6÷2(2+1)=? - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: ?
1. 40 26.85%
9. 99 66.44%
Others.(Please specify.) 2 1.34%
Hard to say. 8 5.37%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Igorche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Third house on the left
Posts: 18,214
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

The basic rule for multiplication and division are:

-Multiplication and division have the same priority
- Addition and subtraction have the same priority
- Multiplication and division have higher priority than the addition and subtraction
- Operations of the same priority are implemented from left to right if there is no brackets to change the priority

and that's the only rule I accept.


By these rules we have:

6:2·(2+1)= 6:2·3=3·3=9


Problem appeared because the obelus ÷. The obelus, the name for the symbol denoting “÷”, is argued by some to represent the division of all terms preceding it by all terms after it. The obelus supposedly separates the two components of the fraction, with the top dot representing the numerator and the bottom dot representing the denominator.

So they count like this:

(6)/(2·(2+1))=6/6=1

But ISO states that the obelus should not be used.


So the answer is 9.

I love my hater he makes me feel greater

My Tennis Tipping Profile

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Igorche is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Pvt. Kovalenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Opportunity
Posts: 1,810
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
The basic rule for multiplication and division are:

-Multiplication and division have the same priority
- Addition and subtraction have the same priority
- Multiplication and division have higher priority than the addition and subtraction
- Operations of the same priority are implemented from left to right if there is no brackets to change the priority

and that's the only rule I accept.


By these rules we have:

6:2·(2+1)= 6:2·3=3·3=9


Problem appeared because the obelus ÷. The obelus, the name for the symbol denoting “÷”, is argued by some to represent the division of all terms preceding it by all terms after it. The obelus supposedly separates the two components of the fraction, with the top dot representing the numerator and the bottom dot representing the denominator.

So they count like this:

(6)/(2·(2+1))=6/6=1

But ISO states that the obelus should not be used.


So the answer is 9.
Case closed..

Moderators, send this thread to oblivion, please??

Vera Zvonareva / Elena Vesnina / Ekaterina Makarova

Svetlana Kuznetsova / Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova / Maria Kirilenko / Valeria Savinykh

Anastasia Myskina / Maria Sharapova / Elena Dementieva
Pvt. Kovalenko is offline  
post #303 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Ksenia.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 9,126
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

9

Source: I'm a math major.

Whatever you do now,
the world still turns.
Ksenia. is offline  
post #304 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,747
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

How many times does this need to be explained. We all know it's 9. Some people are explaining it in such a convoluted way, talking about the "intent" of the author/questioner - seriously? :

It's pretty rudimentary in the UK to be able to solve equations like this while at school. If you wrote 1 as your answer you would get the question wrong and lose the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #305 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,039
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

i have a doubt.....i mean seriously......which is greater quantity 2 or -2? everyone will say 2.....

now when we divide a number(say 100) with the greater number(2), the resulting number should be less than that of what we get when we divide the same number(100) with the lesser number(-2), no?

then why do we get 50 in the first case when diving by the greater quantity(2) and -50 in the second case when dividing by lesser quantity -2?
Start da Game is offline  
post #306 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 36,883
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?


Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #307 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 13,455
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start da Game View Post
i have a doubt.....i mean seriously......which is greater quantity 2 or -2? everyone will say 2.....

now when we divide a number(say 100) with the greater number(2), the resulting number should be less than that of what we get when we divide the same number(100) with the lesser number(-2), no?

then why do we get 50 in the first case when diving by the greater quantity(2) and -50 in the second case when dividing by lesser quantity -2?
Novichok is offline  
post #308 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Igorche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Third house on the left
Posts: 18,214
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Because the function y=1/x have break in 0.

And here is the graphic function 1/x


I love my hater he makes me feel greater

My Tennis Tipping Profile

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Igorche is offline  
post #309 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Start da Game's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,039
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorche View Post
Because the function y=1/x have break in 0.

And here is the graphic function 1/x

then don't treat -2 smaller than +2......-2 is messing with +100 and devaluing it far better than +2......
Start da Game is offline  
post #310 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Igorche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Third house on the left
Posts: 18,214
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

What?

I love my hater he makes me feel greater

My Tennis Tipping Profile

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Igorche is offline  
post #311 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Let's have a kiki!
 
Adrian.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dahoam
Posts: 101,912
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

I have 9 as well and then I realizied this thread has already 21 pages

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
Adrian. is online now  
post #312 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,244
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Please excuse my dear aunt Sally??

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
post #313 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,291
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

9.

Source: Im the smartest bitch on this Forum.
Salve is offline  
post #314 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 36,883
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salve View Post
9.

Source: Im the smartest bitch on this Forum.

Elena Baltacha 1983-2014
Super Dave is offline  
post #315 of 355 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
PimpMePova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,296
                     
Re: 6÷2(2+1)=?

it's nine but I don't understand what's the point of this thread nor why there'd be 21 pages of this ...and with my post I'm increasing it
PimpMePova is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome