Race and Media - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Number19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,953
                     
Race and Media

Since I couldn't bring myself to continuing of the hijacking of the off-court photo thread to respond there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Beyonce's looks are a-dime-a-dozen. Kelly Rowland's beauty runs rings around Beyonce's, but guess who they made the star. Yes, MADE.
I think Beyonce's starpower over Kelly's is more about charisma and being a better singer (not that the latter seems to matter much in pop music theses days.) Something however can definitely be said that her lighter skin, dying her hair lighter probably helped. Even latin singers Shakira and Jennifer Lopez have benefited from this in America's predominately white culture.

alright, go...

Dominika Cibulková · Elena Vesnina · Juan Martín del Potro
Kristýna Plíšková · Gabriela Dabrowski · Naomi Broady · Stefanie Vögele · Lauren Davis · Aleksandra Krunić · Karolina Plíšková

#1 Angelique Kerber · Andrea Petković · Garbiñe Muguruza
Number19 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 28,305
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Since I couldn't bring myself to continuing of the hijacking of the off-court photo thread to respond there:



I think Beyonce's starpower over Kelly's is more about charisma and being a better singer (not that the latter seems to matter much in pop music theses days.) Something however can definitely be said that her lighter skin, dying her hair lighter probably helped. Even latin singers Shakira and Jennifer Lopez have benefited from this in America's predominately white culture.

alright, go...
I won't say much on this subject, because it's not one I'm particularly interested in, but...

Bey was groomed for the lead role and when others threatened to usurp it (LaToya & LaTavia) they were kicked out of the group.

chanda · venus (7) · serena (22) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Member
 
NashaP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 361
                     
Re: Race and Media

Im surprised so many think Kelly is more beautiful than Beyonce. Beyonce's looks are definitely above average. Even without makeup, she looks stunning and you definitely won't see girls like her walking down the street. Kelly's looks are average at best.
NashaP is offline  
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
moby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 14,473
                     
Re: Race and Media

Beyonce sings better and looks better, and has the machine behind her.
This is independent of her skin colour.

A single flow'r he sent me, since we met./All tenderly his messenger he chose;
Deep-hearted, pure, with scented dew still wet - One perfect rose.
I knew the language of the floweret;/'My fragile leaves,' it said, 'his heart enclose.'
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Golden State Of Mind
 
StarDuvallGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,549
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashaP View Post
Im surprised so many think Kelly is more beautiful than Beyonce. Beyonce's looks are definitely above average. Even without makeup, she looks stunning and you definitely won't see girls like her walking down the street. Kelly's looks are average at best.
The idea that you would be surprised any number of people find Kelly more beautiful is a problem in itself. What also is the average beauty?

With the problematic posts that started this discussion in General Messages, there is beauty in Serena as there is in Maria and likewise with Kelly and Beyonce. Serena may not fit a European standard of beauty but that does not mean she's ugly and as with Kelly, this confusion on how anyone could find them pretty or even more attractive han someone else shows problems particularly with racial perception of beauty when the standaed is European let alone colorism within the black community. Being an Asian female, I've experienced and seen stuff that took me well into my college years to accept my own and others beauty so this is a serious issue. One which ticks me off when bullshit about looks is brought up by simplistic idiots.

22...



StarDuvallGrant is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Rolling-Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,870
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Since I couldn't bring myself to continuing of the hijacking of the off-court photo thread to respond there:

I think Beyonce's starpower over Kelly's is more about charisma and being a better singer (not that the latter seems to matter much in pop music theses days.) Something however can definitely be said that her lighter skin, dying her hair lighter probably helped. Even latin singers Shakira and Jennifer Lopez have benefited from this in America's predominately white culture.

alright, go...
This is not restricted to the USA. The same can be found in South America, where the fixation on the lighter complexion does benefit people like Shakira. Not that she would not be successful. But when you have a singer who is a light skinned latina, surrounded by all black/moreno/morena backup singers and dancers, then you clearly have an issue (though unspoken) that remains. The below still prevails in Hollywood and the music industry.

Brown paper bag test
The phrase “brown paper bag test” has traditionally been used by African Americans throughout the twentieth and twenty-first century with reference to a ritual once practiced by certain African-American sororities and fraternities who would not let anyone into the group whose skin tone was darker than a paper bag.[12] Also known as a paper bag party, these lighter-skinned social circles reflected an idea of exclusion and exclusiveness. The notion of the “paper bag” has carried a complex and obscure meaning in black communities for many decades.[12] The reason for the usage of the "paper bag" is because the color of the paper bag is considered to be the "center" marker of blackness that distinguishes “light skin” from “dark skin” on a continuum stretching infinitely from black to white.[12] Also, the brown paper bag is believed to act as a benchmark for certain levels of acceptance and inclusion.[12] Spike Lee's film School Daze satirized this practice at historically black colleges and universities.[13] Along with the "paper bag test," guidelines for acceptance among the lighter ranks included the "comb test" and “pencil test,” which tested the coarseness of one's hair, and the "flashlight test," which tested a person's profile to make sure their features measured up or were close enough to those of the Caucasian race.[12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrim..._on_skin_color
Rolling-Thunder is offline  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,014
                     
Re: Race and Media

A serious discussion of this issue predicated on whether Beyonce is prettier than Kelly? No.

Can we have a real discussion about this and not that fluff? The thread should be titled "White Supremacy and its effects on standards of Beauty", not Race and Media.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Senior Member
 
kwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 8,888
                     
Re: Race and Media

I always thought Kelly was by some measure the least attactive memeber of DC. I though Beyonce, Kelly, La Toya, La Tavia and Farrah were all more attractive. However, Kelly looks a lot better than she used to. Kelly might be darker but I'd say her features are a bit more European than Beyonce's.

Anyway, no one was going to be a bigger star than Beyonce. She had the drive, the confidence, the ego, much of the talent and she had the right people behind her. Plus she made sure she did the bulk of the singing. Remember how Michelle only got three lines to sing in "Emotion" but it was one of the songs that was supposed to show that they were a "group." I always loved Michelle. She had such an interesting voice, really quite unique. She was beautiful but in a simple, understated, girl-next-door kinda way. She always seemed very nice too. Although, I've since heard she's a bit ghetto and has been known to start fights in bars/clubs!

I loved Beyonce in the DC days but started to hate her because I couldn't ignore how the group was basically "hers."

Venus Williams
Serena Williams




http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Senior Bitch.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wanderstruck
Posts: 10,742
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBV. View Post
A serious discussion of this issue predicated on whether Beyonce is prettier than Kelly? No.

Can we have a real discussion about this and not that fluff? The thread should be titled "White Supremacy and its effects on standards of Beauty", not Race and Media.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Shall we start with the multinational corporations that profit from a plethora of skin whitening products (including nipple and anus whitening creams) because of the prejudices against darker skinned people in countries across the world (because lighter skin is frequently seen as being the standard of beauty and even impacts job availability in countries like the Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia)?
ampers& is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Patoranking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 13,273
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams View Post
I always thought Kelly was by some measure the least attactive memeber of DC. I though Beyonce, Kelly, La Toya, La Tavia and Farrah were all more attractive. However, Kelly looks a lot better than she used to. Kelly might be darker but I'd say her features are a bit more European than Beyonce's.

Anyway, no one was going to be a bigger star than Beyonce. She had the drive, the confidence, the ego, much of the talent and she had the right people behind her. Plus she made sure she did the bulk of the singing. Remember how Michelle only got three lines to sing in "Emotion" but it was one of the songs that was supposed to show that they were a "group." I always loved Michelle. She had such an interesting voice, really quite unique. She was beautiful but in a simple, understated, girl-next-door kinda way. She always seemed very nice too. Although, I've since heard she's a bit ghetto and has been known to start fights in bars/clubs!

I loved Beyonce in the DC days but started to hate her because I couldn't ignore how the group was basically "hers."
at kelly 'looking better' over the years and having more european features - thats probably got something to do with the plastic surgery she got to look European

Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?
Patoranking is offline  
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Patoranking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nairobi
Posts: 13,273
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. Shall we start with the multinational corporations that profit from a plethora of skin whitening products (including nipple and anus whitening creams) because of the prejudices against darker skinned people in countries across the world (because lighter skin is frequently seen as being the standard of beauty and even impacts job availability in countries like the Philippines, Thailand, and Indonesia)?
you say it like its brand new information. Did you just learn this with your newfound worldliness and consequent authority over all things THE PHILLiPINES

Is there any creature on earth as unfortunate as an ugly woman?
Patoranking is offline  
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Race and Media

racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenya president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox

Did I miss anything?
Wigglytuff is offline  
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 11:19 AM
JN
Senior Member
 
JN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 28,305
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglytuff View Post
racism is dead, it died when MLK walked on a bridge and freed the slaves. Now we have a socialist Kenya president who is not an American and if anyone mentions race they are a reverse racist (while racism is dead, reverse racism is alive and well.) #whattheyteachyouatfox

Did I miss anything?

Knock. Knock. Knock. Mrs. Bachmann, are you in there?

chanda · venus (7) · serena (22) · ana (1) · vera · na (2) · domi

Obama Derangement Syndrome is one of many Scourges Destroying Society.
Have pity for and hug the tormented, today.
JN is offline  
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Senior Bitch.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wanderstruck
Posts: 10,742
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm X View Post
you say it like its brand new information. Did you just learn this with your newfound worldliness and consequent authority over all things THE PHILLiPINES
Do you have anything to add or will you continue trying to bait me into arguing with you like you do in every thread?
ampers& is offline  
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Enjoying married life.
 
Wigglytuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: lolcat
Posts: 19,642
                     
Re: Race and Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post

Knock. Knock. Knock. Mrs. Bachmann, are you in there?
Lol!!! It's not just her, some of our friends from the politics thread share this view. Only they are dead serious
Wigglytuff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome