77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :) - Page 13 - TennisForum.com

View Poll Results: Should Gay Marriage be legal?
Yes (please explain your thoughts below) 187 87.38%
No, on religious grounds 15 7.01%
No (please explain your thoughts below) 12 5.61%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Stanning for Andi
 
nevetssllim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,246
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
I think that the figure of both a father and a mother is very important, especially the mother, I just don't like the idea of two male homossexuals adopting children sorry.
I grew up perfectly fine despite not living with my mother since I was 4-5yo.

Hlavackova Benesova Strycova Williams Schiavone Pironkova Koukalova Shvedova Voskoboeva Riske Raymond Petrova Twitter

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"
nevetssllim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Au Revoir, Amélie !!!
 
BARBIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TITAN
Posts: 201,143
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Yes, I do



Just look at who my favourite player is in my avatar/banner So how can I not support it ???
BARBIE is online now  
post #183 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
égalité's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hingistan
Posts: 13,006
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
I think that the figure of both a father and a mother is very important, especially the mother, I just don't like the idea of two male homossexuals adopting children sorry.
You're allowed not to like it. I don't think your personal likes and dislikes are valid bases for laws, however.

Bitttchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh You Better Pay It Honey! The Devil Is A Liar!!!!! Bitches Get Interviews And Shit? Where They Do That At Honey? Girls Are Late Honey!!!! The Queen Needs To Get Into It Honey Cause The Girls Is Late Out Here! Yes Honey Im Throwing Epic Shade!

Management!
égalité is offline  
post #184 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 06:15 PM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,706
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
You're allowed not to like it. I don't think your personal likes and dislikes are valid bases for laws, however.

Exactly. I don't think stupid, uneducated people should be allowed to have kids...but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.
Ryan is offline  
post #185 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Onslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,183
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by égalité View Post
You're allowed not to like it. I don't think your personal likes and dislikes are valid bases for laws, however.
the simple truth is that society sees women as better parents than men. that's why gay adoption law would simply result more discrimination against men. in adoption or custody cases, lesbians couples and single women would (still) be favored over gay/straight men, no matter what the law says. this is why the most equal law is a law that starts from child's right to both biological parents.

spermbanks and womb renting should be illegal.
Onslow is offline  
post #186 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Moderator - BFTP
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,367
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Yes. If two people love each other and want the state to recognize it then they should be allowed to do so. And they should be allowed to call it a "marriage"-period.

Having said that I also support the right of religious groups to marry (or not marry) whomever they choose to.

We'll see if Maryland becomes the first state this november to actually vote to make gay marriage legal rather than have it legislated.
Rollo is online now  
post #187 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,498
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Exactly. I don't think stupid, uneducated people should be allowed to have kids...but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.
Exactly I could name plenty of people around my age who are stupid, barely above retarded iq and are having kids

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #188 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Olórin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 13,559
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
I think that the figure of both a father and a mother is very important, especially the mother, I just don't like the idea of two male homossexuals adopting children sorry.
Very important does not equal essential, and there are many ways of having a mother figure without having a physical mother around. Many children have mothers physically around who don't act as good mother figures.

So I find the second part of your statement to be something of logical non-sequitur and based in your own cultural prejudices rather than good social reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla Luce View Post
(1)A lot is being made of the record Serena has vs Sharapova. It is being used as THE reason she will win again lol. Good thing we have players like Tomas Berdych (who had an even worse record vs Nadal) to remind us of the fallacy of this nonsense logic.
(2)You stans may as well sleep well tonight because tomorrow the a replay of Lucie's winning moment over and over again will haunt your dreams for weeks to come
(3)The stars have aligned perfectly for the upset of the 21st century. All the best Garbine
(4) There is no path to victory for Williams.Keys wins in straight easy sets.
Olórin is offline  
post #189 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM
La Divina Assoluta
 
The Dawntreader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,029
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olórin View Post
Very important does not equal essential, and there are many ways of having a mother figure without having a physical mother around. Many children have mothers physically around who don't act as good mother figures.

So I find the second part of your statement to be something of logical non-sequitur and based in your own cultural prejudices rather than good social reasoning.
I agree. I think humans as a species have the intelligence to understand that nature isn't always a pre-requisite for a functional family unit. From what I've heard/seen, gay fathers and gay mothers can carry out the same nuclear role.

The natural physical demands that a child needs from a mother aren't necessarily essential, but that's not to say I'm undermining the importance of the maternal influence.
The Dawntreader is online now  
post #190 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,011
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotre View Post
Why? What makes a gay couple inherently worse at parenting than a 16 yearold single mum? Nothing at all.
You don't need to pick on single mums to make your point.

What makes the average gay couple inherently worse than the average straight couple at parenting? Nothing at all.
Dave. is offline  
post #191 of 393 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,074
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
You don't need to pick on single mums to make your point.

What makes the average gay couple inherently worse than the average straight couple at parenting? Nothing at all.
Because comparing a heterosexual couple with a child to a homosexual couple with a child wouldn't prove my point. If lacking one of the "very important" parental figures is what makes homosexuals unsuitable parents then surely a 16 yearold single parent is an equally, if not more disagreeable prospect.
KIG. is offline  
post #192 of 393 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,498
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

The bill passed its first reading last year, and has been going through public consultations. Very hopeful that it will be passed by the end of this year or early next year

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
post #193 of 393 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 4,311
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Yes.

I think it's a crime against humanity to stop other people, or try and stop other people, from trying to find happiness through love.
EdinburghMan is offline  
post #194 of 393 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,246
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

IMO, being of the same gender is not properly some "unique disqalifying factor". As the child of a longterm but essentially loveless heterosexual marriage, I can say that there'd properly be other reasons to prohibit a marriage, or for a government to order one dissolved. (Maybe all marriages should need 2B renewed every 10 years or so).

And I'd guess that parents who are heavy smokers (and-or drunks) can damage kids more than another couple free of those vices, who happen 2B of the same gender. I also have no specific objection to group marriages among consenting adults, FWIW. And a traditional nuclear family is not necessarily the best place for a child.

But the LA mall owner who banned Manny Pacquiao for being intolerant on this is being quite intolerant himself (like the politicians who wanted to ban Chik-Fil-A from opening in their cities last year). Again re. the last point, I'm all for the right to voluntarily boycott CFA, or any other business ppl find morally objectionable.

FWIW, I haven't voted (and won't vote) in this poll, because it implies a greater role for government in what a relationship is defined as than I think is proper. Things like next-of-kin status could be determined in other ways.
*JR* is offline  
post #195 of 393 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
kittyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 23,498
                     
Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JR* View Post
IMO, being of the same gender is not properly some "unique disqalifying factor". As the child of a longterm but essentially loveless heterosexual marriage, I can say that there'd properly be other reasons to prohibit a marriage, or for a government to order one dissolved. (Maybe all marriages should need 2B renewed every 10 years or so).

And I'd guess that parents who are heavy smokers (and-or drunks) can damage kids more than another couple free of those vices, who happen 2B of the same gender. I also have no specific objection to group marriages among consenting adults, FWIW. And a traditional nuclear family is not necessarily the best place for a child.

But the LA mall owner who banned Manny Pacquiao for being intolerant on this is being quite intolerant himself (like the politicians who wanted to ban Chik-Fil-A from opening in their cities last year). Again re. the last point, I'm all for the right to voluntarily boycott CFA, or any other business ppl find morally objectionable.

FWIW, I haven't voted (and won't vote) in this poll, because it implies a greater role for government in what a relationship is defined as than I think is proper. Things like next-of-kin status could be determined in other ways.
Without meaning to go off topic, I think that the idea of group marriage is quite different to same sex marriage. Same sex marriage still involves two people in a committed relationship, the only different to a male-female relationship is well... science (similar genitalia)

Thank you for everything Mercedes, now please be nice to Socrates for me, perhaps fetch him a bird or two. We love you, always.
kittyking is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome