France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY! - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
country flag JN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 26,386
                     
France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

SERIOUSLY? France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

May 21 | by YBF


In a shocking move which some think is blatantly racist, France has decided to cancel the release of the major hit film Think Like A Man -- due to the casts' alleged "lack of diversity."


Tim Story's blockbuster hit Think Like A Man has raked in over $73 million since its April 20th release. But that means nothing to the french movie guild.

While tons of French films and films from any country are produced year after year with "Black characters" that can be counted on one hand (if at all), France has decided that Think Like A Man DOES NOT promote diversity and has been banned. So the films with all white casts do promote diversity?

Majority of films starring majority black casts never make it overseas. Because it is said that the people of those countries "will not relate and will not want to see that." This also affects how black and other ethnicity are perceived globally if there's never anything allowed to counteract negative stereotypes. So how does it makes sense to ban a positive film starring a cast of minorities when the film could actually stimulate diversity in the future? Global Voices offered an answer saying,

“Surprising as it may be, the answer lies in the fact that the film has an all-black cast. French cinema is often pointed at for not fairly displaying all components of the country’s multiethnic population. Although the recent success of the movie Les Intouchables, which earned French African actor Omar Sy the Cesar award for Best Actor in 2012, caused great pride and hope among French nationals from Africa and the Caribbean, it was not to be the turning point for a deep and lasting change.”


If it still doesn't make sense, French blog People Bo Kay added (translated), "The French state has had a sociopolitical strategy which favors interracial relationships rather than valuing communities. In the comedy ‘Think like a Man', the focus is on black couples."



So we're just ignoring the relationship between Gabrielle Union's character and "Turtle"/Jerry Ferrara? This sounds like some ish they'd try in Hollywood. It's interesting to note that France also bans the release of Tyler Perry flicks.

“Black actor and producer Tyler Perry’s movies are never scheduled in any French movie theaters or are only released in DVDs, even though he has been used to leading the US box-office, as with ‘Why did I get Married’ and ‘For Colored Girls’. The French society acts hypocritically, when it refuses to show movies from black producers who earn millions from conveying a positive message to the African diaspora through their films.”


Do you think the French are being racist in a reverse way? Or do you agree with their explanation?

SPEAK ON IT!

(Source)


JN is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,587
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

In before the lock.
debopero is offline  
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,004
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Second before the lock.

For Dante, it follows then, that the only way to get into Hell is to insist upon it. One must deliberately exclude himself from grace by hardening his heart against it. Hell is what the damned have actively and insistently wished for.

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Shakespeare
HippityHop is offline  
post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Alizé Molik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dumbéa
Posts: 4,646
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

I'm not sure if this actually happened :/ or could possibly happen. Is there a source for this that isn't a blog/online "magazine" that steals it's stories from blogs?

At any rate, very few of Tyler Perry's movies (or similar films like this one) get realeased anywhere outside the US. He is like a superstar in the US but not known at all anywhere else. I would imagine that this film would be no exception to that. Just because a film has been popular in the US does not mean that it will be successful or even picked up for distribution anywhere else in the world.

BARTOLI, Marion ♠ CORNET, Alizé ♣ MLADENOVIC, Kristina ♥ GARCIA, Caroline
Alizé Molik is offline  
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 770
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Yeah, I don't buy it. I googled it and all the articles reference the same original blog post. French society has racial issues, but this doesn't make any sense. Need more proof.
ToopsTame is offline  
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,979
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

I only see one "black" person there?

However, the title "Think Like a Man" does suggest "LACK OF DIVERSITY".
PhilePhile is offline  
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2012, 11:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Djezonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,249
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

France wouldn't ban a movie unless it's extremely violent/graphic. I think the last one that was banned (meaning no theatrical release) was Baise-moi, and it was like a decade ago.

I went to see Dreamgirls and Precious for instance, so movies with "black characters" definitely get released over here.

That being said, they probably faced distribution problems because Tyler Perry and any actor starring in this movie are complete nobodies in France. So the people in charge of these things must have been pretty much convinced that it would bomb.
Djezonfly is offline  
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 920
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Unbelievable how some people don't bother using their common sense. They just accept everything they read and assume it's true
hobahobaspirit is offline  
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
I am the only one now
 
Wally.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Down a rabbit hole
Posts: 36,156
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djezonfly View Post
France wouldn't ban a movie unless it's extremely violent/graphic. I think the last one that was banned (meaning no theatrical release) was Baise-moi, and it was like a decade ago.

I went to see Dreamgirls and Precious for instance, so movies with "black characters" definitely get released over here.

That being said, they probably faced distribution problems because Tyler Perry and any actor starring in this movie are complete nobodies in France. So the people in charge of these things must have been pretty much convinced that it would bomb.
Quoted for truth.

S.J.WilliamsA.IvanovićP.O.GovortsovaA.RadwańskaM.RybárikováA.KerberP.KvitováB.Jovanovski
D.VekicD.KasatkinaE.VesninaC.GiorgiP.CetkovskáKr.PlíškováD.CibulkováA.Pavlyuchenkova

Suicide Champion: 2013 Miami; 2012 Doha; 2011 Dubai; 2010 Indian Wells, Bad Gastein; 2008 Melbourne, New Haven, Prague; 2007 Toronto
PAW Champion: 2015 US Open; 2012 Tokyo, Moscow; 2011 Roland Garros; 2010 Bali, Portoroz
TT Singles Champion: 2015 100k Poitiers; 2011 25k Mildura
QUEEN ZHENYA 4 LIFE!! Perfection!
Wally. is offline  
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,395
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

I dunno about this movie, but maybe they just ban Tyler Perry movies because they're all shit. I tip my hat to France for keeping him out of their country tbh.
dybbuk is offline  
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
country flag JN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 26,386
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
I'm not sure if this actually happened :/ or could possibly happen. Is there a source for this that isn't a blog/online "magazine" that steals it's stories from blogs?

At any rate, very few of Tyler Perry's movies (or similar films like this one) get realeased anywhere outside the US. He is like a superstar in the US but not known at all anywhere else. I would imagine that this film would be no exception to that. Just because a film has been popular in the US does not mean that it will be successful or even picked up for distribution anywhere else in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToopsTame View Post
Yeah, I don't buy it. I googled it and all the articles reference the same original blog post. French society has racial issues, but this doesn't make any sense. Need more proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobahobaspirit View Post
Unbelievable how some people don't bother using their common sense. They just accept everything they read and assume it's true
Funny how many of you assume if a story's not in the mainstream media, it's untrue. Blogs and social media are the reason for the Trayvon Martin killing gaining national and then international attention. If you wanna play ostrich by sticking your heads in the sand when something rubs you the wrong way, simply do so and STFU, until you can prove your point, which none of you have done. Honestly, I hope this shit isn't true, and if it turns out to be, I'll wish it weren't.


About

Global Voices is a community of more than 500 bloggers and translators around the world who work together to bring you reports from blogs and citizen media everywhere, with emphasis on voices that are not ordinarily heard in international mainstream media.
Global Voices seeks to aggregate, curate, and amplify the global conversation online - shining light on places and people other media often ignore. We work to develop tools, institutions and relationships that will help all voices, everywhere, to be heard.
From a link in the OP:
Martinique: “Think Like A Man”, Just Not in France

Knowledge won't necessarily kill you, but ignorance definitely will.
JN is offline  
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 770
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN View Post
Funny how many of you assume if a story's not in the mainstream media, it's untrue. Blogs and social media are the reason for the Trayvon Martin killing gaining national and then international attention. If you wanna play ostrich by sticking your heads in the sand when something rubs you the wrong way, simply do so and STFU, until you can prove your point, which none of you have done. Honestly, I hope this shit isn't true, and if it turns out to be, I'll wish it weren't.


About

Global Voices is a community of more than 500 bloggers and translators around the world who work together to bring you reports from blogs and citizen media everywhere, with emphasis on voices that are not ordinarily heard in international mainstream media.
Global Voices seeks to aggregate, curate, and amplify the global conversation online - shining light on places and people other media often ignore. We work to develop tools, institutions and relationships that will help all voices, everywhere, to be heard.
From a link in the OP:
Martinique: “Think Like A Man”, Just Not in France

Knowledge won't necessarily kill you, but ignorance definitely will.
LOL you need to relax. So far it's been posted by one blogger, no corroboration by any other sources at all, just other people cutting and pasting from the same original blogpost. Doesn't pass any test of reasonableness.
ToopsTame is offline  
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
country flag JN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 26,386
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToopsTame View Post
LOL you need to relax. So far it's been posted by one blogger, no corroboration by any other sources at all, just other people cutting and pasting from the same original blogpost. Doesn't pass any test of reasonableness.
That was my entire point. Wait and see before dismissing it like so many did with the Trayvon Martin case.
JN is offline  
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
country flag JN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicity, mayne
Posts: 26,386
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

And when it's proven true, there'll be no need for you to create a thread, cuz I've already created it for you!
JN is offline  
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,899
                     
Re: France BANS The Release OF "Think Like A Man" Over LACK OF DIVERSITY!

I wish Tyler Perry movies were banned in the US.
LeRoy. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome