I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,253
                     
I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Anyone have a special recommendation that is not the most common thing to visit in Paris but loved it? Thanks


First time abroad!!! At f*cking last!!!!!!! (I don't count Portugal )

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.

Last edited by Sammo; Jun 27th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Sammo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,011
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

I'm sure others will have more stuff to recommend but for me:


Sit on the steps of the Sacre Coeur and just enjoy the view/entertainment.

I think the views from the Arc de Triomphe are nicer than from the Eiffel Tower (...because they actually include the Eiffel Tower ). Plus if you're EU and under 26 it's free! (as is pretty much everything else apart from the Eiffel Tower)

There's a pretty good sax player at Charles de Gaulle Etoile metro station too. I missed about 10 trains last time just listening to him.

The Jardin du Luxembourg should be just lovely in August too!

Last edited by Dave.; Jun 26th, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Dave. is offline  
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Stanning for Andi
 
nevetssllim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 21,124
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

I'd also put in a vote for the Jardin du Luxembourg too.

I think one of the best places for views of Paris is the Tour de Montparnasse. I think it's cheaper, the queues are shorter and you get some incredible views of the Eiffel Tower. Not to mention the building's an eyesore so you don't have to see it.




Hlavackova Benesova Strycova Williams Schiavone Pironkova Koukalova Shvedova Voskoboeva Riske Raymond Petrova Twitter

Sam Smith on Hlavackova
Quote:
"I will now call her LP Hlavackova - low percentage Hlavackova. I hope she doesn't drive a car the way she drives her groundstrokes!"

Last edited by nevetssllim; Jun 26th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
nevetssllim is offline  
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Coco Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bile yer heid
Posts: 72,573
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

good luck, you'll need it to find nice people, mostly if you don't speak french

i had horrible experiences in Paris and didn't enjoy the city at all, so you better listen to the lovers of the city, not a hater like me

may your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.

Coco Hero is offline  
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:10 AM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
matthias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 94,909
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

i love
Place de innocents and the fontaine

Something was bound to go right sometime today, All these broken pieces fit together to make a perfect picture of us
It got cold and then dark so suddenly and rained, It rained so hard the two of us were the only thing
That we could see for miles and miles
And in the middle of the flood I felt my worth, When you held onto me like I was your little life raft
Please know that you were mine as well
Drops of water hit the ground like God's own tears
And spread out into shapes like Salad bowls and basins and buckets for bailing out the flood
matthias is offline  
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Sports Freak
 
Cashif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,076
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Visited last month and had a lovely time. How many days are you going because I went for just three days and it was too short a time to enjoy anything..Louvre Museum & Versailles Palace were the two places I loved but unfortunately I couldnt go to Sacre Coeur because of shortage of time
Cashif is offline  
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,790
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

It's strange to me that so many people say they've had bad experiences with people who live in Paris. I know almost no French and have no connection to anyone in the city but any time I've gone, everyone has been cordial to me. Obviously not everyone is saying hello on the street to me but the people who work at the hotels, restaurants etc. have been professional and friendly. Maybe I expect less from people, but I've never found the people there any different from other major cities

Anyway, my suggestion is to just randomly walk around the different neighborhoods of Paris especially in the older areas of the city. You should definitely do the touristy stuff because you've never been there but I've always thought the best way to experience a new city is to randomly explore or find a cafe or restaurant to people watch.

Venus Williams-Ana Ivanovic-Serena Williams-Vika Azarenka-Caroline Wozniacki

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammad-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is offline  
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Coco Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bile yer heid
Posts: 72,573
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
i love
Place de innocents and the fontaine
totally one of the most beautiful places i've seen too



together with:


may your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.

Coco Hero is offline  
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Hashim.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lahore
Posts: 23,392
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Yes..don't be yourself

KIM CLIJSTERS & JELENA JANKOVIC
PETRA KVITOVA..ANGELIQUE KERBER..MARIA SHARAPOVA
Hashim. is offline  
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,253
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
I'm sure others will have more stuff to recommend but for me:


Sit on the steps of the Sacre Coeur and just enjoy the view/entertainment.

I think the views from the Arc de Triomphe are nicer than from the Eiffel Tower (...because they actually include the Eiffel Tower ). Plus if you're EU and under 26 it's free! (as is pretty much everything else apart from the Eiffel Tower)

There's a pretty good sax player at Charles de Gaulle Etoile metro station too. I missed about 10 trains last time just listening to him.

The Jardin du Luxembourg should be just lovely in August too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetssllim View Post
I'd also put in a vote for the Jardin du Luxembourg too.

I think one of the best places for views of Paris is the Tour de Montparnasse. I think it's cheaper, the queues are shorter and you get some incredible views of the Eiffel Tower. Not to mention the building's an eyesore so you don't have to see it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
good luck, you'll need it to find nice people, mostly if you don't speak french

i had horrible experiences in Paris and didn't enjoy the city at all, so you better listen to the lovers of the city, not a hater like me
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
i love
Place de innocents and the fontaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashif View Post
Visited last month and had a lovely time. How many days are you going because I went for just three days and it was too short a time to enjoy anything..Louvre Museum & Versailles Palace were the two places I loved but unfortunately I couldnt go to Sacre Coeur because of shortage of time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
It's strange to me that so many people say they've had bad experiences with people who live in Paris. I know almost no French and have no connection to anyone in the city but any time I've gone, everyone has been cordial to me. Obviously not everyone is saying hello on the street to me but the people who work at the hotels, restaurants etc. have been professional and friendly. Maybe I expect less from people, but I've never found the people there any different from other major cities

Anyway, my suggestion is to just randomly walk around the different neighborhoods of Paris especially in the older areas of the city. You should definitely do the touristy stuff because you've never been there but I've always thought the best way to experience a new city is to randomly explore or find a cafe or restaurant to people watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post
totally one of the most beautiful places i've seen too



together with:


Thanks everyone! I'll have all of these suggestions in mind, I'm gonna stay for 6 days

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.

Last edited by Sammo; Jun 26th, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Sammo is offline  
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 28,192
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Pretty much every attraction offer you to climb 300 stairs to see the view from the top.
Really tiring but a lot of fun.

Many Parisians will be out of town in August and it's only tourists. The queues can be long.

Versailles is spectacular.
Wiggly is offline  
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,595
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo View Post
Anyone have a special recommendation that is not the most common thing to visit in Paris but loved it? Thanks


First time abroad!!! At f*cking last!!!!!!! (I don't count Portugal )
Speak some French... or you'll get your ass kicked.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,253
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Speak some French... or you'll get your ass kicked.
Nah, I don't know any French, in most schools the 2nd language taught (after English) here in Spain is French, but in my school it's German

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is offline  
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2012, 06:38 PM
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
 
AjdeNate!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: The City by the Lake.
Posts: 49,160
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

I haven't been for many (too many!) years, but apart from the suggestions that have already been made:

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/#/home
I really enjoyed the view, the museum and the area of Montparnasse. It was a different feel to me than the rest of the tourist-y stuff.

I really liked l'Arc de Triomphe, but it's a mother-fucker of stairs. Don't puff down 2 or 3 ciggies and then try to climb them. I nearly thought I was going to die. But the view is worth it.

If you're looking for a hostel to stay in (not sure your accommodations) I can recommend Aloha: http://www.aloha.fr
Cool, young and they really help with all of the transport or other questions. (It was clean, too, which is important to me!).

Biggest tip: comfortable shoes. Like really, really comfy shoes. I walked more in 9 days than I probably ever had walked in my whole life. The metro is cool, but I found myself walking a lot so I could see and experience.

Lastly… if you get to the area of Montmartre… 2 things:
1. the bathroom at Quick hamburger by the Moulin Rouge is the nastiest most vile wretched place in the universe. 2. there are a lot of sex shoppes and you will get propositioned by hookers just walking by. Possible 3…find Jim Morrison's grave in Père Lachaise Cemetery (it's scary but cool to walk around the cemetery).

I think that's all I can offer.
AjdeNate! is offline  
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2012, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Sammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Self-made gilded cage
Posts: 33,253
                     
Re: I'm gonna visit Paris in August! Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjdeNate! View Post
I haven't been for many (too many!) years, but apart from the suggestions that have already been made:

http://www.tourmontparnasse56.com/#/home
I really enjoyed the view, the museum and the area of Montparnasse. It was a different feel to me than the rest of the tourist-y stuff.

I really liked l'Arc de Triomphe, but it's a mother-fucker of stairs. Don't puff down 2 or 3 ciggies and then try to climb them. I nearly thought I was going to die. But the view is worth it.

If you're looking for a hostel to stay in (not sure your accommodations) I can recommend Aloha: http://www.aloha.fr
Cool, young and they really help with all of the transport or other questions. (It was clean, too, which is important to me!).

Biggest tip: comfortable shoes. Like really, really comfy shoes. I walked more in 9 days than I probably ever had walked in my whole life. The metro is cool, but I found myself walking a lot so I could see and experience.

Lastly… if you get to the area of Montmartre… 2 things:
1. the bathroom at Quick hamburger by the Moulin Rouge is the nastiest most vile wretched place in the universe. 2. there are a lot of sex shoppes and you will get propositioned by hookers just walking by. Possible 3…find Jim Morrison's grave in Père Lachaise Cemetery (it's scary but cool to walk around the cemetery).

I think that's all I can offer.
Those were really cool suggestions! Thanks I might do the Cemetery one

The belief that man is an irresolute creature pulled this way and that by two forces of equal strength, alternately winning and losing the battle for his soul; the conviction that human life is nothing more than an uncertain struggle between heaven and hell; the faith in two opposed entities, Satan and Christ - all this was bound to engender those internal discords in which the mind, excited by the incessant fighting, stimulated as it were by the constant promises and threats, ends up by giving in and prostitutes itself to whichever of the two combatants has been more obstinate in its pursuit. Life isn't black and white, it's gold.
Sammo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome