking about when I say universities are pressured into diversifying their school and pushing for blacks and Hispanics acceptance because they are underrepresented, and when I say underrepresented, I mean they do not pursue higher education.

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/orig...es_asians.html
Some advice: Try to focus your arguments to a couple salient points. This will prevent you from going all over the place and not making sense.
I see now you have moved to using the push to ameliorate underrepresentation in medicine/healthcare as 'proof' of 'blacks in general' not wanting to pursue higher education. This is even worse than your previous evidence for reasons I won't go into here. I know all about URM status but don't want to derail this thread.
I asked you a question on the first page of this thread to help you think for yourself about why there isn't a higher percentage of blacks in higher education.
As with most things in life, the answer is more complex than your 'blacks are lazy!!!!' diatribe

To be clear, I do not condone absolution of personal responsibility, I just understand that there is a lot more to it than 'stop being lazy'.
semprelibera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,006
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

This thread has only strengthened my resolve to complete my doctorate, so that I can afford some good health insurance and not have somebody like tennisation as my physician.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #63 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,782
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

^
Novichok is offline  
post #64 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:14 AM
Senior Member
 
iWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,683
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
This thread has only strengthened my resolve to complete my doctorate, so that I can afford some good health insurance and not have somebody like tennisation as my physician.
Sad but true!

I'm thinking of reconsidering this LSAT and Law School thing because I think if I don't pursue a STEM career I will have to stand in the unemployment line and beg for food.

**********************

Jameka the G.O.A.T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*

Last edited by iWill; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 07:29 AM.
iWill is offline  
post #65 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,351
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
So the beef is with the few blacks who get into elite institutions, and how they disavantage poor white and Asian students?
The paranoia is alarming. They love to parade stats that show at hgher percentage of blacks accepted to medical school at a certain MCAT/GPA combo than whites (who are higher than asians ). They neglect to mention that there's a lot more to medicine/patient care than being able to recite all the steps of the krebs cycle.
There's also a lot more to a med school app than your mcat and GPA. Anyway I won't derail this thread.
semprelibera is offline  
post #66 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Senior Member
 
iWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,683
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
The paranoia is alarming. They love to parade stats that show at hgher percentage of blacks accepted to medical school at a certain MCAT/GPA combo than whites (who are higher than asians ). They neglect to mention that there's a lot more to medicine/patient care than being able to recite all the steps of the krebs cycle.
There's also a lot more to a med school app than your mcat and GPA. Anyway I won't derail this thread.
You might as well talk about it! Never stopped any one else from derailing a thread

If it were just as simple as standardized test scores and GPA they wouldn't have people do admission interviews and review applications. Instead they would just have a machine spit out all of the admission letters every new school year.

**********************

Jameka the G.O.A.T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline  
post #67 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,351
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
This thread has only strengthened my resolve to complete my doctorate, so that I can afford some good health insurance and not have somebody like tennisation as my physician.
semprelibera is offline  
post #68 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,006
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
Sad but true!

I'm thinking of reconsidering this LSAT and Law School thing because I think if I don't pursue a STEM career I will have to stand in the unemployment line and beg for food.

My friend scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. I wonder whose slot hes gonna take.
He's only kinda black though, so I probably shouldn't count him as an anomaly.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #69 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,782
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post

My friend scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. I wonder whose slot hes gonna take.
He's only kinda black though, so I probably shouldn't count him as an anomaly.
Only the 98th percentile? What an idiot!
Novichok is offline  
post #70 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,006
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novichok View Post
Only the 98th percentile? What an idiot!
Hey! Thats better than Obama could do.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #71 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
iWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 15,683
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post

My friend scored in the 98th percentile on the LSAT. I wonder whose slot hes gonna take.
He's only kinda black though, so I probably shouldn't count him as an anomaly.
Wow so that means he got close to a 174+ he can go anywhere top 25..... Although I'd assume since he's only partly black he may have to settle for whatever spaces Affirmative Action leaves for his kind....

I just can't get over how straight racist some people on this board are...I don't know why, but it still just surprises me that they willingly show their prejudice so openly.

**********************

Jameka the G.O.A.T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline  
post #72 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,923
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
By most indices, I would say that I am the average black person. The only difference is that I have been extremely lucky to have a few good mentors/patrons, and I (for some reason) do well on standardized tests.
Well already that doesn't make you the average black person, and what are these indices. Personally, I think you seem VERY different from the black ppl I know and hang out with in real life, and I'm not talking about tuiton here.
Dominic is offline  
post #73 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,923
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
You and Demonikkk should expose yourself to more black culture than what you see on tv or whatever experience you have had.
I have about 5-6 black or mixed friends who I hang out or talk to regularly (living close to montreal nowadays, I'm exposed to every culture you could think of), who I love dearly and they all go to university or cegep, which is the level after highschool here. You know in life, it will always serve you to get your facts straight before babbling stupidities.
Dominic is offline  
post #74 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
wild.river's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,080
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
The paranoia is alarming. They love to parade stats that show at hgher percentage of blacks accepted to medical school at a certain MCAT/GPA combo than whites (who are higher than asians ). They neglect to mention that there's a lot more to medicine/patient care than being able to recite all the steps of the krebs cycle.
There's also a lot more to a med school app than your mcat and GPA. Anyway I won't derail this thread.
not just med school. college, law school, business school, etc. also have lower "statistical" requirements for blacks and hispanics than asians.
which i don't necessarily begrudge because a school tries to maximize the success of alumni base which they can't do by taking the same types of people.

having a white dad and indian mom, when i had to answer the race question on my college apps, i was universally advised to put myself down as white and neglect the asian part unless i was making my personal essays a tale of courage in growing up biracial, which i didn't do.
wild.river is offline  
post #75 of 204 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,727
                     
Re: Racism and sexism are killing the US economy. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Will2 View Post
Wow so that means he got close to a 174+ he can go anywhere top 25..... Although I'd assume since he's only partly black he may have to settle for whatever spaces Affirmative Action leaves for his kind....

I just can't get over how straight racist some people on this board are...I don't know why, but it still just surprises me that they willingly show their prejudice so openly.
But it's not openly. It seems to me that only people who have grown up with the anonymous nature of the internet think that someone hiding behind a screen name is doing anything "openly". It's not as if we have their real names, addresses and photos here.

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare

Some say that youth is wasted on the young. I disagree. I think that wisdom is wasted on the old. All you can do is give it away and the ones that need it want no part of it. Especially those you are closest to. Raymond Reddington
HippityHop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome