What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
-
 
Elwin.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Delft
Posts: 26,827
                     
What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Short clip of 3 minutes. Y'all may not understand the comments but the nasty looks etc. say it all. Filmed in Belgium, so comments in Dutch/French. Unfortunately this happens everywhere in Europe etc.
I'm not trying to bash groups. (Muslims in this case). Want to raise a bit more awareness. This is Belgium, a country that has same sex marriage.
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6429...en_homo_s.html

Krajicek Bertens Wickmayer Jankovic Kerber Svitolina Hogenkamp de Vroome Flipkens Kerkhove Burger Rus Rezai Bacsinszky / Lena D. missing you

Last edited by Elwin.; Dec 17th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Elwin. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Gagsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 10,344
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Teens are teens

Sommes-nous vivants ou sommes-nous morts ?
Gagsy is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
country flag ce
Senior Member
 
ce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Belgrade
Posts: 17,746
                     
When child shouts HOMOS hahahaha. But really, this is quite sad. But if you would try that here in Serbia you would probably get beaten to death o_O

1.
ce is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,825
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

There are people of ignorance, bigoted and homophobes all over the world - in every single country. It's very sad to encounter but this is the world we live in.

Although these kind of people disgust me, I try to remind myself from time to time that I'm not perfect and that everyone including myself has their prejudices. Some people's prejudices are more harmful than others though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Flavia P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 3,484
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Elwin, let's call it exactly what it is. Immigrants in Europe have created a culture of homophobia that didn't exist a few years ago. Yes, there are nationalized homophobes in these countries. But the same thing has been happening in Canada. Immigrants from Middle Eastern countries, immigrants from Eastern Europe and Africa, naturalized citizens from cultures that are homophobic, they have actually made things worse and more dangerous for gays in countries that were previously very pro-gay and accepting.

We need to call things what they are.

Don't Wanna Be An American Idiot.
Flavia P. is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 83,595
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Is this just an experiment in which the two blonde guys are just pretending to be homos or what? It takes a hell lot of guts to do that tbh.

and not surprising with the reactions, some may be disgusted (usually the conservative ones), some may be laughing (who are immature) and some just look as if they're still in the 1950s.
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Senior Member
 
ElusiveChanteuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 83,595
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Oh hey and Chrono, where are you?
ElusiveChanteuse is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
La Divina Assoluta
 
The Dawntreader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,123
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post

Although these kind of people disgust me, I try to remind myself from time to time that I'm not perfect and that everyone including myself has their prejudices. Some people's prejudices are more harmful than others though.
And most people's prejudices are incredibly unfounded. That is basically the crux of homophobic/racial prejudices.
The Dawntreader is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 24,844
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia P. View Post
Elwin, let's call it exactly what it is. Immigrants in Europe have created a culture of homophobia that didn't exist a few years ago. Yes, there are nationalized homophobes in these countries. But the same thing has been happening in Canada. Immigrants from Middle Eastern countries, immigrants from Eastern Europe and Africa, naturalized citizens from cultures that are homophobic, they have actually made things worse and more dangerous for gays in countries that were previously very pro-gay and accepting.

We need to call things what they are.
if we need to call things the way they are, then i'll call your post the way that i see it. pure garbage.

i'm not denying that people from certain backgrounds (muslim, african, eastern european) may be more likely to have ignorant attitudes towards homosexuality, but to say that immigrants have "created a culture of homophobia that didn't exist a few years ago" is utter nonsense. for a start, political parties are now MORE likely to support gay rights, rather than less likely, because the political backlash won't be so great as it was some years ago when (i'm sure you would argue) there was less immigration. secondly, calling western countries "pro-gay" and "accepting" when barely any of them have until recently acknowledged homosexual relationships as legally equal with heterosexual ones is bizarre. and finally, picking on immigrants to these countries is insane, given the attitude of Christian churches towards homosexuality. it is always seen as a sin, often viewed as an "illness" and people in positions of power in charitable Christian organisations (eg salvation Army)have implicitly called for gays to be wiped out.

your post makes it sound as though you fall into the ridiculous category of person who blames immigrants for every problem the world has.

Come on the Bhoys!
GISELA DULKO

Belinda Bencic Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 04:13 PM
The hottest straight, goth rocker on the board
Admin Emeritus
 
The Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 35,615
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperfect Angel View Post
Is this just an experiment in which the two blonde guys are just pretending to be homos or what? It takes a hell lot of guts to do that tbh.
They're both gay, but not partners. One is a famous radio presenter in Belgium, the other one is head of a gay organization (if I remember correctly). It was done for a report in a Belgian TV program.

Recently, there was another experiment where a Belgian woman who was walking around in a mini skirt was filmed. She also was the victim of several nasty remarks (mainly by immigrants, sad to say).

If only I was sure that my head on the door was a dream
The Crow is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Flavia P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 3,484
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
if we need to call things the way they are, then i'll call your post the way that i see it. pure garbage.

i'm not denying that people from certain backgrounds (muslim, african, eastern european) may be more likely to have ignorant attitudes towards homosexuality, but to say that immigrants have "created a culture of homophobia that didn't exist a few years ago" is utter nonsense. for a start, political parties are now MORE likely to support gay rights, rather than less likely, because the political backlash won't be so great as it was some years ago when (i'm sure you would argue) there was less immigration.
That has nothing to do with immigrants being pro-gay. That has to do with nationalized citizens becoming much more educated on the issue. It also doesn't have much to do with social attitudes. Hate crimes are increasing in Scandinavian countries, in countries such as Belgium and Austria, in the UK, and the biggest drive in the numbers are immigrants from the Middle East and Africa, and naturalized citizens raised in these cultures.

That is the reality.


Quote:
secondly, calling western countries "pro-gay" and "accepting" when barely any of them have until recently acknowledged homosexual relationships as legally equal with heterosexual ones is bizarre.
Many European countries, most of them, have civil partnerships or marriage equality and several for several years. Pro-gay may be the incorrect term but what is a fact is, these countries' governments tend to support gay rights, and the majority of citizens do also. Yet hate crimes are increasing. That is not a coincidence.

Quote:
and finally, picking on immigrants to these countries is insane, given the attitude of Christian churches towards homosexuality. it is always seen as a sin, often viewed as an "illness" and people in positions of power in charitable Christian organisations (eg salvation Army)have implicitly called for gays to be wiped out.
Conservatives are generally horrible too, of course. We all know that. In France and the UK and their countries' marriage battles, the religious fundamentalists have said disgusting things.

But this was about hate crimes and hate crimes in these countries are rising due to immigrants from conservative nations. Am I calling all immigrants homophobic? No. Am I saying they being immigrants is the issue? No. Their culture is the issue. The culture of fundamentalists is the issue. Homophobic culture is homophobic culture and needs to be destroyed.

Don't Wanna Be An American Idiot.
Flavia P. is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 24,844
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia P. View Post
That has nothing to do with immigrants being pro-gay. That has to do with nationalized citizens becoming much more educated on the issue. It also doesn't have much to do with social attitudes. Hate crimes are increasing in Scandinavian countries, in countries such as Belgium and Austria, in the UK, and the biggest drive in the numbers are immigrants from the Middle East and Africa, and naturalized citizens raised in these cultures.

That is the reality.


Many European countries, most of them, have civil partnerships or marriage equality and several for several years. Pro-gay may be the incorrect term but what is a fact is, these countries' governments tend to support gay rights, and the majority of citizens do also. Yet hate crimes are increasing. That is not a coincidence.

Conservatives are generally horrible too, of course. We all know that. In France and the UK and their countries' marriage battles, the religious fundamentalists have said disgusting things.

But this was about hate crimes and hate crimes in these countries are rising due to immigrants from conservative nations. Am I calling all immigrants homophobic? No. Am I saying they being immigrants is the issue? No. Their culture is the issue. The culture of fundamentalists is the issue. Homophobic culture is homophobic culture and needs to be destroyed.
i'm not saying that immigrants are pro-gay and that's why society in general is more tolerant, but the fact is that being gay is more accepted practically everywhere in the 21st century than ever before. i don't have the facts and figures, and doubtless there have been homophobic crimes carred out by immigrants, but while we aren't in an ideal state yet, i simply do not see the "culture of homophobia" which you claim that immigrants have established. don't get me wrong, there is a general culture of homophobia to an extent, but i don't see immigrants adding to that.

there is, however, also a growing anti-immigration culture, and in the wake of 9/11 it isn't uncommon to hear about muslims (or sikhs cos people are too stupid to tell them apart from muslims.....or brazilians whom the police decide look like muslims) and eastern europeans being attacked for no reason. hate crimes like this are up as well, and with the economic crisis and the threat of extreme right wing parties gaining ground, i'd imagine that racism and anti-immigration feeling accounts for more assaults, etc than homophobia.

i don't disagree with you that homophobic culture needs to be destroyed, but that's going to take time. sexism and racism have existed for centuries and still haven't been destroyed. things have improved, but they are still there. essentially, ignorance is the enemy, but i just think that while we have important institutons which still enjoy throwing around words like "perverse" "disgusting" "unnatural" and "evil" together with homosexuality, then it is all too simplistic to blame other cultures.

Come on the Bhoys!
GISELA DULKO

Belinda Bencic Flavia Pennetta Anett Kontaveit Aga Radwanska Tara Moore Sorana Cirstea

MY TWITTER
https://twitter.com/ChrissieBhoy
Chris 84 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Flavia P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Somewhere.
Posts: 3,484
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
i'm not saying that immigrants are pro-gay and that's why society in general is more tolerant, but the fact is that being gay is more accepted practically everywhere in the 21st century than ever before. i don't have the facts and figures, and doubtless there have been homophobic crimes carred out by immigrants, but while we aren't in an ideal state yet, i simply do not see the "culture of homophobia" which you claim that immigrants have established. don't get me wrong, there is a general culture of homophobia to an extent, but i don't see immigrants adding to that.
I didn't say immigrants are the reason for homophobia or have created a homophobic culture in these Western world countries, I said immigrants are the biggest concern in terms of aggressive hatred against gay people to the point of hate assaults and harassment. Conservative Christians are horrendous but they aren't the ones committing hate crimes by and large. Most countries have definitely become increasingly pro-gay, but that's due to naturalized citizens becoming more accepting, and hate crimes are rising even with this increase of acceptance.

Quote:
there is, however, also a growing anti-immigration culture, and in the wake of 9/11 it isn't uncommon to hear about muslims (or sikhs cos people are too stupid to tell them apart from muslims.....or brazilians whom the police decide look like muslims) and eastern europeans being attacked for no reason. hate crimes like this are up as well, and with the economic crisis and the threat of extreme right wing parties gaining ground, i'd imagine that racism and anti-immigration feeling accounts for more assaults, etc than homophobia.
Homophobic hate crimes happen on a level at least 2X more than other forms of hate crimes. Yes, there is a shit ton of racism and anti-immigration hate crimes and that's tragic and ridiculous, but homophobia is different because it's still given somewhat of a pass due to religious beliefs and traditional moral/cultural codes. We're still progressing past the idea it's OK to be homophobic.

Quote:
i don't disagree with you that homophobic culture needs to be destroyed, but that's going to take time. sexism and racism have existed for centuries and still haven't been destroyed. things have improved, but they are still there. essentially, ignorance is the enemy, but i just think that while we have important institutons which still enjoy throwing around words like "perverse" "disgusting" "unnatural" and "evil" together with homosexuality, then it is all too simplistic to blame other cultures.
I agree. They're all the problem. All of them, each and every entity out there that promotes hatred against our community. But I was talking about hate crimes. I don't want you to believe I was saying immigrants are the ONLY people promoting gay hate. Absolutely not. But hate crimes are an issue that is increasing in many countries, and that is primarily due to immigrants and citizens raised in cultures that are homophobic.

Don't Wanna Be An American Idiot.
Flavia P. is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
olivero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,650
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

It's ironic that those reactions were from the Middle East immigrants, while for example in Turkey two guys walking on the street holding hands isn't anything unusual. I know those societies are anti-gay but still it's weird.
olivero is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Helen Lawson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waiting for Shirley
Posts: 19,301
                     
Re: What happens when a gay couple walks through a gay unfriendly neighbourhood?

I just hope in 150 years the current crop of gays isn't still feasting on this for their own gain. It's discrimination against me, I'll own it and it belongs to no one else.

Whitney Houston and her receipts:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...17447&page=324
Helen Lawson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome