Condit files slander lawsuit
Congressman accuses Dunne of lying about his relationship with intern Levy
NEW YORK, Dec. 16 — Former Rep. Gary Condit sued Dominick Dunne for $11 million Monday, claiming the author slandered him in interviews about the Chandra Levy case.
Dunne “made false and defamatory statements accusing (Condit) of involvement in the crimes of kidnapping and murder,” the federal lawsuit says.
The suit cites radio, television and newspaper interviews in which Dunne linked Condit to the disappearance of Levy in May 2001.
“I don’t think he killed her,” Dunne allegedly said. “I think he could have known it was going to happen.”
The California Democrat reportedly told investigators he was having an affair with Levy, a former intern at the Bureau of Prisons whose remains eventually were found in Rock Creek Park in Washington.
But he denied any involvement in her disappearance, and police never named him as a suspect.
Dunne “transformed an allegation of sexual misconduct into criminal accusations,” said Condit’s attorney, L. Lin Wood.
Condit, whose re-election bid failed earlier this year, plans to file similar suits against other defendants, Wood said.
A call to Dunne was not immediately returned.
Dunne is a frequent commentator about the legal troubles of the rich and famous. He writes a column for Vanity Fair magazine and hosts his own series on Court TV.
Condit is seeking at least $1 million in compensatory and $10 million in punitive damages.
© 2002 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.