Top ten favourite novels - Page 4 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,081
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Not sure these are really my absolute top 10 favorites, but these are the ones that came to the surface when I jogged my memory a bit:

A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth
Nostromo – Joseph Conrad
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle – Haruki Murakami
Saturday – Ian McEwan
The Quiet American – Graham Greene
Smiley’s People – John Le Carré
Blood Meridian – Cormac McCarthy
My Name is Red - Orhan Pamuk
Disgrace – J.M. Coetzee
The Collector – John Fowles
stromatolite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,701
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Ooh, I love The Collector. It totally freaked me out. I could only read it when it was daytime or in a cafe when I wasn't alone.
shap_half is offline  
post #48 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
stromatolite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 31,081
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
Ooh, I love The Collector. It totally freaked me out. I could only read it when it was daytime or in a cafe when I wasn't alone.
It's definitely not a book for the faint-hearted, but it's so freaking good.

Come to think of it, a lot of the books on my list are pretty gruesome, or at least have some gruesome bits in them. What does that say about me?
stromatolite is offline  
post #49 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,255
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagsquet View Post
No order

The catcher in the rye
Le joueur d'échec
Animal farm
L'éducation sentimentale
Les liaisons dangereuses
La plaisanterie
1984
Bel-ami
L'étranger
The Picture of Dorian Gray


Still young though
heard it's Flaubert's masterpiece, better than Bovary. Should read it sometime..
fantic is offline  
post #50 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,632
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

The Lord of the Rings
War and Peace
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Count of Monte Cristo
Sense and Sensibility
Anna Karenina
The Hobbit
Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #51 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Pheobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,871
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Infinite Jest-- David Foster Wallace
Madame Bovary-- Gustave Flaubert
The Road-- Cormac McCarthy
The Great Gatsby-- Scott F. Fitzgerald
Laughter in the Dark-- Vladimir Nabokov
Lolita-- Vladimir Nabokov
Requiem for a Dream-- Hubert Selby, Jr.
The Rules of Attraction-- Bret Easton Ellis
The Unbearable Lightness of Being-- Milan Kundera
The Picture of Dorian Grey-- Oscar Wilde

I realize how misogynist this list is, and my reflex was to throw in some Plath, but I really appreciated her collections of poetry and loathed the Bell Jar. So, it wouldn't count. If I was in a different space right now maybe To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf would have made my top 10.
Pheobo is offline  
post #52 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2013, 06:00 PM
country flag G&R
Senior Member
 
G&R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Milan
Posts: 3,920
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

No order:
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Journey to The End Of The Night - Celine
Memoirs Of Hadrian - Marguerite Yourcenar
Grapes Of Wrath - Steinbeck
The Plague - Albert Camus
1984 - George Orwell
The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
The Catcher In The Rye - Salinger
Crime And Punishment - Dostoevski
On The Road - Kerouac

SUPPORTING DANIELA HANTUCHOVA,JELENA JANKOVIC,ALONA BONDARENKO, NADIA PETROVA, PETRA CETKOVSKA, EKATERINA MAKAROVA, VERA ZVONAREVA, KAROLINA PLISKOVA, ALEX DULGHERU, IRINA-CAMELIA BEGU, JULIA GOERGES AND ITALIAN GIRLS
Originally Posted by Uranium
Someone please tell me Franny was injured, please
Posted by GoDominique
Yes, she suffers from a head injury (brain death).
G&R is offline  
post #53 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter
 
Sam L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Shangri-La
Posts: 35,175
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
Six months later, and I've made no changes. For the most part, I prefer contemporary literature.
The Reader is pretty good. Hmm, it's only been 6 months? I've definitely been doing a lot of reading.




Sam L is offline  
post #54 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Barrie_Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fenway Park
Posts: 155,448
                     
I don't think I would make any changes either and I read an awful lot. There are some wonderful books that do not make my list that are wonderful though and some authors I really enjoy. Like Herman Wouk, Steinbeck, McMurtry, Fitzgerald, Twain. I like most of Dickens and I like Mary Shelly. There are more British authors I enjoy as well. Victor Hugo and Les Miserabe is brilliant, though I do not like the movie as I despise musicals.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Barrie_Dude is offline  
post #55 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 13,765
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Not the greatest novels, your personal favourites.
k.

1. Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
2. Voyage au Bout de la Nuit by Céline
3. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
4. Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
5. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
6. Les Particules Élémentaires by Michel Houellebecq
7. Les Bienveillantes by Jonathan Littell
8. Julian by Gore Vidal
9. Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
10. Modern Ranch Living by Mark Poirier

------------

11. Vidas Secas by Graciliano Ramos
12. Mort à Crédit by Céline
13. Ulysses by James Joyce
14. Mémoires d'Hadrien by Marguerite Yourcenar
15. Les Âmes Grises by Philippe Claudel
16. Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
17. Cien Años de Soledad by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
18. El Amor en los Tiempos del Cólera by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
19. Extension du Domaine de la Lutte by Michel Houellebecq
20. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
21. Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald
22. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

Kvitova * Vaidisova * Garcia * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #56 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Corswandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 12 o'clock high
Posts: 13,765
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Typed in the previous post in a rush, and probably didn't give enough credit to stuff that I actually enjoyed reading as opposed to stuff that I admired for its literary qualities (Marisha Pessl notwithstanding). But I think it strikes a good balance between stuff that I read and loved before I was 25 y.o. and stuff I read later, including when I began reading The Immortal Classics of World Literature in earnest (c. 2008-2012).

I just forgot to add to the second tier (#11-25) the following:

Ardor Guerrero by Antonio Muñoz Molina
Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cubas by Machado de Assis
Funeral Games by Mary Renault

Kvitova * Vaidisova * Garcia * Robson


Eu Jogo Ténis


Prokofiev + Son Goku = pwnage
Corswandt is offline  
post #57 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,255
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corswandt View Post
k.

1. Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman
2. Voyage au Bout de la Nuit by Céline
3. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl
4. Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo
5. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
6. Les Particules Élémentaires by Michel Houellebecq
7. Les Bienveillantes by Jonathan Littell
8. Julian by Gore Vidal
9. Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
10. Modern Ranch Living by Mark Poirier

------------

11. Vidas Secas by Graciliano Ramos
12. Mort à Crédit by Céline
13. Ulysses by James Joyce
14. Mémoires d'Hadrien by Marguerite Yourcenar
15. Les Âmes Grises by Philippe Claudel
16. Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth
17. Cien Años de Soledad by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
18. El Amor en los Tiempos del Cólera by Gabriel Garcia Márquez
19. Extension du Domaine de la Lutte by Michel Houellebecq
20. Orlando by Virginia Woolf
21. Austerlitz by W.G. Sebald
22. Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
Only read Grossman, Roth(interesting choice by the way It WAS a fun read), Vidal from your list Practically neglected reading novels recently, just finished Waugh's 'Man in Arms' and trying to finish Anna Karenina (read through 2/3 so far) Should check out Blood Meridian

Last edited by fantic; Jan 20th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
fantic is offline  
post #58 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Miranda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 23,225
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

did't read a lot of novels so cannot make out 10

but my ultimate favourite is always:

"Gone with the wind"

I like "100 years of solitude" of its unique style and imagination, but i don't like the part about incest and it seems to be Garcia's style. The same came in his other books too

Rafa! Rafa! Rafa!

Ennis and Jack found something most people don't ever find in this life...true love, the deepest, purest, most beautiful thing in the universes. Ennis and Jack have TRUE LOVE. They are SOULMATES. They have a love so deep, so pure, so strong, that it transcends everything, it's eternal.
Miranda is offline  
post #59 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,701
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R View Post
No order:
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Journey to The End Of The Night - Celine
Memoirs Of Hadrian - Marguerite Yourcenar
Grapes Of Wrath - Steinbeck
The Plague - Albert Camus
1984 - George Orwell
The Great Gatsby - Fitzgerald
The Catcher In The Rye - Salinger
Crime And Punishment - Dostoevski
On The Road - Kerouac
I tried reading Memoirs of Hadrian - I could not do it. It was too much.

I actually really don't like Catcher in the Rye. If I hear another 20 year old compare himself to Holden Caufield, I will punch him in the face. Really? You see yourself in a self-serving loser?
shap_half is offline  
post #60 of 155 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,632
                     
Re: Top ten favourite novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half View Post
I tried reading Memoirs of Hadrian - I could not do it. It was too much.

I actually really don't like Catcher in the Rye. If I hear another 20 year old compare himself to Holden Caufield, I will punch him in the face. Really? You see yourself in a self-serving loser?
Me neither. It's the only book I've ever read and just not enjoyed it for a single moment. But I pretty much love all the other "classics", I think every fan of literature is allowed one classic they don't enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome